Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 8.6.14 (Read 39 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I just have time for a quick walk-by this morning.

I'm also glad everyone is OK, Slo - scary stuff. Dave, I got a kick out of the video of the farmer herding his cattle with a trombone - who knew there'd be musical cows?

I went 3.25 RW miles on the track last night at a local racewalking training session. There was thunder nearby, but nothing in the immediate vicinity. Then 5.5 RW miles this morning in a cooling light rain at 4 o'dark. I felt pretty good, given that I had a workout about 10 hours earlier - closest to a 'double' as I've come. I have many meetings today, and the first is at 8am, so I'm outta here.

Have a great Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Good morning, Jay, and everyone else.

Slo—glad everyone’s okay.

Andrew—a 45 pound vest?  Now that’s a training regimen!

Dave—I meant to mention, I saw Trombone Shorty (aka Troy Andrews) in Nawlins one time.  Awesome.

EZ 5 today.  Routine run until the last 100 yards when a neighbor’s dog came barreling across the lawn (I presume; I didn’t see this) and head-butted me in the leg almost toppling me over.  WTF?  I see this dog often and he barks a couple of times but never seems a real threat.  I don’t know if this was his bizarre way of trying to get me to play or what but a head-butting dog is a first for me.  I think we were both startled and he barked a few times and trotted away.  Odd.

Be safe. Be kind.

Dave59

3.58 "recovery" miles this morning after reviewing results from yesterday's primary elections.  Most the stuff went the way I wanted.  24% turnout in my county.  I'd complain about the people who don't bother, but Cindy is one of those so I'll keep quiet.

I ran hard yesterday.  The rain kept our numbers down.  There were 3 people faster than me and 3 people slower.  I ran to the hill by myself somewhere between the 2 groups.  The 3 slower people did a short workout and headed back a little early.  I did not want to run all by myself in the rain on the way back so I did a 2-mile "sprint" to stay up with the faster people.  I made it until the last half mile where they picked it up beyond my current physical abilities.  My legs were sore all day yesterday.

Tramps - Trombone Shorty is like the Tiger Woods of trombones.  There are videos of him playing at age 13.  It would be fun to see him in person.

Morning all!  Tired today - drove home from Maine Monday night so I could meet friends for a 6am swim yesterday -- did 1 mile in the lake then jumped on my bike for 9.5 miles.    Spent some time with my lovey Maria in the afternoon and made dinner for her parents and dh before I went out to dinner with a couple of nursing school friends -- trying to squeeze everything I can into my days off.

Have a wonderful WEDnesday my friends!!

denise

mrrun

Hi all,

Good walks/runs so far this morning.

Slo - glad everyone's ok

swimming in walden pond yesterday was easier then the 9 mile run this morning. however the sun came thru the clouds and was magnificent which i tried to capture, but didn't really succeed - however why waste a picture?

enjoy the day, marj

Mariposai

Swimming in Walden Pond is in my bucket list before I die. Lovely picture.

Denise, you sure know how to do a lot in one day. One mile swim, and biking...wow....  you tri-girl!!!

Well, Tuesday is gone with the wind http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvWADo6KPzA.

But Wednesday is here and I went out for a 6 miler to welcome the day.

We have a displaced family living with us while they get power and water back in the place. We are honored with their presence in our humble home. Having them here sure brings the impact of the fire that much closer. Ohh two other fires started in Winthrop yesterday, This one closer to fjordrunner's house. We are still safe in Omak. Thanks for your guy's concern and support.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Wednesday AM,

And thanks for the Wednesday well-wishes, deez. 

Tough day at work so any good vibes most appreciated.

Not to worry, Ribs, will get details out soon--really looking forward to seeing you!

Any results in from Mike?

Wise decision on being prudent with voting comments, Dave .

P'haps Tag can share some insight on the dog phenomenon, Tramps.  (still chuckling at Steve calling "Taggy Butt" over and over...and finally Tag jumping into his stomach)

While I'm over my protective feelings about Walden, I won't swim there .

We did 12 200s last night for 3 miles.  We do one slow, one fast, etc.  I like those; they seem lots easier than 400s and we actually rest 60-90 seconds between the 400s.  I try to keep my pace steady-slow on the slow ones so my overall pace was 7:54.  Other folks go REALLY slow or even walk the slow ones.  Any comments?

And, I have a sore toe from San Fran (REALLY milking it now) that I only felt as a hindrance this am--I've been wearing (alternating) the 2 pairs of Skechers and evidently the cushioning was really working.   In the non-Skechers, I had to slow down.  This would be TMI if y'all weren't all runners, but it feels as if the toe is deciding whether it wants to part with the nail or not.  It just needs to decide, IMO.

I'll just echo deez and wish you a happy, wonderful day.

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Morning!   The Saint goes to work very early on Wednesdays so she left the house before I got up and did 3. I went out at 7:30 and ran with a fitness instructor who is a good friend. She asked me how Hudson is doing on his college visits and I gave her a ranking on the five schools we've looked at so far. I had SMU down near the bottom and told her all the reasons why we didn't like the place.

Guess where she graduated from?  Oh well.  Size 10.5 shoe, slightly smaller mouth.  For the record, my middle son Travis has his MFA from SMU so it's not as if I trashed the place, but the tour was pretty poor.

Spending the whole day writing a diagnostic kind of questionnaire with a Likert scale for the responses, which you all have seen before I'm sure. Ever take a survey that has an answer grid that goes:  "Never, Sometimes, Most of the Time, Always" or similar?  Twocat knows this.  What is your bias, an odd number of response choices or an even number?  It's important so think about that.  Of all the development work I do, this is the kind of task that is my favorite.

Spareribs

Tramps

What is your bias, an odd number of response choices or an even number?  

The only time it is appropriate to use an even number of responses in a Likert question is when you want to force respondents to make a choice (much like the "which of these statements comes closest to your own view" sorts of questions).  When you do that, though, you may not be accurately reflecting what the respondent actually thinks and you may be increasing their frustration with the survey (and possibly generating a higher non-completion rate), since it is forcing them to submit responses that they don't really agree with.  In most cases a middle "don't know/not sure/no opinion" category (along with a "does not apply" option) is the preferred choice, since the data you will get is more likely to be an accurate reflection of your respondents' thoughts.

Back to the running forum.

Be safe. Be kind.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Tramps.  The argument has always fascinated me and it comes up every time.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Ever take a survey that has an answer grid that goes, "Never, Sometimes, Most of the Time, Always" or similar?  Twocat knows this.  What is your bias, an odd number of response choices or an even number?  It's important so think about that.  Of all the development work I do, this is the kind of task that is my favorite.

not my favorite ‘cause there’s never a “depends” to make sure the data you get are good.

Would you ever swim in Walden Pond?
                        . . .  a.  Never
                        . . .  b.  Sometimes
                        . . .  c.  Most of the Time
                        . . .  d.  Always
                        . . .  e.  depends.
                        If “depends,” depends on what?
                        . . .  a.  weather/air temperature
                        . . .  b.  water temperature
                        . . .  c.  goggles
                         . . . d.  whether or not Thoreau did it 
                         . . . e.  whether or not Marj and Henry did too <<<(pictures)>>>
                         . . . f.  whether or not posie and meow/meow do it 
                        . . . . . .  in September with as many others too <<<(pictures)>>>
                        . . .  g.  swimming suit to wear or not <<<(pictures)>>>
                         . . . h.  more than hour after eating

. . . i.  what's on the other side

. . . .j . swimming partner
                         . . . k.  other _____________________

ps - I thought swimming was the one thing posie didn't do

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

mrrun

Tet - the real Walden Pond swimmer is LaT

survey comment - agree with Tramps, but since fewer people are answering them, they're even more biased

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

Any results in from Mike?

Yes.  I was 3rd in the 100 and 2nd in the 1500.  Unfortunately, my name was left off the results list.  After receiving no reply from my email, I called them and was assured that it would be corrected...I'll have to stay on top of that...it is very frustrating.  I have the 10K, this Saturday.  It will be nice when it's over so I can back to my regular training.

My internet is out at home...I hope DW paid the bill...

Okay--that's all I have time for--see ya!

Only time for a quick drive-by post today. Ran approx 6 miles around the lake with a friend this morning. It was "approx" because I forgot my Garmin, which makes me feel almost naked on a run -- very uncomfortable.

Good running to all!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Interesting explanation about the survey Tramps.  My first thought was that an even number would be better, as it would force wishy-washy people like me to make a decision.

Mariposai, hugs to you and your friends.

Scary incident Slo....glad everyone was ok.

Mike, that sounds great.  Are you happy with how you did?  Can't wait to hear about the 10K.  Get to the line on time eh?

Aamos, only on a running forum can I read about wandering toenails, and think, hey, that is kind of interesting!

I ran 7.55 miles this morning, with a few intervals thrown in there after a 5.5 mile warm up.  I haven't done any kind of intervals in ages.....but last night I was down at the school picking blackberries for a pie I will make today, and some guy was doing intervals, and just watching, I got inspired.

So, I did 3 x 1/4 mile, with 1/4 mile jogs inbetween.  I didn't have my glasses on, and so couldn't configure my Garmin to do this accounting automatically.

My legs felt like cinder blocks on the first one.  But, all in all, not too bad.

Paces for the 3 were:  7:25, 7:29, 7:44.  Since I thought I ran the 3rd one faster than the second, I guess I have no sense of pace or I was getting tired already.  Anyway, felt great to do a run that had some "work" in it.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."