Masters Running

Weds 9/3 - Short week - Hump day already (Read 414 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning all Smile 4 easy / recovery miles setting myself up for my mid week long run, with 1000 M repeats tonight. A heat wave is on here right now with temps in the mid to upper 90's, yuck....should make for a super sweaty workout tonight. Great experience last night on my run as I was running through an exclusive neighborhood - million dollar homes I can only dream about. There are huge amounts of white tail dear everywhere, and at this one house I saw two little small does that still had their spots on them. I stopped to look at them for a few minutes and guess what...they both walked right up to me and I petted their heads till their mother snorted and the cute little one's walked away back towards their mother...neat experience. Erika, I understand your frustration...but she is easy on the eyes Big grin Hey Bruce, very nice wave run last Sat...and don't beat yourself up with your track workout yesterday. These bad workouts happen to even the most experienced runners. Heck, awhile back I went home sooo tired, I slept through my planned track workout. You are doing great Smile Have a great day all, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Those little deer are so cute. We have some in our neighborhood but they're not that tame. < perchcreek="" />> -- You're a smart runner and know how to get to the starting line. Trust your instincts. Trying to set up a quality run for tomorrow, I took it a bit easy today for my seven miler. No heat wave here, as the temps were about 61°F. While it was a bit humid at 88%, the low temps made for a nice run. I do feel a bit guilty talking about how nice the weather is here, what with those suffering from Gustav and Hannah -- I hope everyone here and their families are faring ok with these. 7.2 miles, 1:02, 8:43/mi, AHR 142 Good runs all, and stay dry!

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Trying to convert myself into an early morning runner. It is currently the best chance I have to get in a run. 5 and change this morning at just under 8:00 pace. First day of school today, so should be fun.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh Tim - what a great experience! You seem to have the best adventures with the little girl and now little deer. 5 miles for me . . . oh wait . . . .I haven't done it yet though! Awoke to thunder and lightening. Of course the dogs also awoke to that, so there wasn't any going back to sleep, rather I got up and lounged on the couch for a while. The storm blew over and I could have run - but it was 74 degrees and humid. Yuck - have had enough of that. I'll get the 5 in this evening. Won't be pretty, I can guarantee that, but I'll get the miles in. {{{Perch}}} Happy Hump Day!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

This morning's run was a nice one. Since it was a hawt 80F at 5:00 AM I went out really easy not wanting to overwork - not recovery pace, but easy pace. Then after 7 miles I picked it up to work on some endurance and ran miles 8, 9, and most of 10 at MP (8:30ish). Felt great. Don't know why except perhaps because the humidity was down (76%) and I ran so easy for the 1st 7 miles. 10.15 miles at 9:25 min/mile pace overall, avg. HR 140. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Dave59

Not a bad 4 miles easy this morning. But my back is really tight today. I think I'll get the heating pad out and see if I can get some relief.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, ...Browsing here with the new Google Chrome browser...very nice. No running this morning for me, as I've been running every other day usually. I've already logged 28 miles for the week so I'm still on track for a 40+ week. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

I'm going to try out that browser too Peter. By the way, I;m watching your training with interest! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I used to say "it's a microsoft world", but now I say, "it's a google world". Really ticks my brother off, who works for Yahoo. Smile

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Tim - I usually trust the instincts of animals and small children when it comes to judging people, but I already knew you had a big heart. Smile Twocat – thanks for the comments yesterday on running injuries. I hadn’t realized until I read your post just how much I have been beating myself up about my injury thinking of it almost as a punishment for not running correctly, something that happened because of a screw-up on my part. (might still be true, but...) Your words made me feel a lot better. 4.4 recovery-paced miles for me today outside (ave pace 10:47), followed by this on the treadmill: (1 min 10:00/1 min 8:34) x 7 Total distance: 6.2 miles It was 93(feels like 97) degrees last night, so I cancelled soccer practice for my little team. No need to have 5 and 6-year-olds out there running around in that kind of heat. Our first game is Saturday, and I know it will be a blast. They are so darn cute at that age.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Very busy day for me today. Not happy good busy doing stuff I do not particularly want to do at work busy. Sigh, got to earn a living though . . . Out and up a bit early for a 15 mile run with my TP. No deer on the route though! Anybody that thinks there area needs more should come here and take some. In fact, take 20 or 200. The town prevents all hunting and of course there are no predators to take down the deer. So instead the deer spend the winter getting hit by cars, starving to death and dieing from the diseases malnourishment brings. Good going local deer lovers! Angry

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Good morning, all! Tim - good kickoff this morning! Amazing fawn story - bet their Mom wasn't very happy with them ;-). {{{{{{{Perch}}}}}}} - sorry about the injury but glad you know to cut back before it becomes a major issue. Twocat - thanks for yesterday's reality check - good words of wisdom in your last paragraph. Good race - and even better post-race engorgement. Jeanne - send the turkeys my way! Congrats on the 1000 - wtg! I was scheduled for my fitness assessment this morning, so I should have skipped my run or at least kept it to 5 miles or so. I finished with 7 miles, but they were easy treadmill miles. My fitness evaluator wasn't happy with me at any rate. I ended up making improvements across the board - well above average (for my age and gender) in strength, flexibility, BMI, cardio, etc., so I don't think the run hurt my results. I also dropped 7 pounds since last year - yeah! Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

busiman

Running out of mistakes!

Tim, that must have been cool. Just a quick 4mile recovery run today. I had a tough 800m interval workout last night and really wasn't up for running this morning. Once I got my butt out the door I realized that recovery runs are not just for my legs, but for my brain too. If we only did hard runs, we'd dread them. Doing an easy run got my head back and looking forward to a long run tomorrow.
                            -2009 running goals - sub-3 after Boston (probably VCM), 3 PRs, 2009 miles for the year, and no untreated injuries
                            also on Twitter
                              Erika, I understand your frustation...but she is easy on the eyes Big grin
                              I assume we are talking about Governor Palin? A day or two after she had been selected by McCain, I was driving in my car with the radio on, and the DJ mentioned her. I was very curious about her, knew very little, and hoped he would say something informative. But all he said was, "That Sarah Palin--she is smokin' hot!" Dark Horse
                              I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
                                I do feel a bit guilty talking about how nice the weather is here, what with those suffering from Gustav and Hannah
                                Beer Runner, Never feel guilty for enjoying your life. Enjoy good times when you can. There is plenty of misery sloshing around in this world and eventually some of it will slop onto your plate. Light workout this morning at the gym: 100 pushups 100 situps 30 barbell curls 1 mile on the elliptical I used to stretch a ton, but after reading a year or two ago that stretching before a workout might be bad, I never stretch any more. After a run, I do try to walk for a couple of minutes. The kids arrive today: my first day teaching high school. I am plotting ways to terrorize the little devils. Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.