Masters Running

Sunday 7/20 (Read 35 times)

Good morning friends!!  I somehow set my alarm for 4:30 pm instead of am but fortunately woke up around 4:55 and scrambled out the door - wanted to get in a run before my 3rd 12 hour shift in a row!!  Squeezed in 5.1 miles, fast cool shower and in the report room for 7am start!!

Don't love working my 3 shifts in a row but it's easier with no traffic on the weekend and a good head clearing run one of the mornings!!

Mariposai - stay safe!!

Lamerunner - so sorry to hear of your DD's loss ....in my prayers

Hope those R calf issues don't keep spreading and heal quickly for those affected!

Hope you all have a good Sunday!

denise

King of PhotoShop

I'll post now that Deez has been up for about 16 hours already.

Bit of luck for me today. Ran my first 9-miler at the Lake.  Caught up to a slower runner at one mile.  She is an ENT dr. and very sweet, so I slowed down and ran 8 with her, then ran one more in 8:55.  Overall I was at about 10:40 pace.

3rd day in a row of temps in the 70's here in TX, which is a record since 1905.   Spareribs

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Nice head-clearing run before your long shift, Deeze.

Sounds like good company for your 8-miler, Ribs. Congrats on the d9 mile total, and enjoy the cool weather while it lasts.

I was up on time this morning, and I fed the cat and read for about 1 1/2 hours. Then I got ready and headed up to Portsmouth for today's racewalking training session. I got there way early by design, so I could get in some miles before folks started showing up. I went through part of Portsmouth and the village of New Castle before turning around and heading back. It was a good workout, 9 RW miles, but I went out too fast in the early miles, and was fried by the time I got to the last couple of miles. I had a banana when I was done, but that was not enough to get my strength back for our training session. So I only did about a half mile there, and did the rest of my coaching from a bench. I got something more substantial to eat when I got home, which should give me enough strength to spend the rest of the day on yard work.

OK. Gotta go.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Erika.  thanks for the hot links to Equinox results now available from the first one in 1963.

Tthey only went back to 1995 for a long time and mine was in 1994 when

a trip back off the North Slope resulted in a timely Friday overnight in Fairbanks.

I was 51 at the time but that page’s results are too blurred to read

so I’ll check the FNM Sunday edition for then when I’m in Juneau next week.

I don't know what'll make me more tired: Frank Maier Memorial Marathon or GS.

Oh, I guess I do <<<(grandson)>>>>

Good thing I ran four training miles this morning to get ready.

Jay - if you are really coming out to the PNW sometime,

can we get you scheduled for a race walking clinic

around Green Lake? <<<(2.8miles)>>>

mari - be careful / be safe / are you okay?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Deez - that is a long day!  Nice that you got your run in first, though.

Ribs - enjoy those pleasant temps as a nice reprieve.

Jay - well done on the 9 miles before the training session.

We, too, are having pleasant temps, with a low of 62 and the high today should be about 78.  The foggy, overcast conditions this morning were quite nice for my LR.

19 miles for me today.

Tonight DH and I are going to an outdoor concert at our favorite local venue - Blues Traveler, Smashmouth, Sugar Ray, and Uncle Kracker.  We don't usually do concerts on work nights, but this one was too good to miss.  We will do it again in two weeks when Kenny Loggins comes to the same venue on a Sunday night.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Henrun

R calf better this morning so went for short jog. Will do more tomorrow.

DS, DIL, and GD came for visit and we all went for a mile walk before they headed back to Kitter, Maine. Then we were off for food shopping since we had very little since we returned home on Wed. Feels like a full day before 3 pm.

C-R

Hey everyone. Took a week off with family in northern Maine and a side trip to Boston for a say. Not much cell coverage up there but we had an awesome time. Lots of good photos with a side trip to Acadia. Much fishing and we did get to see a bald eagle family and watch what we and our friends believe to be the eaglets first flight. Also saw a moose.

So haven't had a chance to catch up and am sitting in the airport lounge waiting for my flight to FL for the week. Ugh.

Hang in there Lame.

Nice run Ribs and good of you to meet another fellow traveler.

Have fun Holly. Weather should be perfect.

Jay - we really enjoyed Maine. Such a pretty place. Of course we aren't there for the snows but very nice.

Have fun with family hen

Whatever you're up to be safe mari.

Off to the friendly skies.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mariposai

Thanks for your concern and prayers for me and my valley.  230,000 acres burned so far and the fire keeps on burning, but we are safe.

A north wind took the smoke down south. We are starting to see clear sky again.  The Easy Pacer and I ran 5 miles together and I ran 6 more to make it 11 solid miles.

We still don't have the Internet, by we have electricity.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps

Nice running in a variety of climes.  70s in Texas is awesome.

Mari--glad your safe.  Sad to see that kind of devastation.

Someone asked about cardboard boat pics.  I didn't take any but found this which has some of the boats. Silly stuff.

Out for 15 today under overcast skies which helped keep the temps manageable.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I did 21.3 miles in 3:02:12.  I was reminded how quickly a good run can turn bad, today.  About 2:15 into my run and 5 miles from home I thought about maybe adding another half hour to my run.  2 miles later, I was wondering if I was even going to make it home.  I'm still not so sure I did.

Okay--gotta go shower.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tonight DH and I are going to an outdoor concert at our favorite local venue - Blues Traveler, Smashmouth, Sugar Ray, and Uncle Kracker.  We don't usually do concerts on work nights, but this one was too good to miss.  We will do it again in two weeks when Kenny Loggins comes to the same venue on a Sunday night.

Wow--quite the 90's flashback tour!

No run today, as we got up early to drive back to Maine after our neighbor's retirement party last night.  But will celebrate a day off from work with a Monday long run (or what passes for one at the moment).  Then I still get to do work, but doing it at the lake makes it a lot more tolerable.

Glad Mari has avoided the fires.

glad you enjoyed Maine, Norm--you were a bit further north than us.  Pretty spot to visit.  Also nothing like leaping out of vacation mode right back into travel.  Always love having to be somewhere early on a Monday morning. 

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

...glad  mari is ok///.that's scary....

===========

alright,

just one more.

.one of my Favorite VolksWagon Commercials.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5sRvrxY_j8

...........just back from my 4th or 5th weekend on the road, work-out has suffered accordingly....

back at it next week,

I HAVE GOT to add HeavyHands>>>>>>hopefully this will work

......................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

evanflein

Sounds like a fun trip, C-R. I've yet to make it to Maine. Have fun heading to FL now. Quite the range of east coast destinations. How's your DW's wrist coming along?

Holly, that sounds like a lot of fun. Yes, a lot for a work night, but you're right: can't say no! Is this an outside concert?

Glad Mariposai is out of the smoke for now. The one good thing about this cool wet summer we're having is that our wildfire risk is down to just about nothing. Unusual for us, since we're usually burning up 100's of thousands of acres a summer, sometimes with choking smoke here in the valley for days or weeks on end. Not this year. Wish I could send some of this cool rainy stuff your way...

Deez, I don't know how you can go from being off for a long vacation, and then go right back into those long shifts, back-to-back like that. Oy. I'd be a basket case. Nice that you could squeeze in a run though.

Glad Henry's calf is better. Let's not make a habit of community owes, ok?

<warning... race report in the daily>

I took the last two days off running to give mine every chance to rest. Today's temps were in the upper 40's when I got up, and it was barely that (if even) at the top of the hill where we start. The clouds were so low, and it was misting rain for the first several miles. I almost froze, especially my hands! Had to walk a lot of the uphills in the first half because that felt better on my calf, and I wanted to be sure it stayed in the game for as long as possible. This race has a lot of steep downhills, and I love those but this year's shoe choice of the Brooks PureFlows proved to be not so good on the slick spots, and bad on mud. No falls, but enough slipping that I slowed down a bit on the downhill trail sections I usually zoom down. DH met me at mile 8 with my Nuun and dry shoes, but I decided to not take the time. The Brooks are good on downhill (my toes love them) and the rest of the race was pavement, so off I went. He did take my empty Nuun bottle and handed me gloves (yes!) at about 12 mile.

Passed two women who'd passed me earlier on the uphills, and actually had a good strong run the last two miles (the flat/mile uphill is so hard after all that fast downhill). Finished in 2:15:28, good enough for 1st in AG and 6th woman overall. I keep thinking that if my calf had been 100%, I might have (just might have) passed the #5 woman as I was less than 2 minutes behind her. Oh well.

Calf is now pretty upset with me, and I'm hobbling around the house a bit. Oh well, it held up for me in the race so I'll baby it now. Only 60 miles from hitting my 200 mile July goal though, so can't take too much more time off.

And what mention of this race is complete without the elevation profile:

Nice racing Erica, take care of the calf. What distance race was this 16 miles?  I have some catching up to do, but it seems Mari has fires that are threatening, scary stuff.  I've been to Maine once many years ago. We camped somewhere with my sister's family. Mom, dad, my sister and I had driven a rented motor home three days to get there. There were some tense moments going through Chicago, I remember.

We just got back from our camping trip and I finally got my shower, ahhh...... We were the only RV set up on a non-electric loop. All the others were Chinese celebrating something with family all weekend. Interesting music, fun-looking painted tents and even the costumes and dragon came out yesterday and entertained us.

The trip to downtown Minneapolis on Thursday to look at recumbent bicycles was fun but we have ruled those out for now. MrStarr thinks he'd like a road bike with a flat bar and a more upright position, so stopped at Erik's Bike Shop to test a few.  On Friday we biked 22 miles on our old TREKs since we were trying to get the Luce line trail that is limestone. Lots of closed trail signs forced us to the roads for some scary miles.  MrStarr now has a helmet, purchased on the 2nd trip to Erik's.  After that, we picked up the grandkids (2 of them) for an overnight. The 11 month old came with directions and a truckload of stuff.  The 3 year old came with 1000 questions and a lot of energy. We were glad to return them and get a good night's sleep on Sat.

At 7 this morning I ran my long run on the hilly paved trail through the park with just a few walk breaks at the top of hills.  I think it was around 70° already, but my HR was amazingly low. 7.75 miles done.  After breakfast we left for a bike ride. I talked MrStarr into trying my bike shorts, women size Large. I kinda giggled, and even have a photo of him. We had the wind at our backs and went North about 11 miles, woops. That proved to be a more challenging trip back, but 2 hours or so and 24.75 miles was the longest for both of us. I am glad I took the road bike today.  I know one mile was 2:50 seconds but can't find my Garmin to download the data. I can't find my i-pad either.

Time to call it a day. I hope all the other racers had great times this weekend.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

evanflein

After that, we picked up the grandkids (2 of them) for an overnight. The 11 month old came with directions and a truckload of stuff.  The 3 year old came with 1000 questions and a lot of energy. We were glad to return them and get a good night's sleep on Sat.

I just love this. Gotta be the best part of being grandparents, right? Love 'em to death, have fun, then give them back. Like TNally who used to post here awhile ago said, give them back tired, whiney and stuffed full of marshmallows. Or something like that. That being said... I can still wait a couple years.

Starr, the Gold Discovery Run is "officially" 16.5 miles, although the web site says 16.3, the patch you get at the end says 16.5, and my Garmin has measured anywhere from 16.2 to 16.6 over the years. Lots of trail miles in the woods will do that to the GPS. But apparently it's been officially measured, and 16.5 is what it came up as.

Calf sore tonight, but not too bad. I took some Ibu and took a 1.5 hour nap under a big fleece blanket. Finally felt warmed up.