Masters Running

Midnight Sun Run 10k (Read 293 times)

evanflein

Or... how NOT to run a PR 10k... I love this race, and even arranged my return flight schedule from a week in Hawaii so I could run it. Some friends of mine ran the Mayor's Marathon in Anchorage that morning, and came home in time to run this race... that's how "big" it is in this town. Living in Interior Alaska, there's hardly more of an excuse for an all night party than Summer Solstice, and this race is a core part of the celebration. I didn't think I'd PR this race, which would mean beating last year's time of 46:07... but still, hey ya never know. We left Honolulu at 9 pm, flew all night and got home at 7 a.m. Plane travel does not agree with my legs and I was suitably swollen and stiff when I hobbled off the plane in Fairbanks. DS2 crawled into bed and slept 5 hours, DS1 stayed up a couple hours to catch up on his MySpace, etc. I straightened up the mail, papers and cleaned up the stuff the cat knocked over and took a two hour nap. The rest of the day was spent doing little stuff, not wanting to tire my legs more than they already were. My dad's birthday party was at 5 and I tried to hold the line on eating and drinking, but we didn't cut the cake till 8:30 and I just had to have some... Roll eyes Left at 9, raced home to get DS1's change of clothes (he decided at the last minute to run with a friend), headed to the finish to drop off DS2 (meeting his GF and wait for me to finish), and drove to the start with DS1. We got him registered and I had only about 15 minutes to warm up before the 10 pm start. 10 p.m., 75F, bright sunshine.... This race starts with a cannon, which is cool, but very loud. We all take off in the inevitable swarm of slow runners up front and speedsters crowded on the sides. Everyone seems to sort themselves out eventually and by the first mile I'd passed a lot of runners who started before me. I was just trying to keep my pace easy and steady, but I was hoping for 7:45 miles to start. It was really warm and there were lots of spectators along the streets, many who had set up sprinklers, water guns, hoses, etc. Lots of offers to get hosed down... I actually took advantage of a few of them which felt really good. I really wanted to hold a good pace and have a faster 2 mile finish. After mile 4, I was maintaining but couldn't really speed up. My legs felt tight and unresponsive, and my feet hurt. I felt like I was running in water or something... strange resistance I couldn't pinpoint. Guess I was just tired all over. The last mile goes through some neighborhoods with residents who really like to party. Offers of beer and hot dogs abound... I high fived a lot of kids thru here and a couple of guys who looked like they'd been partying since noon. It was a lot of fun.... I realized I wasn't going to PR or come close, so focused on enjoying myself. Mile 6 is right at the entrance to "Pioneer Park," which used to be "Alaskaland" and before that was "A'67"... it's a community park with a civic center, playground, mini golf, and picnic/party gazebos for private and community parties. It's also the start and/or finish for several races, and conducive to a real party atmosphere. The last .2 mile is thru this park to the finish and I put on all the steam I had... which really wasn't much. I like to think I can have a good kick at the end of almost any race, but not much here. Saw :48 when I finished, and that's what my Garmin said. DS1 finished just ahead of his friend at 50:23.7, very impressive for a kid who runs 5ks... and tends to be a couch slug. Official stats: 48:08.8 for second in AG (grrr! my nemesis KG ran 45:58.5!!) 34/1282 for women, 194/3134 overall FR: whatever I had that was clean after the trip... Nike skirt, Nike Air Pegasus, green singlet, Garmin 205 After the race, DS1 went off with friends, DS2 and I got a ride back to my car and had to track down DS1 because he'd left his wallet in my car. Then we drove up to the hill behind our house and got a picture of the sunset at 12:15 a.m. Here's another view...
    wildchild

Carolyn

Congrats on 2nd in AG! That's pretty good considering your plane travel and lack of sleep. And kind of hot, too, although that would affect everyone, not just you. Sounds like DS2 did quite well, too.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

HermosaBoy

Congrats on a sleep deprieved race with a great result. LOVED the pictures!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Beautiful! Nice racing!
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            I loved it! Everything about it. Especially the pictures. Yeah, 75 really is too hot for a PR.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

wow - you did amazing!! congratulations on your AG award!!

denise

I could hardly walk when we got back from Hawaii. But you casually go out and take 2nd in AG on a hot day. You are amazing. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

75 and sunny at 10 pm and you still landed 2nd AG! Yuz awesome! Well done! Thanks for the pics. Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

TammyinGP

That just seems so bizarre to me - sunny at 10:15 p.m.!! good grief girl - you ran that time and got 2nd AG on sleep deprivation? That's pretty darn impressive to me! congratulations. That sounds like a VERY fun race to do!

Tammy

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm still working towards that pace for a 5K, and without a long flight before hand Smile

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

You sure did well, evan. After a trip, long flight, and not much sleep you still ran an impressive race. Congrats on your AG award. TomS
                          You should have been snoozing.....but ended up really cruising. Congratulations on the placement. You were WAY up there in the upper echelon of runners. All of this after coming off a trip. Good job Erika. Thanks for the report that I obviously missed earlier. Joey
                          Vista
                          huskydon

Interesting race! You did very well considering the travel, tiredness, and 75 deg temperature. Congrats on the 2nd place in AG. Thanks for the pics, too. huskydon
                              Congrats! A daylight midnight race - how fun!

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

WTG, Erika. Congratulations on 2 AG. I trust you'll have other chances to even the score with your nemesis.