Masters Running

Big Block Party - Los Angeles Marathon Race Report (Read 437 times)

(Tetsujin, domo arigato gozimasu for your wonderful advice and all the kind support you have given me!) I heard many negative things about the LA Marathon: it is always hot, no one PRs, the course is a point-to-point designed for political/business reasons because it’s hilly and full of concrete, goes through ugly areas, etc., but I figured I should do my hometown marathon once. Other gripes are the narrow road that’s a big uphill and steep downhill between miles 1-2, and the last 13 miles are gradually uphill plus there is an uphill finish. But I also heard it’s like a big block party—there’s music and entertainment, crowd support is great, you get to see parts of L.A. you wouldn’t experience otherwise through a car window, and of course, there are those wonderful Taiko drummers near the end. With all this in mind, my goal was to just experience the circus and finish it. It’s a people’s marathon, not an elite race. No way will I ever BQ, so this was a great race for me. On race day, I had to make adjustments because it was sunny, windy and warm outside (in the 70s) and I had trained in colder temps and rain. Also, I had a persistent phlegmy cough and a strained hamstring so I decided to run/walk at 12-13 minutes per mile. I took it easy on the first half, since I heard too many people go too fast on the downhill. I saw a girl blow out her knee at 2.5 miles. I also saw 3 Elvii, Marilyn Monroe, Uncle Fester, and a guy dressed as a Trojan. I heard that Pizza Box man and other famous stunt runners were out there too. But it was mostly people who were fundraising, running in memory of loved ones, first timers, experienced marathoners, and legacy runners. There were 8000 Students Run L.A. kids, and they were very well behaved and just as determined to finish as any adult. I slowed down even more for the second half because I got very dizzy and my heart rate was too high. My legs cramped (a new problem for me). I had white salt deposits on my skin (never happened before either). I had taken Gu every hour and drank liquid (H2O and Gatorade) at every water stop, so I was surprised by all these problems; I heard later that a lot of people had leg cramps. But I was determined to get a finisher’s medal no matter what. Miles 16-19 were tough because I was trying to manage the dizziness, too fast heart rate, and leg cramping (it seemed like a lot of people around me were hurting too). At mile 17, I saw a man down and medics were putting an IV in his arm. I didn't want that to happen to me. I ate some orange and banana pieces, which really helped. As soon as I could, I resumed my run/walk strategy and started passing a lot of people. I felt a lot better by mile 20, passed the Trojan, and ran the last mile nonstop, passing even more people, and finished happy and relieved at 5:55. Other stats: I finished 10,534 overall (out of 17,308). Women 3177/6694. Age Group 411/670. Age Grade 41.7%. I’m not speedy like many of you folks out there, but I wasn’t last! Big grin My DH was awesome. He handled all the logistics of driving from the start to the finish line (not too easy with all those street closures and one-way streets) and he met me at the finish with a bunch of roses Blush. Race support was great! The crowds were very enthusiastic and helpful. There were plenty of water, Gatorade, fruit and pretzels on the course, mostly in the poorer neighborhoods than the richer ones. The LA Fire Department took good care of us, turning on fire hydrants when it got warm, and quickly tending to the hurt and heat exhausted. Thank you for reading!
    Henrun

Drom., congratulations! You finished under very difficult conditions. It sounds like dehydration was the order of the day. With that many finishing behind you, there must have been many runners struggling to finish. Glad that Lew was a good support for you. Enjoy your recovery time.
      seemomgo

What a great experience! I am like you - I will never be as fast as these crazy women on this board - nor will I even try. I like the idea of really experiencing the marathon like you did. I think you got out of it just what you should! Congratulations on getting that finishers medal.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

daisuki dromilina-chan, kochira koso, arigatou. omedetou not just on finishing your hometown marathon but with cold, phleghm, dizzy, cramps, salt licks, strained hamstring, heartrate, hills, jostling runners, 70F, . . . and runnin’ happy to the steady beat of powerful taiko drums for a goal-in complete with a well-deserved bouquet of roses. It doesn’t get much better (and neither does finishing faster than more than half the other women). However, when I offered my experience on the special care needed when doing a must-do marathon anyway, I sure wasn’t imagining anything under, or even close to, six hours. It's not my age group so this is the first time I’ve ever used this phrase but now is the time for sure - YOU ROCK! Totemo ureshii.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

dromedary - thanks for the greta race report and congrats on your first "hometown" marathon - a job well done. Talk about grit and determination! I've only been to LA once, before I started running, and I was blown away by the hills. I thought "close to ocean = beach = flat." Duh, that's because to me close to ocean = beach = south Jersey = flat. The walk from my downtown hotel to the Disney concert hall and the cathedral every day nearly killed me! And you did those types of hills for 26.2? In the heat? With a cough? Wowza!!! Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Heat always makes for a tough marathon. Nice job working your way though it! As to cramps I have become a big fan on Enlyten strips. They are basically strips with electrolytes on them. You just pop them into your mouth as needed to ward off cramps. Anyway they work for me.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

King of PhotoShop

When I hear people say things like: "I’m not speedy like many of you folks out there, but I wasn’t last!", I want to remind them that you have to respect that distance. You were in the top half of the women's race, and you are an experienced runner. Good for you for completing it. My brother in law Joe has done every LA Marathon and he tells me every year that of all the ones he has done LA is very tough, lots of hills. I'm proud of you. Well done. Spareribs
                  Great job...it sounds like you had fun. Congrats!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

ps - I'm with 2-cat too as salt-caking usually means losing too much sodium electrolyte needed for muscle synapses (especially if the cramps traveled up-and-down the calf muscles, etc. and wasn't a muscle tear). For temps even into the high sixties/low seventies, at least one electrolyte or salt table every hour (fast food salt packet works too). Maybe check it out with goddess ilene for her Boston Marathon and do some of your weekend long runs in the warmer afternoon hours and more inland not so close to the cooling ocean breezes.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

#artbydmcbride

Are you ready to do long runs with me so soon Dromedary, like Tetsujin is suggesting? Big grin Great job girlfriend, I knew no matter what happened you would tough it out. Awesome! Congratulations! And great job by Lewis too, he's a keeper. Smile

Runners run

great race report!! so glad you were able to tough it out under those conditions and even run in the last mile - nice job!!

denise

pfriese

Dromedary, Nicely done, very nicely done. Spareribs already mentioned it, but you were in the top half of the womens field, so I don't think you can use that "I'm not that fast" line. The line you can use is "I ran a marathon". And you ran it nicely considering the weather conditions during the race. Also, I really enjoyed reading your RR. I don't know that much about L.A. (just what I see on the news), your report put a human side to the city. Sounds like a fun marathon and city. Thanks for sharing your race experience with us. Paul
                          huskydon

Drom, I was really looking forward to your report and it certainly didn't disappoint!! Yes, I cringed when I heard the TV announcers talk about the "perfect marathon weather." Maybe for those finishing sub 3 hours. It was warm out there. You did real well considering you were far from 100%. I gotta hand it to you, with the high heart rate, cramping, dizziness, etc, you kept plugging away. Definitely, you are one tough runner. You should be very proud of your achievement! Now, take it easy and recover gently. And, great job to your DH, too. Thanks for the great report! huskydon
                              Thanks deez4boys, evryday, and huskydon and anyone who did not post but read this! Henrun, I was hoping for a rainy day like you had when you ran this race Tongue Spareribs, thanks! That means alot coming from you...everyone in my running club smokes me so I think I am slow. Anyway, I'm glad that seemomgo is with me! Tetsujin and Twocat, thanks for the electrolyte and salt ideas. I don't think I'll be running long runs with Ileneforward for a few weeks. I just want to relax and do all the things I didn't have time to do this winter. I also want fix my muscle imbalances with my personal trainer so I'll be stronger for future runs. Eliz, glad you got to visit L.A. once. It's not all ghettos and hills, so please come back. There are some pretty places to run, especially in Marina Del Rey. I think huskydon can tell you about the Pasadena Half Marathon, since that's a nice area too.
                                Wow, dromedary, you overcame some tough conditions to run a nice marathon. Congrats on finishing and on your high overall and age group standing. TomS