Masters Running

40/40 Thread for Week Ending 8/4/13 (Read 22 times)

Tramps

I signed up for Columbus.

Speaking of which...can you explain the "union blue" namesake?  I associate it with the Civil War (maybe because I live in Virginia) but I know the Blue Jackets have somehow adopted it, too.  What's the connection?  I figured I need to get my references straight if we're going to be seeing more of each other in the Metropolitan Division.  (What a godawful name!)

Be safe. Be kind.

MM #7877

Speaking of which...can you explain the "union blue" namesake?  I associate it with the Civil War (maybe because I live in Virginia) but I know the Blue Jackets have somehow adopted it, too.  What's the connection?  I figured I need to get my references straight if we're going to be seeing more of each other in the Metropolitan Division.  (What a godawful name!)

Yes, I hate the Metro name too. I'm also one of the rare CBJ fans that didnt want to move east. I prefer the central and 8 pm starts because I could get more done in evening before the game starts. Also, all of the old Central teams (Chicago - Detroit - St Louis - Nashville) are all actually closer to drive to (except for Pittsburgh). And I do go on road trips to follow the team. (I'm also a full season ticket holder and yet live 2 hours away from Columbus).

The CBJ were named Blue Jackets as a point to honor Ohio's contribution to the Civil War, which included sending in an artillery division (hence the cannon in the arena which fires after every CBJ goal and win). Also, the "union blue" union army uniforms (blue jackets) were mostly manufactured in Ohio. The team actually wears a navy sweater for home games, but when they released the alternate cannon jersey a couple seasons back, the blue in the jersey is actually colored "union blue."

There is some that suggest that the team also partially chose the name Blue Jackets after an Indian chief from the Bellefontaine Ohio area known as Chief Blue Jacket. The team does not officially recognize this as part of naming convention. And no one can explain our big green bug mascot or the link it has to Blue Jackets.

So long story longer - I use the ibleedunionblue name on several hockey forums. And it represents my obsession with Blue Jacket hockey. I'm also the proud owner of 13 game worn jerseys. One of which I pick up this weekend. But this is my current collection.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/91154347@N04/sets/72157633469946994/

So living in Virginia (I use to live in Hampton) are you a Capitals or Hurricanes fan?

Philippians 4:13.

Alexander R

"wave run" sounds so much better than "fartlek"

(as in "I just did a fartlek")

I should try to remember that

Mon 10.2 mi (1:23)

Tue 10.2 mi (1:24)

Wed 10.2 mi (1:26)

Thu 7 mi (0:53) treadmill

Fri 10.2 mi (1:28)

Sat 11.7 mi (1:40)

Sun 14.1 mi (1:55)

Total: 73 miles ( 10 hrs 09 min)

Tramps

And no one can explain our big green bug mascot or the link it has to Blue Jackets.

This is what threw me.  I always assumed the "Blue Jackets" name referred to the insect somehow.  Now I know better.  Interesting.

That is some collection!

I grew up in a French-Canadian family in northern NH, just about halfway between Montreal and Boston so hockey was a big deal.  I played until high school and was a Bruins fan.  They're still my "back-up" team to root for.  I'm about an hour from DC so I root for the Caps now.  I used to catch a few games every year back in the Bondra, Olie Kolzig days but with the growing popularity of the team ticket prices have skyrocketed and sell-outs are common now, so I really don't get to see games.  (Almost unheard of in the "old" days.)  Honestly, I don't really follow closely anymore...even the Caps...but I do love hockey and always enjoy seeing a game. It's the only sport I pay any attention to at all.  But I'm not a big TV watcher, and we don't even have cable, so I rarely get to see games. I'm toying with splurging on Gamecenter this year though....we'll see.

Be safe. Be kind.