Masters Running

Winning Wednesday (Read 42 times)

Morning all,

I feel like winner today. When I got to the Y to swim at 5:30 she informed me that the pool would not open until 6am because of lightning. I guess since the indoor/outdoor pools share equipment it is not safe. So, either I could swim in the lake or bike. Yeah, biking won. Twice around the lake in 43:15, about 10 miles. Now to get ready for work in 30 minutes. Today I really am a winner since it is my 2 year sobriety anniversary. I feel so great and it has gotten so much easier. How about you all tell me why you are a winner, we all have victory over something. We know MikeE won a marathon, and I am sure Aamos has won more than a fair share of races.  I am anxious to hear.

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

coastwalker

Morning Starr and everyone to follow!

Yesterday's daily, as far as I got in it, has some wonderful posts. It's too bad I have an early morning meeting I have to prep for, and don't have time to recap/comment, so I hope Twocat will do so in his great, amusing way.

But before I go: Congrats on your 2-year anniversary, Starr - that's a great accomplishment! Ribs, latex-free gloves should be standard in any dental office. All of our dental products are always latex-free because it is easier to just avoid that issue. Holly, I'd also get another quote for the sidewalk slabs.

I have nothing as monumental as Starr to claim for being a winner,. So I'm just a regular (or irregular) guy, and I'm OK with that.

I got up a little late this am, but was still out by 4:20 for 4.4 RW miles in a warm, light rain. The westerly breeze kept things from getting too steamy, and I appreciated that. OK, gotta go.

Have a greta Wednesday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

StarrRuns anybody that has overcome alcoholism to remain sober for 2 years is a winner every day in my book.  A real heartfelt congratulations to you.

coastwalker sorry you posted one minute after StarrRuns so she wins the who gets to start the daily contest!  Me?  I only ever win it by heading out to Europe and getting a 5+ hour head start on you!  

dg. you should be happy about returning to some semblance of mobility.

SteveP seriously, you should write a book.  I have said this before, but you like to write and your material is quite funny.  I bet it would sell quite well!

Mariposai and all others with Boston qualifying times:  I actually came in early to the thread today (well early for me not coastwalker seeing as I am in the US and thus not able to stir out of bed or on to a computer in time to be here as yet, even if I am here now) to explain what appears to be the BAA procedure.  Here is the short version:  Unless there is a major change in either the number of people suddenly qualifying or a significant reduction in the number of runners they let in from 2013 (not 2014) anybody that qualified for 2015 and signs up when they first can is in.  Personally, I put the odds so high that I will be happy to bet $10 that everybody with a qualifying time that signs in to register for the race on or before 9/13 will get in.

Long version of the above:  First the relatively easy to understand and pretty close to how the BAA handles entries at the moment.  Begin with all of the people that enter on or before 9/13.  The BAA then ranks people by their qualifying buffer and takes the those with the largest buffers (fastest times) until they fill up.

Instead of having a simple straightforward system to do what I have above they instead uses a convoluted process that accomplishes the same thing.  Here is what the BAA says it is doing.  They start with four groups:  Those with a 20+ minute qualifying time buffer, those with a 10+ minute buffer those with a 5+ minute buffer and those with a 0+ minute buffer.  The web site will allow the 20+ people to log on first, a few days later the 10+, etc.  If the field fills up when one group is done, that is it the web site will not then open to the next one.  However, no matter what, the BAA does not seem to have any plans to increase the field size should a group send it over its limit.  Thus, for example, suppose so many 20+ and 10+ people sign in that the race fills up.  In this case the registration would close as of 9/12 this year.  If this were to occur, the BAA will then take those with the greatest buffers within that group.  So, in theory, somebody with a 12 minute buffer could get in but somebody with an 11 minute buffer would not, even though both entered prior to 9/12.  This is equivalent to what I indicated as the easy way to think about the process.  If everybody were allowed to register on or before 9/13 the exact same people would get in!  The BAA just does this in a very complex way.  

Now for the part people really care about, will they get in?  If you qualified, this year almost certainly yes.  A few years ago they tightened the qualifying times by basically moving all of the age group times up one half decade, that translates into a 5+ minute decrease in the time you have to finish to qualify.  The year prior to that change the race sold out and some people with qualifying times did not get in.  However, the cutoff was under a 2 minute buffer!  By reducing the qualifying times by 5+ minutes they not only excluded those that would not have made it under the old rules, but some that did as well.  The following year, no surprise, the race did not sell out by the time they got to all those that had a 0+ qualifying time and entered on or before this year's equivalent to the 9/13 deadline.  Thus, if you qualified you got in.  Period.  Last year they increased the field to 36,000 people from 27,000.  That no doubt soaked up a lot of demand to run the Boston marathon and I suspect will result in, at the very least, a reduced rate of growth in the number of people trying to get into Boston this year.  Given the increased standards, the prior record regarding when the 2013 entries sold out and last year's increased field size it seems to be almost a slam dunk that everybody who qualified for the 2015 marathon and signs up on or before 9/12 will get in.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Good morning, all.  Just realizing I've been a bit out of touch over the past week and a half.  Somewhat keeping up with reading, not much in the way of writing.  May have set a new record with trips to three different states in that time--NJ, KY, and VA.  And then back home to MA each time.  Managed to get in a few runs, both outdoors and hotel TMs.  Not enough distance, but keeping moving at least.

This morning was 4 miles around the lake.  71F and humid.  Who's idea was this summer stuff?  have no real idea of what the pace was, other than slow, as Garmin did something weird with my average pace display.  after about a mile I looked at it and it was 50:00/mile  and dropping.  it ended up somewhere around 24:00/mile, so will be interesting to see what the download looks like.  the distance was fine.

Holly--I find it a bit strange that the homeowner is responsible for sidewalks--everywhere I've lived, the town deals with them.

Starr--it's not fair to make me think that deeply so early in the morning.  I'll have to get back to you on that.

ETA--Starr--I forgot to congratulate you for your 2 years.  WTG!  And TC--see comment to Starr above.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Good mornin' all, and a very pretty one we had, too.  Relishing each day that is not jam-packed with humidity (my barometer is simple: if my shorts are not dripping wet when I get home, it's a low humidity day here in the summer.)

Can't believe it took me so long to run in the early morning.  Another thing I have to thank TFA for, as that is the only time I had when we were in Mississippi to get out and run.

Congrats Starr!   I was awol 2 years ago, so I didn't know anything about your decision, but glad to be able to be here now and wish you heartfelt best wishes for continued success a day at a time.  Way to live!

So who doesn't think our Steve is a romantic guy?  I mean, finding a place with gum-free tables.  And i heartily second twocat's idea.  I'd buy a copy--hardback even (so long as Tag is a co-author).  Oh, and loved loved loved the Iris photo.

O gee, can't wait to the end, that's 2 straight one run games (really sorry Twinkies).

That sidewalk bill is just a huge bummer.  And really bad timing. --> trying not to use bad word here, Holly.

Thanks for BAA news and interp Mari and twocat.

Hi deez and dg.  Glad to see you Kevin, Cranium, Dave and everyone (and congrats on the race, Irishguy).  I had court yesterday and have to skip out to a dentist appt later, then going to Duluth, so can't write as much as I'd like.

Three day taper starts today.  5 miles this am at just under 10 minute miles.  Speed work last night went well; we did 800s.  I got in 6 at under my 10K pace.  Thinking I'll go easy in Duluth as SanFran and Leading Ladies are ahead in July and August.

Find some fun today,

grins,

A

oh, and I am a winner in so many ways, but not race-wise.  There's DH, who supports me being a running fool.  When I told him last April I was going to Boston this year even if only to pick up trash, he totally got it.  And he made unbelievably good turkey burgers last night on the grill.    Most of all, every day is a "win" in that my cancer in 2003 was discovered only because my little strand of malignant lobular breast cancer (most common is ductal, which grows in lumps) draped itself over a lump.  I'm told lobular breast cancer is stringy instead of lumpy and so harder to detect with mammograms or ultrasounds.   My surgeon biopsied the lump and that was benign.  Fortunately, he took out the strand as well and I got an early diagnosis.   As he commented when he gave me the news: "we just missed getting hit by a runaway train."   So I'll keep running in front of that train for as long as I'm able. 

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

#artbydmcbride

You are a real winner Starr! 

I just became the 2014 RRCA Female Senior Grand Master Trail Half-Marathon State Champion. 

Runners run

Mariposai

Keep running in front of the train, Aamos.

Twocat, thanks for the explanation.

Stumpy, you sure travel a lot.

Wildchild, my birth-sistahhh, I am so excited with you about your upcoming 50 miler!!! You have grown so much as a runner! You will do fantastic.

Ok, I want to comment more, but no time right now. No run to post, but just 30' of FITT training. Today mark my one year anniversary of doing XT two hours a week. It is amazing to me how much I dislike doing any XT, but by having an accountability buddie helped me stay on track with my plan. In one year by running less miles (which gave me the time to do other type of exercise or sports), doing more XT (mainly videos with core, abs, arms, legs and weight exercises) I lost 18 pounds, reduced 8 inches from around my waist and most importantly I feel strong and my running pace is faster. I like it.

Cheers!!!

Ohhh, btw, we are still looking for team mates for the Reach the Beach Relay. Stampy, twocat ribs will be waiting for you on Thursday night  if you sign up (ohhh, don't tell twocat about this promise ).

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Ilene!!! FANTASTIC!

Congratulations Starr---fabulous anniversary news!

And Aamos.....Love you and love your doctor too. Grateful, grateful.

Happy Anniversary SteveP! Loved the write-up of your special day and maybe save Chuck E. Cheese for the 25th----really special? 

Don’t count yourself out yet Maraposai when it comes to Boston registration. It’s hard to tell what the time margin will be and while interest is always high, it was sky high last year. Twocat has it right.

PBJ!

Craneium!

Be excited wildchild---all you want. Yes, crazy maybe, but you are in good company. You’ll run it wonderfully and your enthusiasm is contagious.  Ultra-Amy will be the RD for VT 100 in July 2015----next target?

Work travel continues at an intense pace, but always time for rnnning even if at Jay O’clock most mornings. I raced with my team on Sunday (RIbfest 5 miler) and had a blast and then ran 10 miles on a great trail in Northern NH, hill workout there the next day, 15 miles this morning and it’s off to Albany this afternoon.  The kiddo and I will race on Sunday at the BAA 10k.

It’s so great to see your return to running strength Ribs.

Dave59

I started to run over to the gym this morning but it started raining and thundering so I came home.  I estimate a 1.4 mile run.  On the way back I said to myself that I'll just do some push-ups and stuff at home.  But once I got home, I got some coffee & breakfast and sat out in the garage to watch the rain and lightening.  Then I took a shower and started working.  I forgot all about the "push-ups and stuff."

(3 hours later, I came back to this tab in my browser to see I haven't clicked "Post"  Wink

TammyinGP

Great start to the morning Starr! Thanks!!

Congrats Ilene!! That's a wonderful accomplishment.

I bet Mrs.P thinks she's the luckiest woman in the world. Celebrating her wedding anniversary in such a nice restaurant AND she's married to a SuperHero. I think many little girls dream of marrying a superhero and her dreams came true. Lucky woman!

Have a great time Carolyn!! I can't wait to read about your epic adventure!

Tammy

Henrun

Boy, do we have winners on this site. Congrats to all!!!

I feel like a winner when I wake up and another day is in front of me. I'm blessed with a wonderful family and the ability to keep up my favorite physical and intellectual activities at my age.

Ran 2.5 miles early this morning as a "taper" for my 10K on Sunday and then walked 1.5 miles to attend a discussion group.

King of PhotoShop

Great news Starr. A few people here are also recovering well and we always are supportive, so feel free to let us know how you are doing and we will congratulate you and celebrate with you.

Good play Steve P.

Ilene, that is great. Glad to see you get some recognition for all your fine running.

Leave it to twocat to give us a great BAA analysis. Makes perfect sense.

Hi Aamos!

And speaking of cancer, yesterday was 7 weeks since my surgery and each day I look for little signs of improvement that I can focus on to stay positive.  I was running 11 min/miles when I started. Today was 5 miles in 50:40, or 10:08.  I'm not going to press this, but looking forward to getting under ten min/miles for the same distance soon.  It's hot here now of course but that is JTWILI!  Spareribs

,,,yep, steveP is a RomanticDevil.......and always tood to hear from starr

....hi ilene//.......check in more often

==========

....40mprnb

deo

.......actually had 10-hours of sleeps last night, !!!!!

I am

beginning to suspect PoolRunning is just Boring

(naw, that CAN'T be it)

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Fletch

Greetings, all.

I know I'm sounding like a broken record, but I promise, after this busy week is over, I'll spend a little more time recognizing and responding to your posts.  I do want to say...Starr - congrats on the 2 years!  That is definitely what I call WINNING!

Somehow managed to get in 14.5 miles last week.  After a break since last Friday, I finally got back out this morning for 4.2 miles.  Now it's back out to the golf course for coverage of the Women's Open.  If any of you are interested in hearing what "Fletch" sounds like, I'll be sitting in on the live breaks for our radio station.  We stream the broadcast at www.star1025fm.com (just click on the "listen live" link).  I'll be on periodically from 5-7pm tonight, 3-7pm Thursday and Friday, and occasionally throughout the day Saturday and Sunday.  Here's your advance warning...I grew up in Georgia and have spent my entire life in the south.  If a southern drawl annoys you, don't bother tuning in.

Happy, safe running!

PBJ

Marathon Iowa 2014

Ilene - that is just tremendously fantastical splendiferous hardware!  You rock!

Twocat - I actually read your long version explanation of the convolutedness of the Boston registrationification.  I hope your conclusion is correct, as I only exceeded qualifying by three measley minutes.  Are all the hotels sold out already?

Ribs - I failed to mention the other day, but your eldest looks great.  He's lost quite a bit of weight, hasn't he?  Nice.

I haven't lifted in a week - I'm jonesing.

https://www.facebook.com/marathontomarathon/photos/pb.155560211299419.-2207520000.1403113190./243390682516371/?type=3&src=https%3A%2F%2Ffbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net%2Fhphotos-ak-xpa1%2Ft1.0-9%2F10441186_243390682516371_357875933773027677_n.jpg&size=960%2C640&fbid=243390682516371