Masters Running

Wednesday's Daily, 5.28 (Read 35 times)

Dave59

We all know what day it is.

https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2895/14288039032_78ced10fcc_o.gif

(From today's Speed Bump comic strip.)

I don't hate Wednesday, but I'm suffering from event letdown disease (ELD).  Last week I wrapped up a 3 month long project at work and ran the Buffalo race and now I find that oddly enough, life keeps going on the same as it did before.   No parades, no 6-month sabbatical, no nothing.

I just have to roll up my sleeves and keep on typing computer code into a little electronic box.

Beautiful morning here with temps at 57° and a cool breeze blowing in my office window.  I'll get out for a little bit of a run after I tackle a couple tasks at work.  Got to get the momentum going in the right direction.

Mike E

MM #5615

Dave--I know exactly what you mean. I was just telling DW how I was suffering from the ”post marathon blues”. Hmmm....sounds like a country song.  Ah, but soon I'll be starting my ultra training...weekends filled with back to back long runs...getting used to a hydration belt...blisters...chaffing....somebody shoot me, now!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Well Mike, it's like one of the ultra goddesses once said (Dove, I think)  "It's like fun, only different".

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Well Mike, it's like one of the ultra goddesses once said (Dove, I think)  "It's like fun, only different".

1!  Exactly.  Need to find a new race, Dave.

Holly, I think Erika had some advice for you re: your car that she addressed to me.  I'm happy to share .  And in the spirit of sharing, forgive me, and not that you asked (you asked how quickly Vermont fills up, and I don't know), but if it is still open, why not sign up?  Great group of RAers will be there, it is a beautiful state, and DH gave you the thumbs up.  You are being sensible, I know.  Just in case you need a nudge, I'm leaning toward the "you can't put a price on memories" but then, I will prolly never retire in order to keep funding my supply of memories!

Interesting scenario of Jay on PST, tet.  What a good time; hope I can be there.  My big goal for next year is to do Boston 2 Big Sur.  I'll be saving for it as soon as I pay for this year's runs!   Let me know, anyone who is thinking of/planning on Big Sur in 2015.

THought I was going to get rained out last night, but the showers stopped just in time so I got in 6 with the Speedsters.  Slow warm-up and then 12 400s, alternating fast and slow.  Mine were all in at sub 8 miles (I don't change my watch intervals, too lazy!), which is ok for the day after a race 5K.  Trolled on over to Lakes Park again this am for 10 lovely look-at-the-sunrise miles and was rewarded with a great heron close encounter.  It gave me perspective....see next paragraph.

Confession:  my Garmin 10 (gave the fancy Garmin to DH as I really only need a watch for pace and mileage) was acting up yesterday and this morning, so I was crabby about that, then realized I was also crabby over being the kind of person who would get crabby over a Garmin.  My Minimalist aspirations have a looooong way to go!

Happy, hippy hump day, all, and good runs and rests!

grins (big ones, the Sox made it 2 in a row and they were on TV!)

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Marathon Maniac #957

Holly, I think Erika had some advice for you re: your car that she addressed to me.  

I saw that, but she was talking about a drive shaft, so I didn't think it was meant for me.  $500 later, and I have my car back.  They said it was not an oil leak, but rather a coolant leak.  DH says it is still leaking oil so he thinks they didn't find what was wrong after all.  

Re: VT50 - let's see, Mike is going, and Carolyn, and Karin.  Anyone else?  I need to think about logistics - where to fly in to?  Do I need to rent a car or can someone pick me up at the airport?  Anyone available to share a hotel room?  I still think this is just a pipe dream, but I'll spend a little more time on it before putting the kibosh on the idea entirely.

4.1 miles for me this morning before taking DD to a before-school club meeting.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

wildchild

Carolyn

Dave--I know exactly what you mean. I was just telling DW how I was suffering from the ”post marathon blues”. Hmmm....sounds like a country song.  Ah, but soon I'll be starting my ultra training...weekends filled with back to back long runs...getting used to a hydration belt...blisters...chaffing....somebody shoot me, now!

So you want gunshot wounds in addition to the blisters and chafing? 

Holly,  that would be great if you could come to the VT 50!  I'd be happy to room with you again!  Or maybe we could look for a house or apartment for all of us?  And we could share a car rental too.

I've been doing short runs around Ithaca every day, but need to fit in a long run sometime.  We're enjoying our time at the cottage on the lake with DD!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

mrrun

No runs today.  We're seeing Tempest shortly followed by Boston Pops this evening.

we're pondering a cheering section or dinner around Vermont - but NOT running

marj

King of PhotoShop

Heck, I would run the Vermont 50 if I could room with Holly.

Okay, long and boring tutorial for those unfamiliar with prostate and prostate cancer.  Yesterday I had my 4 week post-op visit with the surgeon.  If this is TMI, skip to the next post but it's useful to know if you are a man.  Men have two sphincter muscles, one just below the bladder and one at the low end of the urethra.  Men also have a prostate gland, which when it is working, will restrict urine flow.  When you have a prostatectomy, the prostate is removed, and so is the first sphincter just below the bladder, so anatomically you are left with the same "stopper" that a woman has.  As one female friend remarked to me some months ago when I explained the exercises (Kegel), that are done to strengthen that last sphincter muscle, the one we have in common with women, she said, "Women learn to consciously control that muscle when we're about 14 years old."  Think of activities as simple as getting out of a car, or getting up from a chair.

So the dr. encourages you to do these exercises and I take this as seriously as I do any core work, like pushups etc. and I'm making very good progress and the dr. was very happy to hear that.

Second, he gave me clearance to run, so today I did 2.3 miles, with a one-mile walking warmup at 14:32, then 3/4 mile slow jog in 8:20, about an 11 min/mile pace.  I did only this so I can wait til tomorrow and see how I feel, thus easing into my return.  Then I did a full flex workout at the Y.  The dr. also gave me clearance to begin core work (abs, planks, pushups, wall sits, etc.) next week.  More good news.

And also he called me last night at 7 pm to tell me the results of my blood work.  PSA, which means "prostate specific antigen" is the known marker for prostate cancer and it remains in the blood after the prostate is removed, although it has a half-life kind of like a radioactive element. At 4 weeks there is usually some traces of it. But the dr. said, "PSA is undetectable," and that was the best news of all.

Thanks so much everyone.  Spareribs

TammyinGP

Thank you for the update Ribs! I didn't know the anatomy/differences in detail like that, so I appreciate the lesson today.

Last night was a Nat'l Honor Society function. David, as President of his school's chapter, had to do alot of speaking and inducting in the new members for next years group and officers. So hard to believe that middle school is coming to an end in only two short weeks.

Even though track season is over, he wants to keep up his 5-6 day/wk workouts, so he'll stay after school and run his intervals.  He's especially looking forward to Friday's fundraising "jog a thon" because he plans on getting in about 7 miles that day. Maybe if I had an ounce of his self-discipline and motivation, I wouldn't be lagging so far behind him in my yearly mileage. 

Tammy

Mike E

MM #5615

Great news Ribs!

lamerunner

Greetings from cold rainy NH.Sorry to have been so MIA.  Lots of great running going on as well as other accomplishments. Big Congrats to Carolyn and her daughter on the Cornell graduation!  Quite an honor and a tough major. and also great job to David on his track race--he sounds like a focused young man; he will have a great high  school career.

Ribs, glad to hear the positive medical report, but EAT.  You are making me feel fat....

Congrats also to Leslie on the 50k!  Not an easy PR to come by.

That is all I can remember from the last few days of lurking...

Wild week of weather for running so far-- Monday I went to Pawtuckaway State Park, where my DD llikes to trail run and climb, to check out the running and see the boulder field she has spent so much time at.. Sunny, breezy, 75 degrees. I was a bit tired but ran maybe 7 hilly miles on dirt roads and trails, including a slower poky section checking out the boulder trail.

Yesterday, 6.5 miles, sunny, 70, humid, at 7 am; this morning, 8 miles around town, 45 degrrees, raining. It felt downright cold .

I spent the rest of the morning at my DS's high school at the annual Spring awards ceremony. He is only a freshman, and most of the morning is focused on seniors and juniors, but he played the Star Spangled banner on tenor sax, solo, at the start of the ceremony-- he did very well, with the entire school and many parents in the audience!  He also got the "High Achiveement" award for French I.

DD was home a few days after a successful Sopohomore year at Colorado College; now is is up north working as a caretaker for one of the backcountry huts.  LIkely her last summer working here; I think she will stay in Colorado next summer.  We had a nice visit. She is so much easier when she is happy.. ( aren't we all!)  She had a good year academically and fell in with a great group of friends, lots of climbers and skiiers.   We lined her up with a replacement vehicle; her old truck bit the dust. After flailing around a while with Craig's list and 10+ year old cars advertised, we got a 5 year old VW Jetta wagon from a dealer.  Very cute; hope it lasts a few years.  She wanted manual transmission-- all she has ever known-- plus some cargo space and theoretical camping space, so it fit the bill.

Anyone doing the relay at Vermont? The 50k might also be fun, though I am not sure what my knee would say about that..

Happy Wednesday!

...I gather from Ribb's ''room with holly'' line that the patient is improving......

also

''gunshot wound '' line was PERFECT for mikeE, the Racing Machine..

=========

..but I digress......

............39mprnb

deo

...................it's boring, but DAMN it makes my leg feel better

and

just out of PureEvilness,

here's a PoolRunning Video for Tet.......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvQ5LqJk7pc

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

fatozzig, congrats on the 50K PR.  Steve, nice 5K for you and Tag.  ribs, I'm glad to hear you got a good checkup.  Good job on the speedwork, Aamos.

This morning, I took my wife to a doctor's appointment.  When we got home, about noon, the temp was in the mid to high 60s.  I did 4 miles at a 10:35 pace.

Yesterday was baby sitting day.  I am always amazed at how much progress the little guy can progress in a week.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

And also he called me last night at 7 pm to tell me the results of my blood work.  PSA, which means "prostate specific antigen" is the known marker for prostate cancer and it remains in the blood after the prostate is removed, although it has a half-life kind of like a radioactive element. At 4 weeks there is usually some traces of it. But the dr. said, "PSA is undetectable," and that was the best news of all.

Excellent!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Marathon Maniac #957

I spent the rest of the morning at my DS's high school at the annual Spring awards ceremony. He is only a freshman, and most of the morning is focused on seniors and juniors, but he played the Star Spangled banner on tenor sax, solo, at the start of the ceremony-- he did very well, with the entire school and many parents in the audience!  He also got the "High Achiveement" award for French I.

DD was home a few days after a successful Sopohomore year at Colorado College;   We had a nice visit. She is so much easier when she is happy.. ( aren't we all!)  She had a good year academically and fell in with a great group of friends, lots of climbers and skiers.  

Love both of these!