Masters Running

Thursday's Daily, 4.10.14 (Read 36 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Henry, I hope you had a greta birthday yesterday. Thanks for the poem, the photo, and the remembrances of past races. (Good questions, Tet.)

I'm glad you are still mindful of that aching foot, Holly. I hope you have a good day in Columbus today.

Line runs sound like fun, Aamos!

Funny Esther reference, Deeze, and a good track workout.

Welcome back, Pfriese. I'm glad you had some sproinkiness yesterday.

C-R: Golf? 98 degrees? Pool? Sounds like a tough day yesterday.

Lots of good "8" references, Starr. Can't help with a bike recommendation - my Trek is about 20 years old, but is still going great.

CNY, Ithica is both beautiful and hilly. Good run there.

Great warm-weather run, Mike. Congrats on getting shirtless again.

Nice celebratory planting, Mariposai!

Amen, Tet.

I woke up early, felt good, and so got out early: 6.78 RW miles at 3:50 this morning. It was wicked, moonlessly dark, and it was chilly with the temp at about 28F. I was cruising till about mile 4, when I got some shooting pains in my left ankle that had me hobbling for a while. Fortunately, whatever it was faded away, and I got back on pace for the last 2 miles+. For the second day in a row, I saw a shooting star. And today, I didn't see a single car while I was out there - was the world sleeping in??

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Tramps

Good morning, Jay.  And, yes, at 3:50 in the morning the world is sleeping in!  (Keep an eye on that ankle.)

Great to hear a little of Henry's running experiences.  3:05! Sweet.

Troy--that video was silly.

Lots of warm weather runs yesterday.  I guess Spring's really kicking in.

5 miler for me today with a beautiful sunrise.

Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Afternoon, All.....copying out Henry's answers to tet's queries as they are posted later in yesterday's thread:

Tet- the closest I got to sub-threes were 3:05 and 3:07. My first marathon was Boston in 1976. I ran it 2 years after I first started running and found I really enjoyed running and a medical running group got me a waiver. I BQ'd 7 times. I remember Big Sur, NYC and Chicago marathons fondly as well as many local races in N.H. And Maine. But mostly the races I've done with Marj over the past 12 years, especially the destination races.

Henry, that's pretty durn close to sub-3!  O, please remind me to ask you and Marj about Big Sur!  I really want to do that some day soon.  My running chum from here is going out to do it and travel around there very soon.  Say, I was thinking of you last night when David hit his homer in the bottom of the 8th. "HAppy Birthday, Henry! "  I shouted.   (Fortunately, I had mentioned to the DH that it was your birthday just a bit earlier in the evening, so he was on the same page .)  Cool present!

Now the weather for Boston is rain. 

I'm getting cranked up.  I know, it's early for that.  See why it's good I don't taper much?   Since Sunday (I ran 20 then), I think I've run 60 miles.  I'd check my watch, but it's in the car with my running gear.  In case I get the chance to run.  I ran 8+ this morning, but easy, just a couple at MP. [ Tramps, really love the sunrises now that I run mornings.  Also Mars this am (I think?) No shooting stars, altho I was looking, thinking of your post yesterday, Jay. ]   My running club does 6 tonight after work.  That'll be good.  I'm sounding like Tag.    Imagine the poor DH.  Anyone want to send him a sympathy email, he's at: danl902@yahoo.com.   Isn't it good he's a very patient man?

OK, going to go redo my packing list and recheck the weather.  Maybe I need to run more marathons.  I used to do that.....o, yeah, we downsized our jobs, can't do that so much, right.......yes, I cut the coffee with half decaf already......need more hills, that's the ticket, maybe run more bridges.....

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Happy belated birthday to henrun.  Yesterday was not a running day for me but I did run 8 miles on Tues and 8 miles this morning.  rhoon, great video.

Nice long runs for stumpy, CNY, and Mike.  Good job on the speedwork for deez.

As stated, I did 8 miles this morning.  The temp was in the mid to high 40s when I went out and about 10° higher when I finished.  There was some wind and I had an 11:08 pace.  It was nice to run in shorts for the first time this year.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Nice long runs for stumpy, CNY, and Mike.  Good job on the speedwork for deez.

Much as I would love me a Tselbs mention, I'm afraid I can't claim ANY run lately, much less a long one.   Maybe this weekend.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

mrrun

Now the weather for Boston is rain. 

they can't forecast the weather for tomorrow - possible sun, possible rain - and you think they have any accuracy for 11 days in the future???

lots of nice runs, bikes, walks etc. yesterday.  we biked this morning and will probably just walk this afternoon with some cross-training of cleaning the deck so we can sit outside.

marj

I have been away from the forum for the past couple of days.  Busy, that is all.  Although, yesterday was good busy.  The morning was work but then I played hooky with a friend of mine and we went to Whisky Live in New York City where we met another friend of mine.  We had a great time!  Maybe better!  But I sure did pay for it this morning when I got up.    On the plus side, my DW is working from home today, it is nice out and I plan to run 14 in a bit!  

Holly S. having no kids of my own, I give, what does FCA stand for?

AamosY seems like an odd workout.  I guess somebody saw bikers doing it and said hey us too!  Still odd to imagine trying to coordinate this on foot.  But I suppose mix ups are what make it fun.

rhoon phast I have not seen a post by you in some time.  Could be I just missed em, but if not welcome back.  When, by the way, does the bear cam return?

coastwalker posting in the afternoon?  Sleeping late I see!

henrun that is some racing history!

CNYrunner I think running in Ithaca means running up and down hills.  Up and down a LOT of hills!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Howdy Do -

I'm thinking maybe someone snuck full caff into  A's coffee when she wasn't looking.

TSelbs - I ran in shorts last weekend.  Thankfully there wasn't hardly anyone around to be blinded by the light/revved up like a deuce/
                  another runner in the night.  Now the song is stuck in my head.

I got in my run last night and am happy I waited until Wednesday.  I felt so much better yesterday than I did Tuesday.  7 miles out at the McKay (logging road) with 2x1 tempo miles.  I was very pleased to see that my tempo miles were 8:47 and 9:05, and it never felt horribly taxing.  Not something I'd want to do for, say 2 miles in a row (although I know that's coming), but not horrible.  The rest of the run was good, too.  Didn't sit back in the low HR zone for much of it, so made it a good "speed" workout for almost all of it.

Today was about 40 min of core and UB, which I haven't done in over a week, and I can tell.  My back is the first thing to tell me I haven't been keeping up with my core workouts, and it's been saying, "eh hem," the last few days.

Okay - That's all.  Love ya guys ~

PS - Any of you folks have a pocket camcorder?  I don't have a smart phone and am looking as inexpensive options for a video recording device.  A GoPro is out of the budget right now.

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Lots of good "8" references, Starr. Can't help with a bike recommendation - my Trek is about 20 years old, but is still going great.

Jay, I have a Trek that is about 15 years old that I will keep too. I am waiting for a good sale but since we don't have a bike store, it is a bit difficult. I get so intimidated by sales staff in sporting goods stores, whether it is running shoes or bikes or whatever. I prefer to shop online  but can't do that with the bike. Oh, I forgot to mention that yesterday we disconnected 8 electric customers for nont paying their utility bill. Two are still off but they are college kids and perhaps don't care. I don't like to do cut-offs in the winter, but with 75 degrees, I don't feel so bad.

Amy, how many marathons do you run each year now? You do sound a bit edgy waiting for Boston.

I wonder how David smoked that track meet yesterday.  It is always fun to track his progress.

Mike, great run yesterday. I have decided that you can run with me in The Cities sometime, but only if you run backwards so I can keep up with you.

One year ago today we woke up to a huge ice storm that took out over 900 trees and caused over $2.7 million worth of damages.  By contrast, today is the first day the ice is completely gone from the lake. What a difference!

I am off work in an hour and then plan to go for a short run before orchestra practice. The wind is atrocious, but I will just get a better workout, right?  MrStarr has a project he needs my help with too. He is driving to the Cities tomorrow to pick up the new dock we ordered last fall. Just in time for the ice-out.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

TammyinGP

Hi All!

David had the longest track meet in the history of meets for just 3 schools! 3:45 to 8:15! Unfortunately, he goes to a small rural school and the competition was the two "in city" schools with very large teams so there were so many heats where we weren't even competing or maybe had one athlete in the whole race versus 3 from each of the other 2 schools.

David met his goal in the 3000M which was sub 11. he ran 10:51 (his PR from last yr is 10:07 for comparison) BUT a guy he always barely beat last yr suddenly got taller, more muscular and a lot faster. He ran 10:22, so David came in 2nd which did not make him happy.   He also ran the 4x400 relay and they ran a 4:42 or so, but were about 20 sec behind 1st place. They are not going to have a strong relay team and david knows that so he just looks at that as more for fun since he likes relays.

I'm heading up to the school later this afternoon for a recovery road run with the distance kids. oy, it's going to be a hot one again today!

Tammy

Congrats to David.  Too bad about the growth spurt of his competitor!

I saw this on FB and thought it was pretty dang appropriate for everyone here:

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

........Greetings from Slug-ville//.........nice see henrun's Running Mementos..........AMAZING Racing henry

squat here

doodley variety

........................good running to the rest of ya............

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Back in the land of internet and cell reception!

Aamos - it does sound like taper madness is getting in, yet that's not a taper!

While away, I did a 5 mile run at the cabin on the forest roads.  Sadly, very sadly, my beautiful trail with 1000 ft of elevation gain was closed due to LOGGING!  They better not be clear cutting that area, and hopefully just thinning for the planned expansion of that campground.  I was so bummed by it.  There really is nowhere else to run, except on remote forest roads, which makes me a bit nervous, even with the dog.  Last night I did 5.3 with the dog again, back at home.

Will go back and read some of the dailies.

Later tonight my son is making his own birthday cake!  Meaning, I will have to buy some missing ingredients and do all the prep and he will stir everything.....but it is a start!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

pfriese

Pack Pint Run after work.... 3.5 miles at 9:40/mile.... Still sproinky....  Not supposed to feel like this after a marathon?!?!?!?

Paul

Just did some back-daily skimming.

Wildchild - wonderful news about your DD!!!  I hope you come out here, finally get to meet Tet and we can run some OH SO AWESOME trails together!!

PS - Is your daughter prepared for the dark and rain 8 months of the year??

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."