Masters Running

Newburgh Half (Read 26 times)

Hey everyone!

The race company chartered a bus from NYC up to the race, which was over an hr drive, for $35 that was worth it for me.. I just had to be in NYC by 6AM, which meant getting up at 3AM, leaving at 4AM to catch train.. The bus left NYC around 6:25, we arrived at the start at 8AM , race didn't start til 9 AM so had plenty of time.. The runners on the bus were given their bibs on the bus..

We found out the porta potties haven't arrived yet, the race company ordered 15 and no potties.. And I'm someone that usually goes at mile 1 lol.. I''m already sweating bullets and the race hasn't started yet..Expected temps was 85 by the time the race ends..

I am in a virtual running group on FB, over 100 people in this group, they have alot of meetups during the year, I finally got to meet and run with 10 of them today, felt like i've known then for 10 yrs the way we joke around..

The race started at 9:15, I'm usually run aroun 11:30 or so, not getting anywhere fast at that pace, I run for the enjoyment, and to support my local running store by buying plenty of running shoes \ clothes..This wasn't going to be a flat half, I'm not a fan of hills and the hills today make Central Park seem flat.. I'm a slow starter, but felt good at the start, wound up doing the first mile at 11:00, that's fast for me with or without a porta potty stop..So, what do I don on mile 2, run 10:06, and both miles up hill, I knew I was in trouble.. much too fast for me..

By mile 4 I caught up to a few girls from that FB page, and ran with them for the next 4 miles.. All of which seemed up hill lol..

I finally spotted a few porta potties, they showed up! Just in time lol..these things will be going back clean since nobody really got to use them..

I finally finished at 2:54, my slowest half but with that course, I was actually pretty happy..Great time and met alot of great people.

Here is a pre race pic, I'm the guy in back on the right with the white sunglasses..

When I got home, my mother inlaw, a 82 old Filippino woman, asked me how it went.. Told her I didn't win, she looked at my wife and said. "John didn't win", sounding really concerned, my wife rolled her eyes, we go thru this every race lol..

PIR

Marathon Maniac #957

I am in a virtual running group on FB, over 100 people in this group, they have alot of meetups during the year, I finally got to meet and run with 10 of them today, felt like i've known then for 10 yrs the way we joke around..

That's exactly how I feel when I meet one of this group in person for the first time, like I've known them for years.  The meet-ups are the best part of racing.

The port-o-pottie issue would have stressed me out a lot. And considering the heat and the hills, not a bad race - well done!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Mike E

MM #5615

Thanks for the report, irishguy.  I usually go out too fast, too...way to hang in there.  And, yeah...meeting these people make running so much more fun.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

"I finally finished at 2:54, my slowest half but with that course, I was actually pretty happy..Great time and met alot of great people."

Great job!  You covered the most important parts of getting out and running.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

evanflein

Way to hang in there after a rough start! Nothing like hills and heat, that's for sure. Glad to see you jump right in here with a race report with pictures! Well done! (love the MIL comment... she sounded generally concerned)

Mariposai

Your mother in law rocks!!!

Great job on the race and what a fun time you had with your cyber friends!

Thanks for sharing your race report with us. We all enjoy reading race reports.

Cheers!!!

BTW, do you want to run the reach the beach relay with some of us in September? There is a separate thread here where it talks about logistics. It would be a blast. The relay is in September and it takes place in NH.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

coastwalker

Congrats, Irishguy! Sounds like a great meet-up, and a good time, despite the heat, hilly course, late-arriving Port-a-potties, and delayed start of the race. It was a long day for you, with having to get up at 3am to get to the bus on time, but it seems that it was all worth it. Your MIL is terrific!

Thanks for the great RR (race report)!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Great race report Irishguy -- so many people just don't get the enjoyment we find in running and meeting our "virtual" friends -- for me that is the best part of being a runner!!  So glad you joined us here!!

denise

King of PhotoShop

Great job and fun report Irishguy.

I grew up in Cornwall, NY, 5 miles south of Newburgh. I'm amazed they held a half there. Who sponsored it and where did the course start and finish? I'm pretty sure I know every street in that city overlooking the Hudson.  Spareribs

Great job and report, irishguy.  Thanks for posting and including a picture.

TomS

Thanks everyone!

Mariposai - I did read that thread, thank you anyway but not this year..

Spareribs     -  The race started at the end of Broadway, not the best of areas either I have to say.. We immediately a left on Grand and went out and back thru Old Post Road, that was some hill..then turned back..Nice race, if my friends run it next year I'll probably go back..Beautiful area up there, but have to say the scenery gets boring after awhile with all those hills lol..