Masters Running

Mike E's Presidential Physical Fitness Award...a touching story...but kind of long... (Read 38 times)

Mike, loved your story and your perseverance!  You earned that patch many times over, then and now.

We had a similar program in Canada, that must have been a copy of the American one.  It was called "Participaction" or some thing like that.  IT was also a mandatory gym class thing.  I started it in grade 5 maybe? and being overweight and lazy at the time, I couldn't even get the bronze patch, but received a little "thanks for coming out" pin.  It made me mad, getting a bronze patch was not that hard, almost every other kid had at least that.  So the next year, I got my bronze patch.  Then two years after that (grade 8), (I had started playing sports in the meantime), I managed to get the Gold patch, and was so proud.  But I'll never forget the shame of the first year, realizing just how out of shape I was compared to the other kids.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."