Masters Running

Interval Question (Read 538 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Interval questions: 1. I’ve been recently doing ½ mile intervals with a 2-minute recovery. If I want to change to 400’s (or quarter-mile) intervals, how much recovery should I have between them? Keep in mind I am programming them on my Garmin and running on the streets, not on a track. 2. Also, what pace would be appropriate to shoot for under normal conditions (5K RP?), (although, given that I am being somewhat conservative about speed at the moment, I would slow that down somewhat until I am sure I'm fully healed). 3. And how many 400s would I do? Is aiming for about 3 miles at the fast pace when I do intervals a good rule of thumb? 4. Also, which is best suited to my only upcoming race - a 5-miler on Thanksgiving? Does it matter?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Since you're running on the streets 1/4 miles are better to program the Garmin with - that's close to 400 meters anyway. Since you're targeting a 5 miler, I would look to work on speed. So I would suggest about 8 x 1/4 mile repeats with 1/4 mile RI (rest intervals) between each. This length of recovery will allow you to recover fully and run near current 5K pace (if you can, but watch for any lingering soreness from your recent injury). If you were targeting a Half or Full Marathon, I would have suggested a few more repeats and 90 seconds RI, which due to more repeats and a shorter recovery time, would have had you running a bit slower (10K pace?) to get all the repeats in. Bill PS: personal email is coming your way, Holly ...

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Prince of Fatness

Holly. I had similar questions to yours and eventually settled on 1K intervals with 90 second recovery. There was a good discussion on intervals out in the general forums recently. Interval thread

Not at it at all. 

Marathon Maniac #957

Thanks Bill and MrPh! MrPh, excellent thread, although I may have to read it a few times to get a better understanding of how that applies to a slower runner like me. Definitely one to save for future reference, though.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #3309

applies to a slower runner like me.
            Holly, you say this one more time, and there WILL be heavy fines Wink I can be of little help on your question, as I am still trying to figure this stuff out myself. Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Holly, you are not one of the slower runners here!! Roll eyes You say that again and I will thump you on the head with your BQ! MrPHin thanks for that link...I just read the entire thing. It made me realize I was (until recently) taking too long recoveries, and not getting and staying close to "the edge" of anaeorbic zone. I was definitely there today. I could feel the legs start to fatigue. The hard part is nailing the pace. And I started out too fast today and could not complete the workout.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Prince of Fatness

MrPHin thanks for that link...I just read the entire thing. It made me realize I was (until recently) taking too long recoveries, and not getting and staying close to "the edge" of anaeorbic zone. I was definitely there today. I could feel the legs start to fatigue. The hard part is nailing the pace. And I started out too fast today and could not complete the workout.
                Glad I could help. That was a great thread. I never did intervals before, mostly because I didn't really understand the purpose of them and didn't really know where to start (I think I related as much in that thread). I finally decided to just give it a shot and adjust. After a few weeks it's working well. I really liked Jim24315's suggestion of focusing more on lactic threshold running than the really fast stuff, and also running the intervals based on current fitness level rather than goal pace. For me I don't see running anything less than 1K intervals. I'd like to bring my times down in the shorter races, but that's not my focus. (Not that the 1K's won't help there).

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

Definitely one to save for future reference, though.
                  Um, you're not slow. I believe you've got a BQ under your belt, right? Don't sell yourself short. Sure, many who contributed to that thread have run some outstanding times, but the concepts can easily be applied to you and your fitness level.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

<----- slow runner! ;) but happy... slow="" runner!="" ;)="" but="" happy...=""></----- slow runner! ;) but happy... >
                    Mariposai

Slow runner here and proud of it. Roll eyes(but that does not mean that I don't have the desire to run faster. Wink thanks for this thread Holly and MrP. I too had a few questions on interval runs and this was very timely for my needs as well.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

I really liked Jim24315's suggestion of focusing more on lactic threshold running than the really fast stuff, and also running the intervals based on current fitness level rather than goal pace. For me I don't see running anything less than 1K intervals. I'd like to bring my times down in the shorter races, but that's not my focus. (Not that the 1K's won't help there).
                        Holly I would agree whole heartedly with Jim...it is very important to run your intervals at your current fitness level and bring them down a notch as your speed improves. I do a fair amount of interval training and use Mcmillan's Running Calculator and charts to go by, I don't know if you've ever visited the site or not but here is a link I think it's a great tool: http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/Running%20University/Article%201/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm PS - I agree with the rest of the group...you certainly aren't slow! Smile
                          Holly-you will do better with longer intervals, especially if you are training for a 5 mile race. This distance is better served for working on LT/v02max and speed endurance. I'd have to say that there are many types of intervals...all being forms of speedwork. The pace and recovery time of the workbouts and rest periods are varied. There are different purposes for each of the workouts. The amount of rest should be 1/2 to equal of the workbout. In general, short workbouts should go along with less rest-to keep the HR up and allow a quicker increase back to v02max. When you run longer workbouts, there can be more rest because there is more time at v02max-ie you are working harder for longer already...and will get more benefit. There is no consensus but 5 minutes is close to an 'ideal' amount for each workbout. It takes several weeks of running intervals to work up to being able to hold this pace for 5 minutes repeatedly. I believe a good rule of thumb for rest would be something like the following: 2 minutes hard/1 minute rest 3 minutes hard/1.5-2 minutes rest 4 minutes hard/2-3 minutes rest 5 minutes hard/4-5 minutes rest The best way to approach speedwork in general and interval training specifically is to ease into it. This means starting out by doing strides and short reps first -with full/complete recovery. And then short reps with very long rest periods. Ultimately, you can begin interval training with incomplete rest periods. For some, it may be better to run at LT (closer to 10K pace or 1/2M pace) rather than 5K, to ease into training. I like my first few interval sessions to be simply 'comfortably hard' or a fartlek session-unstructured in terms of pace. It is fun to just run for 3 minutes hard and then 2 minutes easy. You can do this anywhere and don't have to be at the track. After a few of these sessions, add some quick, light strides. Then it's time for INTERVALS. DrDaniel's likes to advice performing interval workbouts at ~5K race pace-not faster and not slower. The pace is dependent on your current fitness. (He also likes to use a vdot system -but that's another story) The goal period of hard running is 3-5 minutes. This is done at close to v02max-which should be pretty close to your 5K race pace. This type of training pushes the runner to improve pretty dramatically in a short period of time. Injuries can occur by being overzelous. It is important to stretch/warmup and cooldown enough afterwards. The recommended maximum mileage for the fast workbouts is 8% of your usual weekly mileage. So for 30 mile/week runners, you should run a maximum of 2.4 miles! Do not start out at the maximum. So, if you are interested in trying out interval training, you might consider something like the following: Week 1-Fartlek run--warmup running easy for 1-2 miles; add some strides/pickups; then run comfortably hardx3 minutes/alternating with easy/relaxed x2 minutes--repeated x4 (for 20 minutes total-12 minutes harder); end the run with a nice cooldown Week 2-Farklek run--same warmup/cooldown as above; run comfortably hard x 4 minutes/alt with easy running x 3 minute--repeated x4 (for a total of 28 minutes -total 16 minutes harder) Week 3-Fartlek run--same warmup/cooldown as above; run comfortably hard x 5 minutes/alt with easy running x 4 minutes--repeated x 4 (for a total of 36 minutes-total 20 minutes harder) You are then ready for formal interval training on the track. Next week-pick the distance that most closely approximates ~3-5 minutes of running. If you are a 24:50 5K runner; ~8:00 min/pace for 5K races; then you might run 4x800M (goal ~4:00 or 2:00/lap) followed by jog ging easy x 200M (goal ~2-3 minutes)--This would be similiar to week#2's fartlek run. You should be running at least 25 miles/week if you are going to run 2 miles of intervals... Have fun! Don't get injured...
                          wildchild

Carolyn

Thanks, Dale, that's useful stuff! I should have read it before I went and ran intervals today, not after. I only do intervals on the indoor track, and I only run there when the weather's bad, so I haven't done intervals since mid-May, when it stopped snowing in the spring. Now that there's snow on the ground again, I did intervals today, and I think I tried to do too many and too fast. Oh, well. I'll do better next time. I'm kind of curious why you should only run intervals at a 5K pace. For only 400 or 800 meters, I can maintain a faster pace than I can keep up for 5K.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

I'm kind of curious why you should only run intervals at a 5K pace. For only 400 or 800 meters, I can maintain a faster pace than I can keep up for 5K.
                              You don't have to run intervals at 5K RP. Maximum benefit occurs at this pace-for v02 max training. I personally like cruise intervals-or long repeats at tempo pace with short (incomplete) recovery. Reps are run faster than 5K RP. This is more 'form work' and helps build efficient, fast running economy. They will help you kick a bit at the end of a race, but it's more useful to build aerobic capacity or stress LT.
                              Tramps

Excellent summary, Dale. Thanks.

Be safe. Be kind.