Masters Running

Thursday 3/20 Where Did All the Degrees Go! (Read 34 times)

I got up this morning and it was 21°!  What is with that?  Yesterday snow!  Today no heat?  Tomorrow?  Locusts?  I know frozen locusts!    Despite the frosty temperatures I went off for a 10 mile run.

Speaking of where did all the degrees go, where did all of the masters in the daily go?  There is no way I should be starting the daily at this hour!  

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

I was wondering the same things, TwoCat. And it dropped to the mid-20s here this morning as well.

Very discouraging run this morning that turned in to more of a walk. I had some leg soreness after Saturday's 5K, but by yesterday it felt good and didn't give me any trouble in a short jog on the treadmill at about a 12:00 pace. So today I started out with a group at a bit faster of a pace and almost right away I had pain in my left hip area. I split off from the group to head back and then stopped to walk at about the 2-mile point. Apparently this let it stiffen up so when I tried to start running again, it was not pleasant, so I  walked the rest of the mile back to my car.

I have a checkup at the doctor later next month so will have to bring this up. It's really been sort of "there" for quite a long time and maybe we'll have to get to the bottom of it. The pain is pretty hard to localize so not sure if it's a muscle thing or maybe something deeper. 

I hope that the rest of you are out running somewhere today and with more success than I had!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I got up this morning and it was 21°!  What is with that?  Yesterday snow!  Today no heat?  Tomorrow?  Locusts?  I know frozen locusts!    Despite the frosty temperatures I went off for a 10 mile run.

Frozen locusts would be painful to be hit with while running.

I know where I've gone--which is traveling, making it really tough to get up early enough for TM time, and also losing motivation when I'm home.  I really need to get a race or two scheduled to get me inspired.  Which brings me to this point.

for all of you in the Boston area that weren't part of her original email chain, La Tortuga is looking to see if there is any interest in the Shape up Somerville 5K in April. a bunch of us ran it a few years ago when she was RD.  http://www.somervillema.gov/news/6th-annual-shape-somervillerec-road-race-april-19        it is the same day as Robin's Masters Partay, but why not double up with your master's meetups?

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

No run for me today. but lots of sitting in the car, sitting on metal bleachers, more sitting in a car.  Leaving at noon to drive to Coos Bay (2.5+ hrs), wait almost 4 hrs until David's 3000m race, watch him run for 10 min, then head back home.   Long day.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Hear that giant sucking sound?   Noooo, it's not the locusts, it's SW FL vacuuming degrees down here.  Very slow 6 miles this am.  At least it was in my red "Boomer Reunion"  Omaha singlet with Aamos on the front!

Hope you figure out what's wrong, Doug.

Kevin, that run looks like fun, it'd be super to see LaT, but getting to Sommerville is a drag .....any tips re T and bus rtes?

happy Thursdays to you!

grins,

A

Hiya Tammy!  Do you have a good book on CD for the car?  Music??

Anyone read the short stories by Jamie Quatro, the writer featured in RW a few months ago?

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Kevin, that run looks like fun, it'd be super to see LaT, but getting to Sommerville is a drag .....any tips re T and bus rtes?

Oh, were you planning on being in town that weekend? 

I think that we could be able to work out some transport for you (and DanL) if interested.

mrrun

we'll provide some transportation from Brookline - can fit 2 in our car.

here's a pic that stumpy found from 2007 -

Good morning good people. Ahhh - how we've fallen into the comfortable routine of looking for Jay's posts first thing in the morning. Looks like you're going to have to start getting up a little earlier in the morning, Twocat

Sorry about your sore hip Roch. This getting old thing ain't for sissies. Every time I get out for a run and nothing hurts, I wonder how I'm going to have to pay for it the next day. Hope it turns out to be nothing serious.

Hotel treadmills are enough to zap the energy out of any runner Kevin. You'll get your mojo back.

You're a good mother, Tammy. Payback for having all of that awesome free coaching

Hi Aamos!  Hi Marj! Nice picture!

6 miles this morning in a really nice 31° and no wind. And no frozen locusts (see Twocat's post if you want whining about weather). I'm discovering some new running routes around our house. There's a nice blacktop trail not too far away. But it's right next to a pretty busy street. It's hard to feel like you're out in nature when the cars are zipping by you at 45 mph.

Anyone like college basketball? Best weekend of the year coming up! Gotta get runs and workouts in early so I can park my behind on the couch to watch all of the games from now until Sunday. GO BUCKY!!

Tammy -That's a lot of driving and sitting.  You're a good mom!

Frozen locusts?  Wonder if they taste like deep fried locusts - not that I've ever tried them.

I wore my long running tights this a.m. in empathy for all of you still suffering through cold temps.  Okay - I was chilly is the real reason, which is kind of ridiculous since I spent the entire night suffering through many bouts of night sweats.  They always get worse as my training intensifies.  I got my best sleep between 2:45 and 5:00 (when my alarm went off).  I was not happy to hear the alarm.

It was supposed to be 6 miles with 20 min of red hill repeats after a 2-miel warm up, but at about the 15 min mark, something in my left hammy and groin area decided it wasn't happy.  I did a couple more repeats, then realized I was being stupid since it was affecting my gate and walked home.  Tomorrow is a rest day, so hopefully everything will feel better for this weekend.

Leslie
                    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

evanflein

We are watching a lot of the college basketball, or should I say my DH is, and I keep an eye on it every now and then. He's really pulling for his AZ Wildcats, who won the PAC12 last week. Now for the other games he's cheering for who he'd rather see the 'cats play later. It's always fun when he watches the game on the phone (call or texting) with his former roommate, who now is outside of Dallas.

Geez Twokat, I get up and see 21° and say "hey! It's pretty nice out!" Of course, I know it's all about perspective and everything is relative and all that, but still. And it was 29° this morning when I got up... Heading for another day around 40° I believe. Yesterday it got up to 47° which was just a few degrees shy of the record high for the day. Add in we've crossed 12 hours of daylight and things are starting to look a lot better around here!

Hope your owies are not serious, Roch and Fatozzig. Good thing you both backed off when you did. Live to run another day, right?

Greta picture, Marj! Who is that behind LaT and next to Pro? I think I recognize all the other characters.

Looking forward to another sunny sloppy run later. Off tomorrow so this is like my Friday!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

right?

Greta picture, Marj! Who is that behind LaT and next to Pro? I think I recognize all the other characters.

I think it's MaryT?  I can't remember who the guy with the white beard and shades is, though.

Henrun

That is Mary T. (Her husband, Ted T. was the photographer). The guy with the beard was a friend of someone (Craig, I think) who was pretty fast.

Did 3 in my new Adidas Supernovas with a gusty tailwind in sunny 30 degree weather at my (present) race speed.

Marj went over to nearby Newton to pick up her DG for the afternoon. DG informed her that Meb came to speak at her school today. It must really be spring despite the weather and Boston is just over 4 weeks away!!!!

Sayhey! MM#130

OK, I now have a Somerville Rec Acct.  [see below]  I see Kevin decided to wear his smarty pants today; I hope he'll wear the fancy ones at the 5K!

I'm staying less than a mile from Fenway and Northeastern, so I can get on the T and meet up with you kind folks offering me a ride.  I'll talk to DH tonight to see if he want to run or if he'd rather explore some Boston and meet us at Lir.

Thanks for the invite!  (Is this near Porter Square?  'Cuz isn't there an Emack's there?  I used to live around the corner from the original Emack's.  I had a recurrent dream that I got locked in after closing with my long handled silver spoon (special for ice cream).  )

Welcome to Somerville Recreation

Somerville Recreation to youshow details

From Somerville Recreation somervillerec.com@receipts.myrecdepartment.comhide details
                            To Amy Yanni

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I resemble that remark.  Guess I better register, since I seem to have started something.

eta:  I hadn't heard that name in ages.  Had to look it up, but yes, there are still several around--just not in Somerville.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!

I don't know why, but today's title reminds me of a song...

Where have all the degrees gone, long time passing?

Where have all the degrees gone, long time ago?

Or, something like that...

Anyway...just 7 miles, tonight, in 57:47.  The wind was back...hey--maybe that's where all the degrees went...yep...the answer my friend, is blowin' in the wind..the answer is blowin' in the wind.  Sorry...completely different song.

Okay--that's it--gotta go.  See ya!