Masters Running

The good old Sunday daily (Read 33 times)

Mariposai

Howdie folks. I hope everyone is keeping cool today. We are seeing record high temps around here. It will be 108 by 2pm. The Steady Pacer and I left the house by 5:30 for a slow 6 together, then I continued for an additional6 for a 12 miles total and 44 miles for the week. Running plus all the hard cord hiking we did with the Twocats this represents a very good week for fitness, joy and laughter with great friends.

I am looking forward to reading more report and seeing more pictures from MI. It must be so cool to meet Batman, Rochrunner and tselbs.

Stay hydrated my friends. I am going to be studying Basic Accounting all day, then off to a pond party.

Cheers,

Posie.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

SteveP

I am concerned about the number of Bigfoot sightings in  AAmos' neck of the world. http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=38924

SteveP

Sound like there were some great meetups at Charlevois and in Posie-land!

Glad Lame is on the mend.  That sounded scary.

Hope Ribs bounces back!

Nice 50K, Wildchild!

Spent last night tracking a couple of friends at Western States.  One came in 29th woman, the other was the 36th man.

I managed a decent 14 miles of nice flat bike path yesterday.  Feet are taking to the pavement better than I expected.

Rest day today.

.....Nancy The road to hell is paved....... run trails!

I am concerned about the number of Bigfoot sightings in  AAmos' neck of the world. http://bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=38924

''  Fisherman comes face to face with tall ape-like creature in Ft. Myers  ''.

................naw,

just means   Florida State is getting ready for Next Football Season

===========

30-min bikeride,

am actually spending MORE time on the TENS unit afterwards

............good running guys..................apologies to the Florida Fans, just couldn't resist

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

and yes, I just figured out where Ft Myers was........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

C-R

Stay cool Mariposai.

Nice Tom. Always enjoy a good Free Shoes U joke.

Hope the Michigan meet up went well.

Heal up all you who need it.

Been away on business and vacation for a while. Nearly a months worth of travel. Absolutely wrecked my running and having to start from square one. But that's ok. The time with family was awesome. my 8 today felt like 20. One step at a time. Hope to be in here more often as I enjoy the stories.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

My DW and I had a great time with Mariposai and her DH.  Alas, all good things especially it seems vacations must come to an end.  We are back home after a trip that never seemed to end.  After arriving at the airport it took about 45 minutes for our luggage to arrive at baggage claim.  Then another endless trip through multiple traffic jams to get home.  We walked into the door of our house about 2.5 hours after we thought we would.

Fortunately, today was a lot better than yesterday.  This morning I ran the Fairfield HM in about 1:43:10.  I am pretty proud of myself for making it to the starting line.  When I got up (woke up would be a misnomer) and looked in the mirror I thought I had a makeup crew hidden somewhere that put bags under my eyes.  I looked horrible!  My DW looked at the dew point and a few texts later she and her friend had decided not to run the race.  It was definitely a good day to be an alligator!  Post race there was a party for the local Joggers Club.  All in all, not a bad Sunday.  Not as good perhaps as the past week, but not bad.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

lamerunner

Hello, glad Twocat and DW made it home, and I am jealous of all that hiking. I am glad to say I am still on the mend, and I had a half-decent run.  It was raining hard this morning, so we hung out, made eggs and read the NY Times, then I headed out around noon.  I went to the rail trail, still have not located the offending rock, but when I do, I may dig it up.  Light mist and very windy; I wore a light jacket to keep my arm dry and ran about 10 slow miles.  Found some strength the last few miles.

It sounds like the Charlevoix crowd is doing well.

Cool and rainy here, 55 degrees.

wildchild

Carolyn

It's cool and rainy here, too, about 60°, just right for a 3 mile recovery run.  Why couldn't we have had this weather yesterday???  My legs feel okay today.

So about a week ago, our neighbor called to say they'd had 3-5 bears in their yard, including one that didn't just run off when they tried to chase them away.  My DH has suggested that it's not safe to run right here on our roads because of this, so I've been driving over to the state park for my runs. (Of course, there are bears in the park too, but at least not recently sighted and known to be somewhat aggressive!)  But today I only wanted to do a short recovery run, and it seems silly to drive 5 miles each way for a 3 mile run.  So I took the dogs with me and decided to run on my road.  Well, after about a mile, I heard gunshots, so I turned around and headed home to call my neighbor, to see if he was shooting to scare off any bears.  He said no, it wasn't him.  I hesitated a bit, then decided to head out for one more mile.  Thankfully, no bears!   But I think I'll be running in one of the local parks for most of my runs from now on.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

I thought all the bigfoots were out here on the West Coast

One m]ust have followed amy back.

after dinner last evening with my now 85-yo IM mentor from those days and his same-age-as-me 72-yo GF, it was easy to decide what to do this morning when the 6am temp was 69-degrees and 71 in the lake down the street so I ran down for a swim, . . . and then an afternoon bike ride under the first cloudy cover in more than a week, if not forever it seems at least since March.  whew.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

coastwalker

Hi everyone,

Heat and bigfoot and bears, runs and bikes, oh my!

I volunteered at the first annual Stratham (NH) Half Marathon this morning. Yeah, it did rain a bit. OK, it rained a lot. And it was windy to boot. I met everyone who turned into the drive before the race, and told them where to go (no, not like that...), and then helped out on the course at a turn at mile 11. The beneficiary had also been the beneficiary of our half marathon a couple of years ago I saw her after the race, and she said our half was much better organized. Hearing that was gratifying for us, but disappointing for this race. I want every race I'm involved with, however I'm involved, to be successful.

DW called early this afternoon to say she and her friend were going to a spa.I spent the rest of the day grocery shopping, vacuuming, mopping floors, doing laundry. What's wrong with this picture...? (Well, nothing. DW deserves a break.)

Now it's evening, and I'm listening to some great music, enjoying a glass of wine. I hope you're having a greta evening too.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I don't have much to say.  I did 6.3 miles, tonight, in 49:20.  Tomorrow is Monday...yippee...

Okay--that's all I've got.  See ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

DW called early this afternoon to say she and her friend were going to a spa.I spent the rest of the day grocery shopping, vacuuming, mopping floors, doing laundry. What's wrong with this picture...? (Well, nothing. DW deserves a break.)

Okay, but why is it her job to begin with?  Reminds me of when DH would say he was "helping" me with the housework and I would say, who made it MY job!  Sorry, Jay, just giving you a hard time...

Made it home and unpacked and am a bit pooped, truth be told.  However, I promised to post this recipe for SteveP's beautiful wife, Michelle, who was so kind and wonderful to put up with all us runner folks over the weekend.

Cabbage Rolls

2 small heads of cabbage

½ lb ground pork

2 ½ lbs ground beef

1 cup rice

1 small onion

2 cloves garlic

2 27-oz cans sauerkraut

1 28-oz can tomatoes

1 29-oz can tomato sauce

Cut core from cabbage: turn upside down in pan of water. Heat until leaves are easy to handle. In a large bowl, mix the next 5 ingredients together. Cut the rib off a leaf of cabbage. Form a ball of hamburger mixture, and place inside leaf. Fold leaf over hamburger. Repeat until all hamburger mixture is used. Spread a layer of sauerkraut on the bottom of a large kettle, the a layer of cabbage rolls, continue layering, ending with sauerkraut. Top with tomatoes and tomato sauce. Cover and cook slowly over medium low heat for about 4 hours.

Such an easy recipe but SO YUMMY!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."