Masters Running

Miami Half RR - Cruise Ships, Art Deco, and South Beach (Read 331 times)

There cannot be many more beautiful HM courses than the Miami Half. Running by a dozen or more cruise ships, seeing tug boats tooting horns and spouting water, and seeing the Art Deco Skyline of Miami and Miami Beach at Sunrise is inspiring. I ran fairly well today with 17,000 of my closest friends. 1:46:35 officially. Not a PR but solid enough. 22 out of 208 in my AG. 900 out of 9318 Gender. Avg HR 162, 89.5% of max. That's pretty high. 8:07 average pace. A little warm at 60F at the start (6:15 AM) but not bad. Early on I was running sub-8's and feeling good with them. That ended up costing me a little in the later miles as they caught up to me. I tried to keep the sub-8's going but the body didn't want to listen. But a great day, an outstanding course, and a very solid race! I'll get that sub-8 HM eventually! I ran for awhile with a friend - a local girl who won her 40-45 AG last year in the A1A Full. She was running the full and did her half time exactly what my HM final was. Amazing, strong and beautiful runner. I love running with her - when I can keep up! At about mile 10 or so she yells to me "Go for it, Bill. Push it!" I turned around and said "This is pushing it for me!" I saw the Coatman too who was wearing his trademark Coat with Orange and Blue stremers all over it. I said hello to him and he grunted something back. I left him alone. Afterward a bunch of us went to a Ft. Lauderdale landmark Lester's Diner for Breakfast. Good times and good food. Here are my splits for those data-geeks among you. Mile 1 - 8:22 quite crowded and over the biggest bridge Mile 2 - 7:55 Cruise Ships everywhere! Mile 3 - 8:00 2nd bridge, the 2nd highest Mile 4 - 7:56 Groovin' Mile 5 - 8:00 Onto Miami Beach and the S. Beach Hotels Mile 6 - 7:56 Starting to groove Mile 7 - 7:52 Groovin' Smile Mile 8 - 7:56 Groovin' some more. Heading off Miami Beach Mile 9 - 8:03 Little bump bridges. Slowing Mile 10 - 8:10 More little bump bridges. Grrrr. Slowest mile Tongue Mile 11 - 8:04 Trying to kick it in (Nope!) Mile 12 - 8:04 Still trying to kick it in (still Nope!) Finish - 8:13 average last 1.1 miles. 1:46:35 total. Happy with it. Time to start putting in some longer runs ... If anyone is thinking of doing this GREAT race, do it. A 50-stater could do no better that chalking up Florida in Miami. They have a Registration Blitz for next year starting Tuesday morning. Super rates if you register during the Blitz. See the ING Miami Marathon website if interested. I'll be online early. And you get one of the coolest medals ever - a double spinner with a palm tree in the middle. (Picture below) Thanks for reading and for all the (never-ending) support! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

The Jogger

Sounds like you cruised that one Bill, well done on a good time. Roy
        Good job Bill! Sorry it was not a PR, but it sounds like you are fairly pleased with your race and like it was a good time.

Once a runner . . .

It sounds like you enjoyed this one Bill. Your mile splits couldn't have been much more consistent. You did well. Congratulations. TomS
            Bill well done, very good time & enjoyable day Smile 60F sounds pretty good for a Northern Ohioan right now That is a beautiful medal Smile all day you deserve it, Congrats

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

evanflein

Good job and cool medal! I've already got FL in my bag, but am always looking for a break from winter by the time January rolls around! Nice pace on this one, and I agree you've got the sub-8 half in you yet!

King of PhotoShop

It's been a lot of fun hearing about your training and how much more excited you have been on some of your stronger runs. You seem to be learning more about what works for you, and I have no doubt this is just the beginning of more fast races for you. I hope you will see it this way too because this could be an exciting year for you of great possibility. You are also right up there at around top 10% of all runners in AG and gender, and older than most I would say. A lot to be happy about. Great to read this. Spareribs

Hill Runner

Bill congratulations on a well executed HM! ...Take out the first & last mile and you splits are very consistent. MacMillan is also predicting a BQ for you based on you final time. You are ready!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Well done, Bill. Surely a confidence builder.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

wildchild

Carolyn

Nice job, Mister Bill! You've been doing some very consistent running, so whatever you're doing is working! Too bad you missed a PR, but sounds like you're happy with the results, as you should be! Not sure what's to love about a view of more than a dozen cruise ships, though - they look like monstrosities to me!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Renee the dog

Thanks for the report and recommendation. Sounds like a fine day and a great race! So sorry that when you tried to "turn it on" there was no cooperation from the bod on those last couple miles. I've been there, and it is always shocking and humorous to me at the same time. From the sound of things, you are setting up for a great year racing. Smile

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

Nice job Bill, This should make you feel good about your marathon. Keep up the good training and it should all work out great. I think I need to plan something next winter in Florida. The older I get the more I hate Michigan winters. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Although it wasn't the PR you might have been looking for, you still ran a great race Bill. I am confident that you will hit that PR soon enough. That really is a nice medal isn't it, I sure wouldn't mind running that one someday vs. what I normally run this time of year, although the warmer temps this time of year could bite me pretty hard! Wink As Ribs said it's been a pleasure watching your progression and I look forward to seeing more;. Congrats on a great run!

Marathon Maniac #957

There cannot be many more beautiful HM courses than the Miami Half...... ...a great day, an outstanding course, and a very solid race!
                              Says it all right there. Excellent racing, Bill! One of my goals is to eventually be as fast as you...... you're not that far off... I might be able to catch you someday.... Smile

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

"One of my goals is to eventually be as fast as you......"
                                Holly, your Marathon PR is still better than mine ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong