Masters Running

Frosty Thursday (Read 28 times)

Mariposai

Good morning folks.

Just a quick post to start up the daily and to report my frosty 9 miles run this early  morning. The moon was very cool this morning, but cooler was the company of my RP. Got to love those moments.

Have a terrific Thursday.

Mustang Sally and Aamos, mariposai hugs are coming your way.

cheers,

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Mariposa - nice frosty run!

Only 3.2 easy-paced miles for me this morning.  Weight-training class tonight.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I like the avatar, Nancy!

Still off running and maybe a little afraid to go at it again, so today I spent a good session in the pool. In fact, at just over a half mile, I'm sure that's a lifetime PR for me! It wasn't continuous -- which I definitely couldn't handle -- but in 100-yard sets with a minute or so break between. I guess my obvious goal this winter will be to work up to a full mile, which based on today's leisurely pace will take about an hour.

Now let's hear from some others who are actually running!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Roch - Pool running.  Ugh!  I spent 3 mos pool running a couple of years ago.  During that time, oh how I wished I had a waterproof iPOD or something of that sort!  I think the longest I managed to stay in the pool was 45 min.  45 min of going around and around the square that is the deep end.  One of the workers, though, gave me  tip for doing core work: Get a couple of the float "dumbbells", take off the floatation belt, push the float dumbbells straight down in the water at your side and keep your body in perfectly straight line.  See how long you can hold it before you start to tilt.

I absolutely refused to go out in the wind and rain we were having at o-dark-30 this morning.  No freaking way.  . . . Although it probably would been a great core workout just trying to stay upright.  Thankfully, we had electricity this a.m., but was flickering so much that I got my hairdo done thing.  . . .  Yeah, nobody wants to see the bedhead I always end up with.  Scares the crappola of me, the hub, AND the cats.

I did get in 30 min of The Firm's "Tough Tape 2" last night.  Just about killed me.  I'm guessing that's one I'll keep in the rotation for awhile.

My brother called last night.  Ends up he and his wife won't be spending Christmas with his daughter and her family, so they want to come up to our house.  I'm happy about it since we haven't had Christmas with any family but my dad in probably 5 years.  But that also means we have to do some decorating now.  I'm still don't want to buy a tree, though.  We'll decorate the houseplants with lights, instead.

Leslie
          Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
          -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Now let's hear from some others who are actually running!

for once, that would be me too.
            Though there’s flood warnings all over the PNW, the predicted dire storm front off the North Pacific Ocean must have got diverted somewhere else <<<(ziggie/ziggie)>>>so I sallied forth for a fourth four miler before dawn at 52-degrees in the misty moonlight by the flickering car lights, any place is all right, long as you're running.
            Roch - as one who’s done it in 2:19, a mile-an-hour is only four minutes shy of the IM’s 2.4 mile swim cut-off.  Good luck. <<<[[[YourKnee]]]>>>/<<<(Aamos’Ankle)>>>/<<<(Sally’sFoot)>>>

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

Thankfully, we had electricity this a.m., but was flickering so much that I got my hairdo done thing.  . . .  Yeah, nobody wants to see the bedhead I always end up with.  Scares the crappola of me, the hub, AND the cats.

I woke up with my hair sticking straight up for some reason.  I don't know if I slept funny or the cats were up to something.  Luckily my hair is pretty short so it doesn't frighten anyone, and I was going for a run so all I had to do was put on a hat.

The guys who I run hills with on Tuesdays keep trying to get me to join them on Thursdays for a "Starbucks Run".  Meet at Starbucks at 5:00, run to City Forest and around the trails there for a while, and then back to Starbucks for a coffee social.  So today I show up for the first time and there is 1 car there.  I gave the guy grief about his imaginary group of friends who meet on Thursdays while we covered about 5 miles.

Coffee was good and free samples of hot chocolate were even better.  It was only 17° this morning so everything tasted extra good.

Then I went in the bathroom, cleaned up with some wipes, put on regular clothes, and headed over to the church where I meet with some guys on Thursdays (which is why I don't usually join in the run.)

TammyinGP

I fully anticipate we will lose power today also. DH has the generator ready to go if needed and will fill up bathtub with water. not a good time to lose power if we do since today is our son's 15th bday and between tonight and tomorrow night I'm prepping food for his Christmas Party on Saturday afternoon. 

Haven't run since 11/29. good grief, i'll probably have to do the C25K program when i finally start back up again .

Tammy

janie b good

3.29 t'mill miles.  no snow.  but I'm sure it's coming.  it always does.

unplanned rest day yesterday ... which I will make up on Saturday.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Roch - Pool running.  Ugh!  I spent 3 mos pool running a couple of years ago.  During that time, oh how I wished I had a waterproof iPOD or something of that sort!  I think the longest I managed to stay in the pool was 45 min.  45 min of going around and around the square that is the deep end.  One of the workers, though, gave me  tip for doing core work: Get a couple of the float "dumbbells", take off the floatation belt, push the float dumbbells straight down in the water at your side and keep your body in perfectly straight line.  See how long you can hold it before you start to tilt.

Leslie, I assume you know that I was swimming -- not pool running. For me the worst thing about swimming is that it's dead boring. I never run alone without my MP3 player, which is loaded with various mostly-NPR podcasts (Wait-Wait, Car Talk, American Life, etc.) that give me something to think about. With swimming, all there is to think about is swimming...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mustang sally

Bad faerie

Here's a sound suggestion, Doug:  http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-waterproof-mp3-player/

But I get through long pool workouts one of two ways.  I either swim with a master's club, or I do a structured workout.  (Actually, the structured workout works for pool running, too - I used to do 10' w/u, and then some kind of interval set for about 30' and then 10' c/d.)

You're on the right track with your sets of 100s.  Don't feel you need to be in some hurry to do long continuous swims.  My 2150 today was busted up into 200, 100, 50 and 25y segments.

It's all well for me to talk about motivation, though.  I'm pouting about the damaged foot and dragged myself off to the pool - and the only thing that really came to me at the end was the old joke about the guy who came upon his buddy pounding his thumb with a hammer.  "Why on earth are you doing that?!" he asked.

"Because it feels so good when I stop."

Leslie, I assume you know that I was swimming -- not pool running.

Sadly, no.  I'm not a swimmer (not even by a long shot), so my brain always goes to pool running.

We have the rain coming down again. I talked to my brother this morning who lives in Healdsburg, about 4 hrs south of us.  He had 2 feet of water in the front yard of the duplex where he lives.  He and my SIL were busy saving vehicles and painting equipment from being flooded.

Re my brother - If I could get some prayers for him, he REALLY needs a job.  He's even started applying for prison guard positions, but everything takes months to find out if you'll even get in for an interview.  He doesn't say much about their finances, but I know things are getting worrisome.  I know God never gives us more than we can handle and He takes care of us, but sometimes it's hard not to worry.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

I LOVE RUNNING - and I LOVE running in the snow flurries!!  Glad it's not sticking tho!!

8.4 miles today.....yesterday 2.5 to the gym, leg and glute workout with a friend, 3.7 miles home -- I feel muscles today I forgot I had!!

I keep reading but not good at shoutouts or posting right now - sorry - I LOVE YOU ALL!!

denise

mrrun

I LOVE RUNNING - and I LOVE running in the snow flurries!!  Glad it's not sticking tho!!

I agree with the love of running but not the snow flurries (although they are better then rain)  ran home into the wind and flurries that alaskan and other northerners wouldn't have even noticed.  now ensconced on the couch with tea!

marj

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Haven't run since 11/29. good grief, i'll probably have to do the C25K program when i finally start back up again .

I'm beginning to feel the same way.  I'm hoping for this weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

I am back.  But going again tomorrow.  If you could become a pilot by flying in a passenger seat I would have been certified long ago. [editor:  You were certified long ago!  Oh, I just crack myself up!  Twocat:  ]  Tomorrow though is a very odd trip.  Flight out to California then back on Sunday.  We attend my DW's niece's wedding on Saturday.  Funny thing though, other than the bride's mom nobody from my DW's family really wants to go to this!  Sometimes, it seems like not having blood relatives that you are in touch with (that would be me) is actually a blessing!

evanflein welcome to NY!  You just missed a 5 day storm!  Poor timing on your part!    You should have great weather over the next few days.

Mike E wow sub-8 minute miles on a casual run!  Have I mentioned that I hate you?  Just wondering.  

fatozzig that is at least some good news about the dogs.  I wish though that the owner was banned from having pets rather than getting "instructions on pet care."  For real?  You need instructions to feed your pets?  Come on.  The owner is a putz is all.  As to decorating, I have another solution; convert!  At the house I am the Christmas Jew because I do some of the decorating.  But, I can always declare I am outa here and nobody can complain!  How much to you like pork, lobster, . . .?  

Holly S.  Happy weight training!

rochrunner any swimming you do is more than I can bring myself to do.  When running is out, it is a good way to stay active.

tetsujin209 so long as the rain zigged to where it collects to help end the drought out west that would be all to the good.

Dave59 you don't suppose that the 17° weather could have had anything to do with the sparse crowds?  Nah, who would skip a run in 17° weather?  Oh yea, me!  Glad that you seemed to have had a good time.  Of course, getting a chance to rib your friend is always a bonus!

TammyinGP do not communicate with my DW any time in the future!  Please!  She has been bugging me to install a generator for our house and so far I have successfully resisted.

janie b good I woke up to snow around here.  Bad running snow to boot.  Be happy if it stays away.

Mustang Sally pretty much my view of doing laps in a pool.

deez4boyz given where you live I guess it is a good thing you love running in the snow!  Me?  I love running in sunny 70° weather.  Why am I in New England?  

mrrun it is never worth comparing our environment to that of the Alaskan crowd.  No matter what their weather is way worse!

stumpy77 somehow I suspect you will successfully complete the program!

As to my running, this morning the wet, water soaked snow on the ground and coming down in the air convinced me to run later in the day.  By noon it had stopped and what stuck melted.  Off for 8 I went.  Pretty good pace for me too.  Not a Mike E pace by anyone's imagination, but not bad for me.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/