Masters Running

My very first race report (Read 282 times)

There will probably be fines involved as this is my first but here goes... Tonight, 7:00 on the campus of Rochester Institute of Technology was the 18th JP Morgan Chase Corporate Challenge. This is a 3.5 mile road race and huge corporate party held annually in various cities around the world. Runners have to be a full time employee at a registered company, municipality, school district etc. in order to participate. This race has continued to grow. This year there were over 11,000 entrants from 422 companies. Our school district puts in a team. We had 73 people from our district there. 30 of those people came from the school I teach at, so that was a great source of pride. We were all sporting our team technical shirts making it very easy to spot our group in the crowd. The race is quite interesting as about half of the registered participants walk. Most companies have a tent on site and most have food and drink in their tents after the race. It is a great place to catch up with others and do some networking as well. There is a mass start and everyone reports their own time according to the finishing clock to their team captain who in turns submits mens, womens, and coed teams of 4 based on times. There is a camera at the finish to catch those who report lower times than they actually run. Many of the participants are first time racers so dont know pace or where they should start, even though there are banners telling people where to line up. The horn went off and I was stutterstepping, trying to find some space to get a decent stride with 11,000 of my closest new friends. I was shooting for 7:00 miles so lined up at that banner. It took quite some time to find room to actually run. The first mile is all uphill then it levels off and goes back down after that. Weaving through traffic I hit the 1 mile split at 7:35, better than I was expecting. At this point I found a comfortable stride. The wind was blocked on this side of campus due to all the trees. The pack seemed to spread out and I had a good rhythm going still feeling very comfortable. Mile 2 was 14:30 for a 6:55 split. The pack around me kept thinning out and I just kept up my good rhythm. Mile 3 time was 21:40 for a 7:10 split. The finish line looks deceivingly close from the 3 mile mark but having run the cours before I knew it was really a half mile to the finish. Runners circle the corporate tents as the go to the finish. I looked up and saw my finish time of 25:15. I was happy running anything near 25:00. I was a little undertrained but well rested for the attempt. Please address any and all fines owed.
      Wow.....11,000 new friends. Did you catch all of their names? Sounds to me like you had a great time. What a unique race and a great concept. Congratulations on a great clock time under those conditions. Fines?.......the only fine I care to comment on is....."you ran a FINE race!" Thanks for sharing.
      Vista
      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great report - thanks for sharing! Only one detail missing - what were you wearing?? Smile
          Teresa I was weraing a grey technical t-shirt with Crane on the front (my school) and try to keep up on the back, black nike running shorts with grey stripes, livestong socks and cap, and my nike zoom shoes. I like the swoosh. Pictures hopefully to follow.
          huskydon

Great job! Sounds like awesome fun having so many from your school district participate. That is a big race! When you talk about a "mass start", you aren't kidding! Thanks for writing and hope to hear from you again! huskydon

Top 'O the World!

...... try to keep up on the back.....
              ....the rest of that shirts says, "I'm a bomb technician. If you see me running....." Big grin
              Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
              SteveP

11,000 new friends! Sounds like a party! You have a speedy pace there. Sweet.

SteveP

It sounds like a fun race, craneium. That's a lot of people and a lot of people from your school. It's neat that you have that sort of group where you work. You sure ran a speedy race. How did you place as an individual and team? Congratulations. TomS
                    Good race and great report. That is a great idea for a race. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

The Jogger

Thats a cracker time and a cracker report, Well Done Roy
                        Yes, Crane....nice race! Sounds like a fun one. Looking forward to the photos. I think you may win the prize for most quickly posted RR after the race. That's efficiency!!
                        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                        stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And how did your team do? You did great--pretty good time for a lot of bobbing and weaving! Even mid-packers like me get stuck doing that in some races--can't imagine doing it with 11K other folks around Shocked Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

coastwalker

Hi Craneium, Good RR from what sounds like a crowded but fun race. Congratulations on your even pacing, despite the early crowds you had to fight through. What's next for you? Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Sounds like a nice race, and your results were really outstanding. Congratulations! But about those fines: 1) "Great" is actually spelled "greta" around here: $1.00 2) No fashion report (not that I care, but for the ladies): $5.00 3) No stories about porta-potties or other pre-race near-disasters: $2.00 4) No complaints about your Garmin readings vs. the mile markers: $2.00 5) You don't have a Garmin? $10.00 You do get points for the obligatory complaining about getting around slow runners, walkers, etc., but still the fines apply. I'll send you my PayPal address later for collection. Big grin

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

..what a Great Race//.......excellent running......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....