Masters Running

August 13 - Hump Day Runs and Such! (Read 397 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Wow! I get to go first again today? Wakey, Wakey everyone . . . Out for 5 this morning with Brinkley. I held him back trying to keep my pace slower and more even. Unfortunately he saw the black cat before I did! Surprised 9:54 Avg. Pace - 159 avg. HR 60 degrees, no humidity and cloudy skies as we await a thunderstorm to roll on shore later this morning. 9:52 / 147 9:44 / 154 9:57 / 160 9:46 / 168 10:12 / 168 B'Nellie is doing great! She is finally eating and acting like a puppy. I'm pretty sure we are over the hump now. Is that not the cutest little face?? Cheers!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Dave59

4 easy this morning as the fall like weather continues.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nothing like starting off the morning with an "Awwww" moment. Smile I'm off for a few days of vacation after tonight and Internet contact depends on whether or not I can borrow an air card for the weekend. Otherwise no Internet at our place in Maine. Thank you all again for my birthday greetings. I didn't get the tickets to Cirque de Soleil for Disney, but I did get 3 tickets for Micky's Spooky Halloween, which DW and DD have generously offered to help me use Wink Also got a Sports Authority gift card from FIL. Woo Hoo--new running gear in the future!! I also got a cake called "Chocolate Obsession" with only about 5 different types of chocolate. very tasty Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Tramps

Some core work plus an easy 3.3 @ 8:43 in probably our last day of IRC for awhile. Humidity returns tomorrow but it’s been a great break while it lasted. ETA: FYI: Last week I posted a Sportstrack question about how to delete the last lap (accidentally created) of a run. If deleted on the Garmin the phantom lap reappears once uploaded to Sportstrack. I’ve found the answer from their forums. You use “edit activity” to "split" the run into two at the unwanted lap. This isolates the unwanted lap as a new activity; then simply delete the new activity.

Be safe. Be kind.

Good morning everyone, and happy belated birthday, Kevin! I'm sure you'll be picking out new hot pink running shorts with that gift card from your FIL - or, maybe not... Any cake left??? 4.5 miles on the eliptical trainer this morning with leg weights and crunchies. Came down with a whopping summer cold and still not up to speed yet, but this workout is better than nothing. Good run this morning, Mary and B'Nellie is adorable! Glad she's over the hump. Will you use her for breeding? Dave, it's been unseasonably cool here lately too - just the way I like it! Teachers are back next week, kids soon to follow. There goes the peace and quiet Sad Have a great Wednesday, everyone. Jeanne

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Awww... Hopeful..hope the black cat didn't cross your path Smile 68F this morning. 6 Magical Healing Miles with Tory in 58:56 (9:49, AHR 143). Tory chased (to the end of his 6 ft leash Smile) three bunnies and a deer. The deer was a young buck with a full set of antlers standing in a yard near the road. As Tory ran towards him, instead of running away, I could see him dig in his hind legs and start to bend his head down to get those antlers out front. Good thing Tory was leashed! It was pretty cool to see.

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

I had another "where did this come from" run this morning. 7 miles in an hour. I kept it at an easy (perceived) pace and then threw in 6x100m striders during mile 6 which made that mile an 8:01. But what was curious was that mile 7 was at 8:04 and I was running comfortably easy (I thought). That's on the edge of tempo pace. (There was this pretty runner that I had to cruise by and wave to. But I'm sure that didn't make me run any quicker ...) The nice lower temp of 73 and 93% likely helped a bunch. 9:40, 8:47, 8:32, 8:26, 8:34, 8:01, and 8:04. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Hill Runner

Hi all, Running out the door as I type this... 8.04 miles of hills @ 9:24 in the rain. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

dg.

good morning -) I'm reading through what I missed for the last few days... Denise, I'll be thinking about you this morning. Mary, awww! I wonder if Tory's HR spiked? Nice runs, everybody! just some easy x-training for me this morning. about 50 min., a little bit of everything mixed in. happy belated anniversaries to Karin & Nancy! Evryday, nice to have you back.
                      Good morning, all! Mary - definitely a cutie - and nice run for you too! Breger - two good running days in a row! Kevin - you can't tell us about that wonderful chocolate cake and then not share some......... We can also help you spend your gift certificate ;-). Wow - the men swim team really smashed the world record in the 4 X 200 m relay! Couldn't stay up to watch it, but caught the award ceremony early this morning. 7.3 hilly miles this morning @9:43 pace and 159 average HR. I'm wondering how long these low temps and humidity are going to last. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Very cute dog, Mary. I was up and out the door by 4:15, but am only getting around to posting now. Smile Bill - what was your heart rate for mile 7? 12 for me, my first wave run ever, and first attempt at speed work for this cycle. 2 mi w/u, with alternating 1 mi fast 1 mi slow, fast miles 7:59, 7:45, 7:50, 7:21, 7:00 (slow miles around 8:35 or so). My plan for the fast miles was 3 @ MP (around 8:00), and 2 at HMP (around 7:30), but I found myself moving fast on the last one so I kept it up. Overall: 12.2 miles, 1:39, AHR 154 Yes, the cool weather helped. It was about 58°F this morning, and while humidity was 91%, it wasn't noticeable. This was much easier than interval repeats, and also easier than cruise intervals, but at least it gave me something to think about other than the 12 miles I was running.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Renee the dog

Mary, I've been afraid to ask about the puppy! Sounds like things are going much better! Whew!!! 3 miles with Renee this morning in 28:18. It was good. She was thrilled to be out. Me too!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

DickyG

I'm not sure I understand all the acronyms & abbreviations used around here. Here's the ones I think I know: DW, DH, DD, etc. = wife, husband, daughter (I have no idea what the "D" stands for) H&H = Hot & Humid TP = Training Partner HR = Heart Rate IRC = Ideal Running Conditions (?) I have no idea what "GA" stands for...other than the home of the Braves. Ribs:
                            Other than general fatigue and lack of energy, I am doing much better than I or anyone else thought I would do.
                            Why am I not surprised... Bruce: Run was maybe a little below your expectations, but still looked pretty strong to me. Carolyn: 11.4 miles after being on vacation..tough run...and in the morning yet...seems you mentioned that you're not a morning person....and you need to splurge on a Tivo or DVR to avoid the ads. Maine: Even your "recovery" miles are disgustingly fast. Breger: Very impressive negative splits on your runs yesterday & today. Mary: Nellie.....what a cutie. Sue: Tough run! Way to go... Didn't really feel like running today...we lost our softball game last night..with only 1 game left, we'll finish next-to-last in the league. We still have a few games left against senior opponents. It was also overcast out...I think the rain Peter's getting is heading our way...and humid. Put on an old pair of shoes (over 750 miles on them) and lobbed 4 miles at the track in 37:28 (9:22). Tennis tonight...golf tomorrow (late)...tough call on TV Thursday...Olympics on NBC...rasslin' on Spike. DickyG

Marathon Maniac #957

Tramps wrote:
                              Women athletes have struggled for years to be taken seriously. In my opinion, Olympic athletes in bikinis with corporate logos on their bottoms are not a step forward in that struggle. What struck me was that, unlike other sports that I know of, there’s such a big and unnecessary discrepancy between the men’s and women’s attire.
                              I wasn’t going to jump into the Olympic bikini volleyball discussion, but Tramps pretty much summarized exactly how I feel about it. There are other sports where the competitors dress in skimpy clothing, but there seems to be a purpose to the skimpiness i.e. streamlining for speed purposes, and the same seems to apply to both sexes within the sport. The skimpiness of the outfit doesn’t seem to have any necessary purpose for the women volleyballers, and I’m sorry but, given the inordinate number of times these women seem to have to pick their bikini bottoms out of their butts while they play, form seems to be getting in the way of function here. Mary – yes, that is indeed a cute little face! Kevin – I’d call that a successful birthday. Smile Breger – nice running! DickyG – The D stands for Dear. GA is General Aerobic – a nice brisk pace. Workout: I’m trying to alternate running days with x-training still, so today I did this at the gym. 10 minutes elliptical 10 minutes crossrobics machine 30 minutes elliptical 1 mile run on the treadmill 10 minutes stationary bike Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mariposai

Happy Wednesday to all and butterfly hugs to ALL who are resting today. After the 10 miles I did this morning with 7 at tempo pace I am certainly ready for a nap, but unfortunately I need to put the meal for tonight in the crockpot (chicken casablanca) and then get ready for work.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard