Masters Running

Taking the Fifth of October 10/5/15 (Read 39 times)

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Congrats Mr. Dood-Day; greta running.  Wonder if Mike E can best that time at the MCM??

Sayhey, E., it's all in who shows up; no matter that, greta time at Wineglass.  HAve a good week rolling along; hope you enjoy PA, my parents' homestate.

Condolences, Stumps.  I resemble that age, so I took note especially much.

So people, how do you lose your insoles when racing???

From Marathonguide:

Eliud Kipchoge had hoped to challenge the world record at the 2015 Berlin Marathon - and while he won the race in a new personal best of 2:04:00 and fastest marathon of anyone for 2015, the world record was never in jeopardy. Kipchoge suffered equipment problems as his insoles fell out of his shoes and were flapping around his ankles beginning at the tenth mile, but that did not stop him from pushing the pace and splitting the field apart at mile 18 before he ran on to a comfortable victory.

SLow 6 for me in the rain.  All good.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - I don't know, but all that flapping would have been mighty annoying.  At least his race is over so quickly he doesn't have to be bothered about it for long.

5 easy-paced miles for me this morning.

With the slight PF in my left foot that keeps making itself known and causing me to back off running, I am approaching this marathon at the end of the week extremely under-trained.  My last LR before the race will have been 4 weeks out, not my usual 3 or even 2, and it wasn't even a run, but a 28.8-mile race-walk.  I am tender-footed even after a fairly light weekend, so may take the rest of the week off until the race on Saturday.  I have no illusions of a stellar race, but I think I can finish it at least, and hope to enjoy the historic race route and running along the Potomic.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

stumpy77 losing someone you know and like is never easy.  Close relative or otherwise.

deez4boyz I am glad to hear you are heading to a doctor for another look at your injuries. I am wondering if you might have cracked a rib.  I sure hope not.

evanflein I had a doctor look at my abdomen a few weeks ago.  He seemed to be as sure as can be that it is not a hernia.  Just a strain.

moebo good question, I did not download the app tetsujin209 suggested for following him so I too am wondering how things went.

AamosY not only would the flapping have been a problem but I would also think that absent insoles his feet would have been slipping back and forth in the now too loose shoes.

Holly S. I hope things work out for you.  But, if it is a case of PF you might consider bagging the race and running for a bit before it becomes a really bad case of PF.

I did some more checking around on the web to see if I could find anything to speed my abdomen's healing along.  From the location of the strain it looks to be a hip flexor that is complaining.  There are a number of stretches and exercises that are recommended to speed the healing process.  My thought is to stay off of running until the stretches on the bad side feel just like those on the good side.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

Good luck Holly and sorry for that PF.

3.4 recovery miles on the dirt track this morning as the Saint walked.  I felt great though and could have jogged it, but wanted to set up tomorrow's easy run.

Here is my post about Bob Hearn. I am still blown away by his achievement. http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/more-sports/running/headlines/20151005-bob-hearn-american-pheidippides.ece

Spareribs

SubDood

Here is my post about Bob Hearn. I am still blown away by his achievement. http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/more-sports/running/headlines/20151005-bob-hearn-american-pheidippides.ece

Spareribs

Loved your article, Spareribs! Bob Hearn is amazing!

Stumpy - Very sorry to hear about your loss.  When it's someone you care deeply for, it doesn't matter where they land in the family chain.

Just some awesome racing this weekend!  Way to go, Masters ~~

How DO you lose your insoles???

Well, I think I've gone and injury my left foot again - same place it was messed up 4 years ago.  We'll see.  I did speed work on Thursday, and Friday the underneath of the foot, just down from the big toe and the one next to it felt sore, kinda like a stone bruise.  Saturday after my run it was more sore, but never hurt while running.  Yesterday the top of my foot was hurting enough that I altered the way I was walking.  I iced it off and on during the day, but was up on it cleaning house.  By last evening, it was swollen.  Not bad, but definitely swollen.  I've been icing and taking ibu to help with the swelling, but it just feels weird on the top.  I'm going to see how things go throughout the day, try to stay off of it as much as possible.  If it doesn't get any better, I'll probably go to Urgent Care so I can get it x-rayed.  *sigh*  This is not what I need 4 days before we leave for a 3-week vacation that will include a lot of walking . . . .

Leslie
              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

There sure was some good racing over the weekend: henrun's best 5K of the year, speedy (real speedy) marathons by SubDood, evan, and Hermosa, and a sub 9 minute pace 5K for enke.  stumpy, sorry to hear about the death in your family.  Holly, good luck with the PF and your upcoming marathon.  Twocat, that abdominal problem has sure hung in there.  Good luck with a cure for it.

Nice long runs for fatozzig, Aamos, Mike, and Holly.

This morning, it was in the low 50s and almost calm.  I did 5 miles at an 11:11 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Mike E

MM #5615

moebo good question, I did not download the app tetsujin209 suggested for following him so I too am wondering how things went.

I verified that tet started...and finished.  Hopefully, he'll be by soon to fill in the blanks.

How DO you lose your insoles???

....Dunno.....let's all just hope he wears underwear.......

==============

...but I digress......

3 classes left on my PT

........80s, sunny

..........45-min cane walk at city park

good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Sayhey! MM#130

....Dunno.....let's all just hope he wears underwear.......

HA!  I must confess I recently got a new pair of very lightweight shoes I was going to try out on a hot and humid day and went without socks.  But I didn't lose the insoles and I'll take the 5th as to underwear.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

moebo

Stumpy, very sorry for your loss.

Thanks for letting us know that tet finished, Mike E. Whatever the result, I hope he had fun!

Ribs, I loved that article about Bob Hearn, too.

Holly and Leslie, sorry about your foot injuries! Hopefully a little extra rest now will be enough to let you heal quickly.

Twocat, have you consulted a PT?

I did a 2-mile run/walk this morning, still a little tired and sore from my race on Saturday.

I did not lose my insoles. Or anything else.

Leslie, oh no!  Hoping your foot feels better for your trip.

And Holly, be careful too with that potential PF thing.

Erika, what a great race you had, but I understand how frustrating the weird results must be.

Twocat, are you sure sure sure it is not a hernia?  Sometimes docs are wrong.  BE is going in for hernia surgery Wednesday, so that is what I was thinking too.

Deez....yes, sounds like you need to get checked out!

Master runners....STOP GETTING INJURED!!!  There!

Official results from my race 13/79 F50-54.  Boo.  Feel good today, like I need to run.

Neil Young concert last night.  I liked the acoustic songs a bit better than the electric guitar endless jamming ones.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Monday, Thursday, and Sunday - LW runs with me. Well today, he decided to take down another dogs, the other dogs took umbrage, broke his/her leash, and came after LW. As I was smack dab in the middle, I opted to let go of LW's leash and let him defend himself - afterall, he started it and we were on a bikepath, not a road - so no cars. Plus I was hoping he would chill off leash - as he did.

I wonder what other dog runners would have done.

Bob Hearn, American Pheidippides!

{{{Stumpy}}}

Jingle Bell - I am in

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Enks - in the twenty years, the only time I’ve missed the Issaquah salmon/fish/etc. run in its various incarnations was to run the Portland Marathon on the same day. Glad you had a great time. It doesn’t get much better.
                              Portland Marathon - 2015.

It was pretty good down in Portland for my fifth time too and, at 6:21:45, my fastest marathon by more than 15 minutes in over two years. Still almost two hours slower than during the 2006 boomer reunion before aging started catching up to me and divechief created a one-month modified Pfizinger training plan of mid-week long runs that more than kept me up to goddess queen ilene at the time(4:30:07).
                              This time, I joined twenty members of the Japan 100-Marathon Joyful Running Club in their this year’s overseas marathon. I should have checked with divechief again as the Joyful’s 1,100-plus marathon goddess superstar Noriko Sakota left me in her dust right away at the start. At 68-yo, she still somehow churns out the same four-and-a-half hour marathons she’s been doing since her first one in 1992.
                              I’ve always worn the first-edition t-shirt with the salmon design from the inaugural Hokkaido Salmon Marathon I ran along the Toyokoro River in 1984. Glad I brought it to Portland as, unbeknownst to each other, one of the Joyfuls on the Portland trip who specializes in running brand new marathons all around the world also ran the same 1984 Salmon Marathon with me.
                              I think I've been having too much fun in the last month but it been so much so with the Joyfuls that we hooked up to their tour to Las Vegas today and a Grand Canyon excursion tomorrow. No wonder I love running so much.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, tet!  Congratulations on another marathon finish!

I just did 6.2 miles in 48:15.

Debbie's calling me up for supper!  Gotta go!  See ya!