Masters Running

RR – Dam to Dam 20k (Read 285 times)

HermosaBoy

Short version it was a technical PR (I have run 20k faster in the middle of a 25k, but that doesn’t count). This was the 29th version of this race that my training partner Brian has done 10 or so times in the past and always spoke highly of. So, decided to give it a shot… The Good – this race is VERY well organized. Miles and turns are well marked, the water stops are well staffed and there are 2 biffys at every mile marker (more on that later). The Bad – There are approximately 4,800 runners starting on top of a Dam that is only two lanes wide. The Ugly – This race is not Chip Timed!!! Factor this into The Bad and you have a recipe for disaster – more on that later. Got to the race a bit late which did not allow for a normal warm-up. Instead of at least a 2 mile warm-up, did about a half mile with some strides. Not sure if this is enough, but nothing I can do about it now. Brian and I line up about 3 rows back and start taking inventory. Notice quite a few people who are going to be road blocks because they have no business lining up where they are (so much for the bibs that are supposed to seed us). Waiting for the race to start – nerves are raw!!! As we are off, I take about three strides and then we have a problem! Directly in front of me a woman trips and is going to go down! It is odd how time slows down in this instance and all the thoughts that went through my head: Is she really going to fall all the way? Yes Can I run around her? No Am I going to step on her? I hope not Can I jump over her? Going to try When you jump, avoid stepping on her on the jump and then again on the landing Look out for that guy who is trying to turn around and run back to her. UGH – that sound of her sliding on the pavement was really bad! Ok, you are past them, settle down and try to find some space… So, now we are maybe 20 yards into the race and my head is spinning. Brian was able to avoid her as well and tells me to settle down so we can get on pace – don’t rush and don’t expel too much wasted energy – easier said than done. Finally, about a half mile in, it starts to open up enough to get on pace. Plan for the race – aiming for 5:52/mile overall with the downhill being faster and the uphill being slower. The flats – we will see what they bring. Mile 1 comes in 5:50 @ AHR of 146 Mile 2 is a bit downhill, so we decide to take advantage of it. It is at this point that I let Brian know that I did a less than stellar job of hydrating (more precisely – a little too much hydration). I try to ignore it, but it is a hot day and I now I am going to need to take in fluids. Keep running. 5:44 @ AHR 154. Mile 3, not going to be able to avoid it – here comes the biffy. So, I accelerate with about ¾ mile to go to try to open up a little lead on Brian to give me less ground to make up. Hit the garmin as I enter and exit so I will be able to determine how much lost time later (44 seconds). With the biffy stop mile 4 comes in at 6:19 which means I ran a 5:35 and caught up to Brian within around 1.1 miles – I think I will pay for this later!!! When I catch Brian, he tells me to settle down and that we will give a little back to let me recover. ARGH! Mile 5 – 5:59 @ AHR 157 – need to settle down. Mile 6 leads to the first real uphill and comes in 6:02 @ AHR 156. Split for 10k is around 37:29 – A bit behind pace, but not bad with a potty break. Embarrassed Brian and I are mainly passing people, but get passed by one at this point. Oh well, run YOUR race! I ask Brian how he feels and he tells me he is fighting a stitch. My turn to tell him to settle down. Mile 7 – 6:05 @ 156 – Settle in! We work together in the next mile because we encounter a NASTY HILL. We pass one runner and I set my sights on another that I believe is in my AG (easy to spot as a target – he is not running the tangents!). Mile 8 – 6:19 @ 158 Mile 9 – 6:00 @ 156 – try to smooth it out and close on the other runner. One that passed us a while back appears to have about 30 seconds to a minute on us. During this mile, I pass the one who wasn’t running the tangents (waited for him to decide to take a gel and made my move). Mile 10 – 6:04 @ 157 -- Brian lagging a bit, trying to let him stay in touch. Mile 11 – 6:14 @ 160 – Nice Hill – come on Brian -- I back off a bit hoping he will start to reel me in a bit. I steal a look back and it looks like Brian isn’t coming. Just turning them over and try to close on the guy in front of me – appear to be making up ground. Mile 12 – 6:05 @ 160 – gaining on him! Last 0.42 – not going to catch him (he ends up beating me by 17 seconds and was first in the AG) -- 2:38 (6:08/ mi.) @ 166 Just the stats: 1:14:56 (6:02/mi.) 34/4,813 Overall 31/2,580 Male 2/348 M40-44 3/1,019 Masters (1st place was 46 and ran 1:06:42 Brian held on to finish 18 seconds (2 places) behind me with a 3 plus minute PR – Way to go Brian!!! Fell a little short of my goals (sub 1:13), but overall, very happy with the race. I will learn from the mistakes I made and come back next year and shoot for a 3 minute PR of my own! Thanks for reading!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Great race and a very fast time. Maybe not what you were looking for but fast all the same. Congrats Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Rob, I've been waiting for this one. My RR is on another forum. I followed your (I think) suggestion (after my RR last year) of starting closer to the start line, and it paid off. Anyway, enough about me. Great job! It was a little on the warm side, which might help explain why you came up a little short of your goal. But also, I think they started all the clocks on the course when the first gun went off for the wheelchair start. Maybe you blazed by the people calling splits so fast that you didn't notice the discrepency. I heard runners commenting on it and was surprised that they didn't fix the final times. Whatever, you placed and once again demonstrated a warrior's spirit. WTG.
        HermosaBoy

Rob, But also, I think they started all the clocks on the course when the first gun went off for the wheelchair start. Maybe you blazed by the people calling splits so fast that you didn't notice the discrepency. I heard runners commenting on it and was surprised that they didn't fix the final times.
          That would explain how they were so far off whenever they called out splits!!! I will have to check out your RR -- where is it???

Rob

Nice race Rob! That is an amazing time, considering the addition of the "fallen runner hurdle event" and the Porta-Biff stop at Mile 3. It just sounds like you had a lot of distractions, yet were able to get back on track quickly, turning in a very fast race anyway. You could have easily won your AG if you take away the bathroom break. Please pass on congratulations to Brian also. You guys really complement each other well when racing. Keep up the great running, and thanks for sharing your RR. John
              Fast, as usual! Wink
              "I think I can, I think I can..."
                Isn't there a saying something along the lines of "trample the weak, hurdle the dead". You chalked up another nice fast one, hemosa. Congrats on the PR, 2nd AG, and 3rd OA masters. TomS
                  It's really great to hear the thoughts from someone "up front." Your awesome competitiveness is evident in your report, hermosa. Nice race!
                  Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                    That would explain how they were so far off whenever they called out splits!!! I will have to check out your RR -- where is it???
                    Here you go: http://www.kickrunners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30019
                    wildchild

Carolyn

Nice race and nice report! Us mid-packers live vicariously through you fast guys. Thanks for letting us have a glimpse of the front of the pack.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

SteveP

...Note to self: Don't fall over dead in front of Rob. The situation will only deteriorate from there. I'd love to see a Hermosa clan race

SteveP

GreenMan

As always, stellar run Hermes. Congrats on placement and excellennt report. I always learn something from your reports. jjj
                          Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                          HermosaBoy

...Note to self: Don't fall over dead in front of Rob. The situation will only deteriorate from there. I'd love to see a Hermosa clan race
                            Future HermosaClan events are pending. As of today, there are the following where all of us will be racing: Firecracker 2 Mile Afton Trail 25k (just me and KeeMan -- too much for CamScam) Footlocker XC Midwest Championship Houston Marathon/Half Marathon/5k -- One in each...

Rob

Another amazing race hermosaboy! Congratulations! I love the play back at each split and your lightning quick ability to shift strategy when needed. Wings on your feet as always. CNYrunner
                                Hmmmm......if we subtract the potty break........!!!! Great race with all factors considered. Do you know for a fact that all of the racers have gotten off the top of the dam yet? Congratulations to you AND Brian. Great racing. Joey
                                Vista