Masters Running

Tuesday - 7/29 (Read 36 times)

Dave59

Had a fantastic hill workout today.  7 miles total.  I was zooming up the hills.  I've been done for 2 hours and still have the full endorphin rush going on.  Every week I drive past a Big Apple Bagel store on the way home from the workout and I always think about stopping.  Today I did and got a bagel with ham, egg, and cheese with a dark roast coffee.  It really hit the spot.

I have $250 of rebates from the phones Cindy and I bought recently.  Cindy was too lazy to fill out her rebate form and mail it in so I did and now both cards are in my name.  They are in the form of Visa cards.  I am pretty sure I am going to the running store later today and getting a pair of Brooks Pure Flow 3's to try a minimalist type of shoe.  If they feel good when I try them on I'll get them.  I spent $50 of the rebates on stuff from the Disney store so I have some new stuff for Annabelle when she gets here.

The plan is for everyone from Tallahassee & Chicago to be here next week.  Should be fun.

How about some shout outs!

stumpy77 Hi

mrrun Hi

Mariposai Hi

Spareribs Hi

AamosY Hi

fatozzig Hi

wildchild Hi

evanflein Hi

tetsujin209 Hi

tselbs Hi

Holly S. Hi

enkephalin Hi

Mike E Hi

deez4boyz Hi

SteveP Hi

Twocat Hi

(If I missed anyone it is only because I did a cut and paste of Twocat's last post.)

King of PhotoShop

Way to go on finessing Cindy out of her rebate Dave.  I would have done the same thing.

I have an 8 a.m. conference call today so that messed up my schedule.  Went out at 6:30 and did 4 slow miles on local streets.  I should stop sweating by the time I get on the phone in a half hour.

EK, I once posted here some years ago that people should not take GU or any supplements on their LR's so that they can train the body to do without, then when race day comes they get a lot of energy.  Someone on the forum went ape and accused me of citing an opinion that had no basis. But I've always believed this to be true.  Why?  Because it works.   Spareribs

Tramps

Dave’s has a post-run rush! Nice job on the hills.  I’m not sure I’ve ever “zoomed” up a hill in my life. Usually a low-gear, slow and steady for me.

Mari—sorry to hear about friends losing their homes.  Sad.  A gift from the bakery Amy mentioned, with their spelling corrected:

Carolyn—Wow, great run and nice pic, too.

What a treat this morning: 61F!  It felt more like early autumn than mid-summer.  Good timing, too, since I tried doing a few intervals for the first time in ages.  Just 4x800s but my legs were definitely unaccustomed to it and my pace was all over the place.  5 miles total.

Be safe. Be kind.

BlazinCajun

mrrun - can totally relate to your tough run yesterday

Dave59 - I get light-headed when I do hills in the heat but that bagel sounds fantastic. My wife is too slick to let those rebates default to me.

Tramps - Good job on those intervals already today, I like to do those ever other week during base phase

If nobody shares opinions then our motivation for finding the truth disappears - Thanks for being you Ribs

Treadmill workout done - check!

Andrew
          ------------------
          God, my Lord, is my strength;
          he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
          and enables me to go upon the heights.
          Hb 3:19

Marathon Maniac #957

Had a fantastic hill workout today.  7 miles total.  I was zooming up the hills.  I've been done for 2 hours and still have the full endorphin rush going on.  

LOVE runs like that!  I don't have them very often, though....

52 degrees here this morning - crazy for July, but I am not complaining.

7 easy-paced miles for me.

DD is going into 7th grade and this is the first year she has team sports at school.  Middle school offers tennis, cross country, and volleyball for girls fall sports.  She has joined the tennis team, although she has very little knowledge of tennis, but I expect she will pick it up fairly quickly and she is having a great time.  Voluntary practices began twice a week in early July, and this week there is a 3-day tennis camp, 2 hours per day.  Mandatory practices begin next week for every day.   This Friday is the last week of her golf league.   Busy girl.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

...dave//..nice running..............may need to do a wee bit more work on the Shout Out Concept..

==========

...22mprnb

deo

...not really in the mood, but ClaireVisits do take their toll

.....................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

This made my day. Thanks Tramps!!!

3 not so easy miles with the Easy Pacer today. I tell you, he is running stronger by the day. Pretty soon I will not be able to keep up with him.

Then I came home to decorate cakes for various occasions for today and tomorrow.

Now  it is time to get ready for work.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!

Y'all have been so busy that even just with the passing of a few days, I am hopelessly behind.  <<pant, pant....wait up!>>

Like Erika, sha-zoom, 8:19 pace on a long run, can't wait to see what you do in your next race.  Is there one in Colorado, or is that business and you'll just be running there?  Altitude gets me; I always struggled a bit and sometimes a lot whenever I ran there (Rapid's about a 5 hours drive from Denver).  If you don't do Hartford, Philly in NOv??  Deez and I are doing that one; do you have Pennsyltucky yet?  And Kevin's running Richmond in November.  We have a new one in Tampa Nov. 15 if you want some beach time, and our local one is the weekend before (lots of running bridges in that one).

Hi Starr!  Hi tselbs!  (I didn't know Spenser has been 'adopted' and will check that out, thanks.)  Hi Tammy!  Hi jlynne!  (I learned that from Dave.  Whaddaya mean it needs work, tw?)

Congrats, o barefoot geezer of ours!  Any thoughts from the marathon you want to share?  I appreciate Holly's Vermont invite to you, but if you go, please promise to plan another east coast trip right away with lots of NOTICE so we can all make sure we can make it to visit with you.  And btw, that fellow with the "salmon chanted evening," well, that sounds like Ribs.   Sure it wasn't him in disguise??  He is so skinny these days, he can probably appear as someone else fairly easily.

I did buy some books at independent stores in San Francisco, and the beats are still well represented at City Lights, henrun.    Lawrence Ferlenghetti seems to be doing well, still.  I enjoyed some of his work from this century.  And on another topic, o dear, I know.  I went for a walk last night before it was over and it was on ESPN TV.  <<sigh>>  So exasperating, so exasperating....etc.

Carolyn,  you are a trail running machine.  And amazing.  You must have some kind of variation of  Mari's butterfly wings that your unfurl out there when no one's looking to carry you over the larger roots and craters.

Nice run, Dave!  And glad you got to enjoy a breakfast from the previously just-eyed place.  (I have to cut back on food rewards since I have once again managed to GAIN weight [well, I was in SF] the weekend I ran a marathon.  just say oink, Amy.....

Oh enke, no 2nd chance?  I mean, you said thre was some "clicking....."  ???

So thoughtful, Tramps.

What is an infrared interpreter, Cajun/Andrew?  I'll be seeing my nurse/EMT/firefighting friend when I go to Rapid next month, so I really do want to know.

So Saint and Tagster had me lol from the latest posts.

NPR announcer said it was 81 at 6:10 this morning.  I started out doing a Tin Man style run as the quads were still stiff, but got them moving so that I got 8 miles covered.   Speedsters tonight, but I'll just go to hang out and run easy.

Joke's on me:  honest to goodness, when I decided to do SF, I had in mind the other 3 times I'd run it and how much fun I had.  Well, the fun part is still the same, but I forgot that I live in the east again.  The other 3 times when I went to run the marathon, I lived in Rapid, a mere time zone away and easy trip (fly to Denver, the hub, a 40 minute trip, then a quick flight to SFO.)  Really different now!  Fortunately, all 3 flights out there (to Houston, to LA, to SFO) ran well... a brief stint on the runway in LA due to air traffic, but a hiccup.  And the way back was fine, it was just...long.  Interesting to see the airport in SF winding down on Sunday night  (flight left at 10 :25 pm) only to land in Cleveland to the Monday am bustle of business, vacation travel (landed there just after 6 am).

If you like jazz, google or Youtube "Justin Ward."  He's a young saxophonist I saw/heard out there playing for free (like the Joni Mitchell song).   He's a street performer with the proverbial  "chops."   Here's his website: Justin Ward.

And that's that from the southland for now.  Greta Tuesdays, all (where the heck is that Bryll, anyway??)

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Tet and Aamos:

Knock knock

Who's there?

Sam and Janet

Sam and Janet who?

Sam and Janet evening, you may see a stranger, you may see a stranger, across a crowded room....

Spareribs

Yesterday the humidity blew out of town and it was great sleeping weather.  That was too bad.  I got a great night's sleep and felt so well rested when I got up that I thought I might have to bag running today altogether.  I thought of going to an all you can eat breakfast.  Having some eggs, bacon and maybe sausage.  Nothing with caffeine or carbs in the hope it would take some energy out of me and bring running back to mind.  But, no.  I toughed it out and went for a run.  Not a wildchild up and down several ski hills over 9 hours run mind you.  There was no way I could do that in my current well rested state.  Nor did I think I could pull a Mike E 22 mile run at what for me would be a new PR.  Maybe with some really bad insomnia but not today.  So I settled for 5x1000m at the track at what looks to be my current 5k pace.  Last week I thought death might be preferable to trying to finish the last two intervals.  But, today while it was not easy I was not hanging on by my fingernails either.  Overall, I came really close to my goal pace of 7:20 each time so I am pretty happy about that.

Dave59 really, trying to lay off a potentially missed shout out on me!  Tsk, tsk.  Where has personal responsibility gone these days? 

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

EK, I once posted here some years ago that people should not take GU or any supplements on their LR's so that they can train the body to do without, then when race day comes they get a lot of energy.  Someone on the forum went ape and accused me of citing an opinion that had no basis. But I've always believed this to be true.  Why?  Because it works.   Spareribs

And I remember you talking about that earlier. And I've tried it before. Just never seemed to be a good time to do it again until last weekend. Of course, I also understand that doing it in hot weather is part of it, and I took advantage of a cool cloudy day to do it, but hey. Baby steps and all that. I also agree that it makes perfect sense.

Amy, I'm running the Revel Denver marathon on Aug. 17. Totally downhill course. That's why so much downhill training for me lately, including the Gold Discovery Run on the 20th that is steeper and faster than what's waiting for me, but good training. I love downhill and do it well, so we'll see how it goes!

Salmon Chanted Evening was the theme for our local fair a couple years ago. They always come up with some corny theme that's a play on words. This year it's Peonies from Heaven... noting the increase in peony production around here. Seriously.

Hartford would be the first of a few marathons my DH is scoping out for my 55th birthday this fall. He's always planning and scheming something for me to do. I fully give him credit (blame?) for my "4 Star June" in 2011, and my "5 Star Weekend" last year (never did write a race report for that one....). This fall's plans may not work out though because sometimes life gets in the way (and major home renovation costs....), but it'd be fun if it works out. One day I'll get to Richmond and Philly, but probably not this year.

I like Dave's shout outs. I could do that. Hi Everyone! Smile  See? That's not so hard.

Sunny clear skies here this morning! Wow, hardly know what to do with that big yellow thing up in the sky. We'll even get over 70° today! Geez, this summer has been pathetic. Bib pickup for the half marathon tonight. That race is on Saturday, and usually in the flood control plain a few miles south of town. But with all the rain we've had, I think it might be a bit wet. I wonder if they'll re-route the course?

wildchild

Carolyn

I have heard this from several sources, and it may work for marathons.  But NOT for ultra training!  For ultras, you need to figure out your hydration and fueling, and figure out what foods and liquids work for you, and how often you need to eat.  I would not have done very well on Sunday's 27 mile 9+hour LR with no food!  Anyway, one of the best things about ultras is the aid stations - some are like full buffets!   Fruit, sandwiches, chips, pretzels, cookies, M&Ms, soup, bacon...   yum!

My house was hit by  lightning yesterday, and it fried some of the wiring.  We lost phone and internet, but my DH found and fixed the problem.  Scary!

Dave, I love the shout outs! Hi back atcha!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Dave, I can see the endorphins leaking out of your post.  Or maybe it was the $250 of rebates?  Or maybe the idea of getting new running shoes, or maybe the bagel breakfast sandwich?  Which ever way, you sure do sound happy.

Nice speedwork, 2cat.

Aamos, no, no second chance, he wasn't interested and neither was I really.  Click or no click, he seemed really immature.  Door#19 Thursday night.....the theatre actor turned tech writer.  Complete opposite of my usual type, so it should be interesting.  He grew up in SF.

5 easy miles in what felt like 100% humidity at 6 am.  But only 62F.  Still, I was heavy and sluggish and very sweaty.  Lost 1.6 pounds on that short of a run, so that is a lot of sweating for me.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Marathon Maniac #957

Salmon Chanted Evening was the theme for our local fair a couple years ago. 

Let me know if you get serious about doing Richmond or Philly, and I will find a way to get there, too.  I don't have Pennsylvania or Virginia, and Richmond would be a nice chance to visit Tramps and Tribee......

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

TammyinGP

well, i guess I jinxed it by saying anything, but the day after I mention that we've been fortunate to not have any wildfires and it's already late July, when last year we were already a couple wks into some very bad fires that smoked us out, we had our first "local" fire about 15 miles from our house, spread to 250 acres very quickly but they are attacking it hard because it's so near to homes, level one evacuation just went into effect in that area. choppers flew over our house throughout the night (we are flight path to the water reservoir they use) and now huge tankers also flying overhead.

Ironically, for as close as it is, we've had no smoke or odor at our house (i'm sure I just jinxed it there though), so david and I got up at 6:15 for a 1/2 hr run on the trails.  He's spending the night at a friends but said he'd write out my core workout for the day and leave it for me to do tonight. 

Tammy