Masters Running

Monday August 20 Recovery Runs and Workouts (Read 469 times)

We went from 93F on Friday to a high of 66F on Saturday.  Which was just fine as I decided to run/hike my quad-slammer hill.  4.8 miles, 1000 ft net elevation gain in the first 2 miles.  The best part was my o/a pace was 15 seconds per mile faster than last time, AND my quads are not nearly as sore.  Then on Sunday I explored another hiking trail.  Parts were very runnable, and other parts not.  I went 2.75 miles then turned around.  400 ft net elevation gain.  I was going to run to the 4 mile mark, where there is a camp, but I was running at mid-day and running out of water and having problems with a really sore big toe.  Still happy that I surpassed 25 miles for the week.  Still on track to crack 100 again for the month.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

What type of fish is the focus of Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea"?   Spareribs

I'm pretty sure marlin, but whether black or white, i can't say.

eta--no wonder, it was a blue.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I weighed 147 once 10 th grade I think. 

Big grin

I love it.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mariposai

What type of fish is the focus of Hemingway's "The Old Man and the Sea"?   Spareribs

marlin?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Leadville is a tough, tough race.  It's one of those that a trail runner like me only dreams about 'cause there's no way in the world I would ever be brain-dead enough courageous enough to run it.   Congrats to your friend!

Congrats on the new job, Tim.

Rest day for running, but did an hour of core and upper body strength training.

I believe the Wilsonater is the spawn of the devil himself.  He started in at 2:30 wanting under the covers, but I'm already having night sweats without adding his hot little body to the mix.  He drove me crazy all night.  "Why don't you lock in another room?" you ask.  Because he would scratch the crap out of the door and howl all night like someone was yanking out his toenails.  . . . . and he's spoiled rotten.  I'm thinking a well-placed squirt bottle might do the trick.  Hmmm . . . .

Leslie
            Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
            -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

It was a marlin. If you remember, the poor fisherman was hoping to sell it and agonized over the sharks that were picking at it. We got this one right.  Here is one we didn't get right.  They have a final question where you generally have to stack rank four answers then wager your points up to 30.  We knew we were in so although we made a good guess on the question we decided not to wager any points. Good call, as we were wrong. Here it is:

List these popular entertainers in terms of years of life, from the one who lived the longest to the least:  Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Bob Hope and Lucille Ball.   Spareribs

Bob Hope, Lucille Ball, Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin?

(Mostly sure of the first two, but the last two are a guess.)

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Bob Hope, Frank Sinatra, Lucille Ball, Dean Martin

MTA: Drat!  Got 2 of the 4 right.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

King of PhotoShop

Certainly you would guess Bob Hope.  The guy was a hundred. I hated him and used to say to the Saint, "When is this guy ever going to die?" I think Sinatra was 82 when he died, so we have one and two.  Dean Martin was 3 and Lucille Ball 4, but they were just a year apart at  78 and 77.

We had it as Hope, Sinatra, Ball, Martin.  We were wrong but we bet zero, so that worked out fine.

So Phyllis Diller died today. On NPR they saluted her and pointed out she was the first of the female stand-up comedians, and that one reason she didn't threaten the male counterparts in the business was that she always poked fun at herself.  She was a gourmet cook and a classically trained pianist, had six kids, and she had a laugh that made you laugh.  We lost a good one there. Good comedy doesn't have to be dirty or mean.  Spareribs

...sorry to hear this,,,,,,,Phyllis Diller was A Classic Stand-Up Comedian........

http://www.inspirationalquotes4u.com/dillerquotes/index.html

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Well...I have some good news and some bad news.  First...the bad news.  After only three months...I'm very sad to say...my Garmin has died.  I plugged it in to charge after Ragnar and, when I came back to take it off the charger, it was dead.  Nothing.  I pushed the reset button for awhile and, still...nothing.  Yes...one of my most favorite things in the world is dead.  Now...the good news.  I bought my Garmin at REI.  I love that place!  I just walked in, gave them my Garmin and the receipt, and they gave me a new one.  No questions asked.  My brand spankin' new Garmin is charging, as we speak, and will be ready to go the next time I'm ready for a run. 

Speaking of my next run...I'm feeling pretty beat up after Ragnar, so I'm taking a couple days off just to let some things heal up.  I should be ready to go by Wednesday, I think.

Okay--that's it--gotta go--see ya!

Marathon Maniac #957

2 runs on Saturday - 11 mile training and 15K race that evening - which I won 2nd place AG. 

Nice racing - and after an 11-mile run in the morning - wow!

Tim - great job on the weight loss!

My DH has lost 37 lbs and has been maintaining that for several months - I am very proud of him.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."