Masters Running

Old Fashioned Days 5K RR and Huge PR? (Read 201 times)

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Old Fashioned Days – 5K Ideal race conditions this Memorial Day Weekend. I did not pre-register for this race, so when I got there early to sign up I missed out on getting a t-shirt. So, now my collection is missing a year. This is my 4th year of running this race. It is a hilly, challenging out and back course. My goals: 1. Get a PR of 28:00 – previous PR is 28:45 2. Get under 28:00 - doubtful 3. Get under 27:00 and have a shot for 1st – double doubtful So the race is on. I go out fast and start worrying if I’ll be able to hold on and not have to walk some on the hills as I’ve done every other stinkin’ year. The first hill hits ½ way into the first mile and I’m feeling pretty strong. 1st mile – 8:32 – Holy Crap where did that come from? Now it is a bit early to start getting excited, but the calculations are dancin’ in my head. Another large hill to get us to the turn around point and then wee, wee, wee wee, all the way down . . . 2nd mile – 8:50. hmmmmmmmm Now with just a little more than a mile to go I’m chanting “no walking, no walking”. Just keep going you are actually RACING this time and have a shot at this. One more hill to get up before we turn the corner and head back to the track. Mile 3 – 8:53. Pour it on now; get up that little –yet steep hill for the final dash to the finish. Finish time – 27:06!!!! Blew my PR right out of the water. Called Mr. Hopeful to give him the low down as I exonerated him from attending. We met for a good breakfast down the road, and I got back just in time for the award ceremony. Took 3rd in my AG. I thought I had 2nd for sure. I think all the fast runners that normally race across the bridge in the next town stayed closer to home to save on fuel. Darn them!! Fashion report: Dark pink running skirt, white short sleeve shirt, pink cap and Mizuno shoes. Thanks for reading!! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Congratulations hopeful, on a HUGE PR!!! And a nice 3rd place AG!
      Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

King of PhotoShop

Very well done! (What color are those Mizuno's?) Spareribs
        evanflein

Wow Mary! Over a minute and a half off your 5k PR! That's awesome! Who needs a stinkin' t-shirt when you get that result! I like hearing about the thoughts that go thru runners' heads... (Holy crap...!) Sounds like my head... Congratulations on an excellent run.
          HermosaBoy

Great race!!! Big grin

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

pfriese

Wow, what a great race. An amazing performance and huge PR. AG award is nice, too. Paul
                Fabulous Mary! Congratulations on the PR----that's a big chunk of time to fall off of a 5k and I loved how you looked at your splits and said Race on! Karin/CNYrunner
                SteveP

Smokin'!!! Sweet race and RR Mary!!! Love the "No walking" mantra. Thanks for the RR

SteveP

Oh wow! This is just so exciting! You are a racer with hardware! Nice, nice job.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

wildchild

Carolyn

Cool! Well done on the PR and AG award. What did you win?

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Hopeful Mary! EXCELLENT! I loved how you ran this race. You are strong physically and mentally. Nice outfit, too! How was breakfast? Congratulations on 3rd in your AG. (maybe they could find you a tee shirt for that?)
                        LaVita
                        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Congratulations, Mary! How neat that you are actually "racing" now! I'm not to that point ... yet!

The Jogger

Mary, yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa That was a fast report for a fast race. You did excellent, what a time and it was a hilly course, wow. Hope you enjoyed brekkie. You are a diamond, well done on your PR. Roy
                              I AM NOT SURPRISED AT ALL! You have been running so well lately, logging the miles, this just shows you how much fitter, stronger you have become. Big congratulations!!......and not that I'm competitive at all, but that beats my old 5K time trial...so I need to find a 5K to enter soon.....to see if I am going to be eating your dust from now on. Wink

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I agree with Enke.......you have worked hard and put in some good miles. This is not really that surprising. It just showed up at a great time.. Congratulations. This is just a super report and I am happy for you. Joey
                                Vista