Masters Running

Toosday, May 5 (Read 37 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Lots of good talks yesterday about soccer, dunes, mufflers, J. Joyce, kayaking, teaching & researching, work, life, and, oh yeah, running too!

Nice 10K, Dave - congrats on making your goal.

Aamos, could shorter races have qualifying times? A friend organizes a 10K that doesn't have qualifying times, but you have to earn your race shirt: he has a formula based on the number of people registered in each age group that determines how of the finishers in that AG get a shirt. Get a popsicle stick when you cross the finish line, and you can trade it for your shirt. He's been doing it that way for 36 years. Newbies are confused, but everyone else just accepts it as the way it is. Also - I have a stand-up desk that I use all the time, and I really like it. No music or dancing though...

Thanks for the advice on picking up an award for someone else, Ribs. Also, I notice this statement in your column about cadence:  "...racewalkers focus on cadence over stride rate." Did you mean stride length instead of stride rate? Yes, cadence is very important to racewalkers, and overstriding can be very counterproductive. However, I did do an analysis a few years ago that showed that maintaining a good cadence and increasing stride length by just an inch can lower one's 5K time by as much as 20 seconds.

Excellent racing by the Posie clan! And a great photo of Mariposai with the bear foot man.

I didn't get much sleep last night, so I was up and out the door by 4. 6.5 RW miles in 65F temps under a near-fool moon that was playing peekaboo through a cloudy sky. It was a tough workout - I had a hard time getting my cadence above about 165 (I top out at about 180, but the fastest racewalkers are well over 200). I just didn't have the leg strength today to move that quickly. But it was still a good workout, so I have no complaints.

Have a greta Toosday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

Got up in time to meet the gang for the 5:00am hill run.  Feels good to have a hard run, shower, breakfast, a load of laundry done, and still signed into work before everyone else.  Of course, by 2:00pm I'll be falling asleep at my desk. 

Now I think I'll go vote for higher taxes for those folks that I am leaving behind when I move. 

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Late riser here.  I didn't make it out until 5:45.  We've had a very short spring around here.  65°F made for a soggy 4 miles at a 10+mm pace.  I'm already missing the 45° mornings.

Dave--a variation on the golden rule?  Do unto others before they do unto you?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Henrun

A soggy run for both of us this morning. I ran one loop of the double loop 5K I'm running Saturday-faster than my usual slow jog. Expecting hotter weather Saturday morning but I hope to beat all the 80+ year olds, if there are any.

Marj is off to meet a friend for lunch via cycle and vote on the way while I walk over (hate cycling in the rain).

Sayhey! MM#130

Good morning!

Well, Mike E gets in 10 miles to my 8 , and Dave is out running hills......must.go.back.to.speedsters............

Seriously, I have been enjoying the hiatus from speed work, taken due to injury but now lingering on for No Good Reason, other than I Hate It.

Anyone else?  I'm in a misery loves company mood....but grateful to be running without pain these days.

Nice post, Mari; love the photo.

And no, no limitations, Jay--that race sounds fun.  I just wonder from time to time why some upstart RD doesn't introduce time qualifiers and see if some of us would eschew Boston for another locale and race.  I'm surprised some West Coast race hasn't tried it yet.

Good luck at the PT today, deez.

So twocat, do you write research papers with colons in them?  you know, like: "The Economies of Baby Kale: a comparative analysis of boutique farms and chicken ranching in Heskaloosa County."     Can you give us an example of a recent piece?

but for the strictures of confidentiality, I could give you samples of some of the ah, *creative* names people give to their children.   Really, children ought to have a cause of action against their parents.

It stayed below 70 this am well past 7 am!  So 8 lumbering miles for me, still able to enjoy the moon.

Happy Tuesdays,

grins,  A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

King of PhotoShop

Jay, thanks so much for your correction.  I did mean "stride length" and I just now went in and edited the post. I appreciate this.

Another beautiful day here but it looks like rain headed our way for the next 3 days.  The Saint and I hit the park today, 4 miles for me and 8 for her.

Spareribs

According to my Garmin, I typically run at about a 175 cadence, so not optimal according to Prof. Ribs.

Did you see about that Silicon Valley exec, billionaire Dave Goldberg, dying at a Mexican resort? They thought at first that he might have had a heart attack or whatever while exercising on a treadmill, but it now looks like it was just head trauma from falling off the treadmill for unknown reasons. Seems he lay there bleeding for a couple of hours before being found (the equipment was in a private facility off of his suite). Wow -- makes me think twice about a couple of times I've severely stumbled while on the TM!

I skipped today's bike ride, which turned out to be a good idea since it's steadily raining outside now. So I went to the gym for a round on the machines. A few more chores to to this afternoon and I'll be mostly caught up on the Spring list.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Jay, thanks so much for your correction.  I did mean "stride length" and I just now went in and edited the post. I appreciate this.

me too, I guess i was mixing up your 180 strides/minute with my 180 steps per minute.

no wonder I'm so slow.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Roach, I saw that about Dave Goldberg and the treadmill.  I've seen several people on FB saying this is why they're scared to run fast on a TM - but the thing is, you can also fall and hit your head when running outside.  Sad for his family.

It's a rainy week here in Colorado - seems more like Seattle weather!  I'm  just doing easy runs this week anyway, because I'm headed out to Bryce Canyon National Park on Friday for a group trail run and camping weekend with my ultra friends.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

I could give you samples of some of the ah, *creative* names people give to their children.   Really, children ought to have a cause of action against their parents.

First names are okay, right?  We don't know who they are, after all.  I used to work for an attorney who did a lot of work in Juvenile Court, and we saw a lot of creative names.   Some interesting boy names:  Sincere, Atlantis, Alcapone.  Girls:  Antonionia, Queenie, Precious, just to name a few that I remember off the top of my head.  Lots of interesting spellings and apostrophes thrown in at odd places.  Some people like to show their individuality in the naming of their children, and some of the names were pretty creative.  I found it kind of fascinating, actually, although there were names where I sort of felt bad for the child.

Mariposa - great picture!

Roch - I wonder how many people are going to use that as an excuse not to exercise at all?

5.1 miles for me today in a lovely 61 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Jay, congrats on 2nd place in your 5K.  evan, nice (but short) 5K.  Xc, good job on your 25K trail run.  tomw, I enjoyed the CR flashback.  Dave, nice 10K and road trip.  tet and the posies, good 12K.

Nice long runs for Twocat, heme, evan, C-R, Mike ribs, CNY, lame, stumpy, and henrun.  Good job on the speedwork for Mike.

This morning, it was in the mid to high 40s and there wwas a light breeze.  I did 5 miles at a an 11:43 pace.

A good day and good runs for all,

TomS

lamerunner

Good afternoon.  Another warm day here, and it feels kind of nice.  I ran 6.5 miles around town; one bank thermometer said -70!   Yesterday was Monday swim and a yoga class, plus a walk at night after watching DS play tennis, just because it was  so nice out.

I think there is something more to the Dave Goldberg death story. I am not a good TM runner and even I have never really fallen off.

Jay, I like the idea of an old fashioned race with the popsicle sticks.  I ran many of those!  I also ran Boston several times before chips came along!

AamosY yes I am ashamed to admit it but some of my paper titles have colons in them.  

Here I thought the goal was 100 millimeters per minute.  Now tetsujin209 says it is steps per minute.   When, oh when, will we switch to metric?  I am so confused.

coastwalker a front of some sort rolled through last night.  I got up around 2am and figured I better open some windows if I were to have any chance of falling back to sleep.

Mike E you really, really need a new GPS watch.  It mill claim you mile repeats have hit a mile before they do, but you can sort of adjust for it.

lamerunner I think you are right about the David Goldberg story being a bit fishy at the moment.  The Four Seasons (where the accident supposedly happened) is claiming it did not happen there.  But I can see how a TM accident could kill you.  A friend of mine died when he slipped on his driveway in a rainstorm.  Whacked the back of his head.  Just bad luck is all.  

Mariposai congratulations to the entire butterfly clan on their Bloomsbury race!

I got out this morning and ran 14.  Fortunately, a bit more than halfway through I heard from some company.  Good thing too.  My last half mile was pathetic!  Pathetic!  Now, back to writing code.  Later all.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

C-R

Hey all.

I've used colons in titles but sparingly cause I really don't know what I'm doing. And yes I prefer to skip speedwork and then gripe about not being faster. Go figure.

My FIL is a retired pediatrician and he had some great first name stories.

Wow. Didn't hear that TM story. Sad but accidents are an inevitability of walking around on this planet. Unfortunate it ended so badly for him and his family.

So I managed a nice 6.5 today but my legs felt like lead. No pop. Thinking recovery from a goal marathon may be more than one week for me.

So only soccer, wrestling, dinner and work left for this evening. Slow night.

Cheers.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
                              "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Hi friends,

Walked in to the PT's office today feeling kind of depressed and dejected and left with renewed hope and plans!! This guy is great!! He is so knowledgeable and is an Ironman triathlete, physical therapist, and coach.  So today he reevaluated my core/trunk imbalances and worked on more hip strengthening plus gave me exercises to retrain my breathing so I am using my inner core. He also did some dry needling to help with the symptoms. I am going to do the New England Season Opener sprint tri this Sunday, then back off completely from running for 2 weeks. He wants me doing the exercises every day and increase my time swimming and biking, plus add in pool running. He sounds like I should still be able to do Patriot 70.3 and I really hope he's right!!

What happened to spring??  I'm not complaining as I love the heat but my DH is melting -- I think this is just a temporary taste of summer then we will be back to spring!!  One benefit is it might warm up the lake temp a bit for the triathlon Sunday!!

Happy running my friends!! Hope some of you are considering joining our Reach the Beach team!!

denise