Masters Running

Lincoln Marathon (Read 195 times)

TomD

Well, going in I am not sure what to expect. I find out that if I am still out there over the 6 hour limit, that I will still be able to finish. I make my goal 5:30. This seems reallistic to me. I am not sure how much the pain from my leg will be, that my doctor has warned me about. Last year when I ran Quad-Cities with a broken hand it was my balance that bothered me more than my hand. Then in 2002 when I ran the Omaha Marathon with a torn cartilage, I discovered that it only hurt on turning left. So I would turn very wide on each left turn at Omaha. I have had some doubles where I could not get my running shoes on. I was usually able to get my running shoes, that I trained in on. At Hogeye last year I wore sandals. Whatever challenge I have been able to adapt some how or some way. The start is around 40 and with the finish in the 60's. It takes me over 7 minutes to get to the start this year. My plan is to start out at a 10 minute pace for the first half. Then slow down some after that to Mile 20. Then I will run at whatever steady pace, that I can maintain to Mile 25, where I will pick it up and finish as strong as possible. I do not accept to get my second wind the final 10k and pass many other runners as I normally do. If I do get into my Zone, all the better. The first few miles go well at a 10 minute pace. Then I run with a friend and before I know it I am at Mile 7 running at about a 9:30 pace. I slow down and he goes ahead. In Mile 10 my knees start to bother me, but no pain from my wound yet. I slow down a little here. Near Mile 12 the half marathoners turn right. All of a sudden I can see only a few runners ahead of me. I run at a steay 10:30 pace to the half, 2:12:37. I usually run the first half between 1:50 and 1:55 at the Licoln Marathon. Mile 14, my knees are bothering me more and more. There is still a long ways to go. Mile 15, I decide to keep my pace around 12 minutes. Mile 16, my legs are feeling sore. Mile 17, my knees are really hurting. The surprising thing is my wound from the Olathe Marathon is still not bothering me. But I can feel the soreness from not training for 5 weeks. I am also very surprised with how well I have been running. I just might break 5:00. Mile 18, I pick it up just a little bit. I am starting to feel better. In Mile 19 is the challenging hill, that I make a point of running it each year no matter poorly I feel. Now I am running through Holmes Park and by Holmes Lake with a nice breeze off of the Lake. Just before Mile 20 is the turn around. My friend Nelson and two women are there as I make the turn for the finish. Nelson does the CD of the different marathons. He is at Lincoln each year. He is from the area. Anyway, I can see if I continue for less than half a mile I would be at Mile 21, instead of turning around and running over a mile. I ask them, "Does anyone take the shortcut?". The good looking twenty-something says, "I would have to chase them down." My question, "Would you chase me?" She answered, "Yes." I said in my sexiest voice, "I think, I would like that." Their was a big laugh. Then Nelson yells out to me, "You are a dirty old man, Tom Detore." Now I am feeling pretty good. I decide to try to stay around 12:00 to MIle 25. I am already doing much better than I thought possible. I pass a couple of runners here and there. Mile 21, I am going down a hill with another hill in front of me. That will be last hill except for the one at Mile 25. The rest of the way is pretty flat. Mile 22, I am still not feeling to bad. A little sore, but my knees have stopped bothering me. Mile 23, I am feeling better, but I still do not speed up. I do not want to over do this one and not be able run the 50k in Ames next week. Mile 24, I am still at my comfortable pace. My legs want to go faster. I have been passing many runners, since Mile 22. I feel good. Now the hill at Mile 25. I run this one. Now it is time to let my leg have there way. I it pick up. It is now a downhill slant to Mile 26 and then flat to the finish. I am passing runner after runner. It really feels good. I cross the finish line with 4:48:47. I easily broke 5:00. Donna is there and some friends. Normally a 4:48 would be disappointing to me, but I am very happy with it today. We go to the post party and have a great time. A local favorite Clarence Osbourne, received a special award at the party for being the only runner over 90 in the half marathon. He got a standing ovation by everyone there. It was very touching for a local legend. Next, TIMTAM in Ames, Iowa, May 11th. For others who may be there Donna will be the pretty blonde at the end of one of the loops, handing out water and a lot of encouragement. TomD
      Tom - way to gut out a race - and you really finished strong in spite of your aches and pains. I can't believe you are going to do a 50K next week! You are awesome. I hope I'm like Clarence and still running half marathons when I am in my 90's. Thanks for sharing!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

This is another great effort in the TomD tradition and legend. It doesn't seem to matter if you are running injured or not, you do well and have a good time. Congratulations. TomS
          WTG, Tom. I heard the weather in Lincoln was great. So you are doing TIMTAM. Me too. I have volunteered a couple of times but never run the marathon or the 50K (not even the 11-miler). It will be my first ultra, so I'll be looking for tips from the master. Donna should have the routine down pat this year. See you Sunday.

I love to run!

Tom, Great report! d00d, you are a machine Shocked You crushed your goal while injured running a marathon and you are preparing to run a 50K next weekend?? Way to go! Loved reading your report, godspeed with your next race.
            One More Mile
            nowor

Tom, Great to read another RR from you. It felt like reading a favorite author to follow your up and down the hills and feel the legs, knees adjust to running again. What a great performance. Looking forward to next week's installment from Timtam. Run well.

Maniac 505

great RR tom, looks like you are coming back quickly and strongly. take it easy on that 50K, and say hi to Donna Dave

Marathon Maniac #957

Wow - after 5 weeks off due to injury, you're really hitting the ground running, so to speak - great job! But be careful....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice race post-injury or should I say not quite post! Glad your knees held out. Super job pacing the race to make sure they would. I sure feels nice to be passing people towards the end!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

btb1490

You kept feeling better as the race progressed! Very impressive! Good luck next weekend!
                        Good job Tom, Your definetely getting healthy again. Look forward to the next one. Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

HermosaBoy

Great job Tom!!! A twenty something is goign to chase you? Rock on!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

selb3

Hey Tom - very good, another finish, under less than ideal health. Your dedication continues to amaze. And you are a apparantly a bit of a Evil grin Ha! Way to go, Dave
                              Tom....I'm late getting to your RR. Yes, gutsy and determined race. Nice job! I love the "would you chase me down" story....it's those kind of things during a race that add so much fun to the experience.
                              Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                              PJH

Great race Tom! I was hurting along with you the whole way. Way to tough it out! Nice support from Donna too! It boggles my mind that many of you can run so many marathons. Continued good luck. PJ