Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 11.3.14 (Read 32 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Nice racing over the weekend by The Saint, Ribs, Marj, Henrun, Tet (who'd I forget???), and some great runs by the rest of the group. Nice angel-sighting, Tet. Stumpy, looking at that photo makes me shiver.

Marj, that award banners looks like a nice window shade. But I also really like Denise's suggestion for what to do with unwanted medals/awards - everyone wins!

Get better, TW!

It was in the low/mid-30s with howling winds this morning, so it was easy to keep up my regular practice of taking a SRD on Mondays. But now I have to get to work.

Have a greta Monday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Slo

Jay,

I think it's ben windy across the nation. Head wind all the way for my morning commute.

6 miles...3 into the wind, 3 at my back.

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning, Jay and Slo and all to follow.

No run for me today, just 30 minutes or so of weights and core.

This afternoon begins the tryouts for the girls' 7th grade basketball team for DD.  Another parent told me that last year they only chose tall girls, regardless of talent. Hmmm.  Not sure about that, but DD is pretty short....however, she is quite talented at ball handling, so we shall see.

Will check in later to read what the rest of you are up to...

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

Good Morning!  And a sunny one, at that....DH came back just after venturing forth this am, saying he didn't need his headlight.  .

Sayhey Starr, 10:35 pace, very nice.  Good luck with the surgery.

Congrats on the Half Results, Ribs and Saint.  It's fun reading about your coaching/Saint's progress.  Keep it up!

Anyone else see CNY Runner's post about the Manchester Marathon?  She got blown over at mile 19 (some spectator helped back up) and fought headwinds, weather, etc and still finished in......well, I don't want to steal her story....

Each of my 1st grade student got to choose one of my marathon medals at our "Heading to 2nd Grade" party at the end of term when I was teaching.  We also used the Little Rock (ginormous) Medal for the Birthday Person; s/he got to wear it and we decorated it with festive birthday cut-outs.

tw, why not a Lamborghini or Alfa Romeo?  And of those two, which one?

I will, Jay; always share your race reports with him.   Thanks so much!    The medal had a sort of business looking shoe on it (as opposed to the sneaker on the runners' medals).    He got another one yesterday at the half we did.  (This was a beer glass, as it was the Shipyard [Brewery] Half).  That was a first for him, 2 races in 2 days.  I have to look up the official results, but I think he got in at around 2:44.   His pace overall was under 12:40, so he's happy with that.

Confession: I ran the half without a chip.  I showed up in the morning and was given my bib and pins (now, in my --admittedly lame--defense, most of the races here have a light piece of foam in the bib that records time).  The bib had one of those tear off strips along the bottom, with my name typed on it.  The race was in a small town, so I figured it was old fashioned timing.  (The Abebe Akila MArathon was like that, just this past September, in D.C.)  And the volunteer who gave me the bib never mentioned that the chips were being given out outside the building we were in at a table.  Of course, just about everyone else seemed to have figured this out!

I'm an eejit, I know.    asleep at the switch......  o well, by my watch I was 1:36:38, slower a bit from last Sunday, but this one had 2 over and back bridge crossings, and it was a STEEP bridge (you get sort of spoiled about running elevations here in coastal Florida...)  And after the RD and Scorer yelled at me sufficiently for being stoopid, they did acknowledge my finish.

So, we'll see how I do this coming Sunday.  It's the Ft. Myers Marathon and I haven't run long since Oct. 11.  Last Sunday, tacked a few miles on before and after the half to make a 17 miler out of it.  That's been it.  7 easy ones this am at 9:35 or so.

Rooting for Sarah, Holly!!    Let's do it for the vertically challenged, of which I am a proud member!!

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

TammyinGP

Good Monday Morning to you all!

I almost felt like I was leaving the house late today since the first time in weeks it was actually LIGHT out!  Although I wasn't a fan of it being dark by about 5:30 last night. 

Whirlwind of a weekend for us. David competed in the State XC meet in Eugene on Saturday, then we had to drive him across the mountains, where we encountered some snow, for 2.5 hrs to Bend, OR for an FBLA leadership conference. We got him there at about the same time the bus arrived with all the students, so he didn't miss out on anything. Dropped him off there, and headed out for the 4 hr drive home, again through some snow and dark, which I was not a fan of at all. Didn't get home until after 9 pm, so very long day that was about 80% driving. And all it felt like I was doing on Sunday was catching up on laundry and cleaning.  David performed well at State and he is happy with what he did. He ran 18:21, which actually put him at 61/104, but of the freshman, he was 5/15, which was more of what he was measuring himself against. He should have been 60/104 and you can even see from my finish line pics that he was ahead by a very narrow margin, but point-wise it doesn't change anything. Although the next placed team was only 2 pts behind us, so even if one of our other runners could have placed a few spots ahead, we could have eeked into 10th place. But for our very young team, an 11th place finish was good. Our senior runner, who was seeded 2nd by only 1 second, was anticipated to win and he took 18th. He was really beating himself up for not having the day he should have and it's a shame because there were several college coaches scouting him out that day. 

David comes home from his conference tonight and I'm sure after 3 nights of sleeping elsewhere, he'll be exhausted and so ready to be home. I hope his dogs, who have been sleeping in his bed, remember that it's not really their bed afterall.

Tammy

Dave59

Getting blown over is something I never have to worry about.. (Just tripping over imaginary cracks in the pavement.)

I overdid the outside work on Saturday. Every possible task you can imagine. I tried to run Sunday, but my hamstrings, hips and back hurt so much I quit after a mile. Today I was feeling better and ran 3 miles. Just sore hamstrings today.

For SteveP, here is Riley on Halloween:

http://tinyurl.com/pmuq6jq

janie b good

3.38 tmill miles for me.

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

welcome to the good times club, ribs.
                  Not that I would know anything about it or anything like that but, especially at your age, it’s hard to have a better time that when having a good time because someone else had a better time.
                  I’m still looking askance at any chair or sofa knowing that, if I sit down, I’ll have to struggle and strain to overcome screaming quads to get up, not so much, if at all, from Saturday’s 7,000 feet of ascents accumulated in this year’s Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run (including 126 stairs on the up porrtion) but the same quad-thrashing pounding descents, including 120 extended steps dug into the slopes on the way down.   Staring at the street seemingly so far below the curb before stepping off, grasping handrails for dear life going down stairs, . . . no wonder I love running so much.

ps aamy - where’s the windy MCM RR’s?
                  Please tell ‘em FB RR’s don’t count.

pps tammy - what does david do in the winter? BB?

ppps dave - how many GK do you have?

ARe you leavin' 'em all to go to WV?

pppps janie - try trails, not tmills.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Dave59

pps dave - how many GK do you have?

ARe you leavin' 'em all to go to WV?

Two granddaughters. Both in Tallahassee Florida. Still hope to get down there some day or at least spend more time down there.

King of PhotoShop

Thanks Tet. Hard to believe that just 9 years ago at age 59, I ran the Half in 1:34!  The times, they are a-changin'.

The Saint and I did stumble through 2 miles of recovery this morning, and now I have a full load of work to do today, but it's fun work: invoices for October!

Here's my Dallas Morning News post for today about yesterday's race:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2014/11/take-a-bow-steve-johnson-and-linda-wills-drc-recap.html/

Spareribs

TammyinGP

pps tammy - what does david do in the winter? BB?

He used to play basketball as his winter sport, but this will be the first time he's not going out for a winter sport. He felt that it would take away too much of his running fitness and he wouldn't be as ready as he could be when T&F starts up, so he'll do winter training with the XC/Track kids (Coach holds unofficial winter conditioning for the kids that want it), plus not being in a sport will allow him to get more involved and do more things with FBLA (Future Business Leaders of America), because he misses some opportunities due to his XC schedule. I think he's also looking forward to a break from mandatory daily sports. He's finding that HS academics are more time consuming and even though he's at the end of his first quarter in HS and still pulling all A's, he's looking forward to more time for studies as well.

Tammy

Nice racing for ribs and The Saint.  Mike, it's neat you got to hang out with your grand daughters.  tet, way to go in your 12 hour fun run (fun?).  Starr, I hope your surgery goes well.  Aamos, nice half but bummer about the chip, or lack thereof.  Dave, your grand kid picture will make Steve's day.

Nice long runs for evan, Stumpy, Holly, and Mike.

This morning, it was in the low to mid 30s and there was a little wind.  I did 5 miles at a 10:54 pace.

My wife is doing well enough after her back surgery that I am heading to our son's this afternoon and will babysit my little buddy tororrow.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

janie b good

pppps janie - try trails, not tmills.

^ that's tomorrow! ... when I will have company on my run.  daughter will be joining me!  Wink

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Marathon Maniac #957

I’m still looking askance at any chair or sofa knowing that, if I sit down, I’ll have to struggle and strain to overcome screaming quads to get up, not so much, if at all, from Saturday’s 7,000 feet of ascents accumulated in this year’s Carkeek 12-hour Fun Run (including 126 stairs on the up portion) but the same quad-thrashing pounding descents, including 120 extended steps dug into the slopes on the way down.   Staring at the street seemingly so far below the curb before stepping off, grasping handrails for dear life going down stairs, . . . no wonder I love running so much.

(((Tet's quads)))

Dave - super cute!

Aamos - I, too, am a member of that vertically challenged club....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Sayhey! MM#130

My wife is doing well enough after her back surgery that I am heading to our son's this afternoon and will babysit my little buddy tororrow.

Here's hoping y'all get to Charlevoix in June!!

tet, just needed to add that you set the standard for traveling the decades as well as anyone else I know or read and I'm grateful for it.

And Jay, I forgot to mention our friend  won the RW half overall in 2:21.  His dad was a pretty good RWer, last name Ormrod.

Oh!  and hugely wonderful shot of Kevin (stumpy) after a very torrential 15 miler on FB!

But in my mind, Holly, I am a tall person.    (like Jo in Little Women).

Feel better, Dave!  Hi jamie and slo

OK, break is over now.  Nice to spend it with my favorite running peeps!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)