Masters Running

Wednesday, 2.24.16 (Read 31 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

This was in my NYTimes synopsis this morning: 

Feb. 29 appears on the calendar this month, as this is a leap year. That got us wondering: How did we end up with this calendar and its periodic recalibrations?
    While China and other countries recently celebrated Lunar New Year, and Iran is preparing for Nowruz on the first day of spring, most of the Western world abides by the Gregorian calendar.
    Pope Gregory XIII issued a papal bull, or proclamation, outlining the new calendar on this day in 1582. It refined the Julian calendar that was in use at the time by synchronizing it more precisely with the Earth’s rotation around the sun.
    While the Gregorian calendar took the pope’s name, its adoption was heavily influenced by Christopher Clavius, a German priest and astronomer, and Aloysius Lilius, an Italian doctor.
    Like the Julian calendar, it ensured that every year divisible by four would be a leap year. But it added an exception: Years ending in two zeros would be a leap year only if divisible by 400.
    This more sparing use of leap years lets the calendar resolve a discrepancy with the solar year in the Julian calendar. (That explains why Eastern Orthodox churches, which still observe the Julian calendar, celebrate Christmas in early January.)
    Britain, along with its American colonies, adopted the Gregorian calendar in 1752. Russia waited until 1918.
    Even with the elaborate system of leap years, the calendar will still require another tweak. A day will need to be dropped in about 3,000 years.

I learn something every day. Unfortunately, I often forget it by the next day.

I slept in a bit today, and then had BWB (breakfast with the boss) before heading to the office. It'll be a busy day, followed by another evening meeting.

Have a greta Wednesday.

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Well ok then - that explains everything you ever wanted to know about leap year and the Gregorian calendar! I don't know about the rest of you folks, but I'm going to try and not worry about that dropped day in 3,000 years.  Hope you had a good BWB Jay, and if he was picking up the tab that you ordered the truck driver special

Happy belated birthday Leslie!

Slo - are you coming alone to the Cellcom or bringing your wonderful DW and the rest of the gang?

Glad you're back running, Tselbs. How is your vision now that it's been a couple of weeks?

Hi Mike!

Watch those blueberries on the carpet, ok Tet?

4.5 miles this morning with one of my running friends from the Y. A comfortable 31° but a nice 15 mph breeze out of the NW kept us focused.

Not sure if I told you but I took a new job as a "lunch lady" at one of the local elementary schools. Love being with the kids - it's like having a room full of Wills, Bens And Nicholas' for lunch every day. My DS#1 and 2 tease me that I'm going to become the normal standard, complete with hair net and orthopedic shoes! All I know is that my salary is a lot higher than it was at the Y, and I still pick up a shift or two there so I can keep my free membership. Anyway, Meb came to an assembly yesterday to get the kids pumped up about a very popular 10k that's held every June here. He was so positive and motivating - the kids just loved him!

Happy hump day everyone.

Slo

Interesting...Thanks for including that Jay.

8 miles and a quarter this blustery morning. Watching dried leaves blow past me this morning should have been an indicator of what I would be facing for the 2nd half of my run.

PB&J...While this simple sandwich may not be the ultimate in comfort foods it comes damn close. Especially in terms of prep time. I've been doing some experimentation lately trying to devise a better PB&J. There are so many aspects to work with. Types of bread; white, wheat, sour, flat. Flavors of jelly and preserves; grape, blackberry, strawberry, apricot... But then when you consider the additional additive like cinnamon or honey or raw oats or toasted oats or pickles...yes pickles now you no longer have the standard PB&J.

Some of my favorite additions to date are; Crushed Pineapple, Ruffle Potato Chips, Toasted Oats with Honey and this morning I discovered Pretzel Thins. These are basically flat pretzels. The crunch, the addition of salt...Mmmmmm yummy. I have one wrapped in wax paper cut diagonally for an afternoon snack. It's important to cut a PB&J in half. I don't know why but it makes them taste even better.

Mike I am running well but it's relative. I running well compared to a year ago but no where close to my fitness level 4 years ago. The last three years have been pretty lack luster and I've barely averaged 20 miles per week. Probably less. It feels good to have some mojo back. I don't have big expectations for Green Bay but my training has been spot on.

Slo

Slo - are you coming alone to the Cellcom or bringing your wonderful DW and the rest of the gang?

That's a good question. I'm hoping DW decides to come. Maybe it will keep my mug off of facebook.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Mmm.  PB and pickle.  haven't had one of those in a LONG time.  But only sweet pickles--dills are just wrong.  Don't forget bacon.  Of course, we're sort of getting out of the actuall PB&J range here.

Jlynne--our cross the street neighbor was a lucnh lady at our middle school for a long time.  She knows a couple of generations of kids in town.  Have fun!  https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=web&cd=6&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwinhpqi2ZDLAhXCeD4KHdlJBooQtwIIQzAF&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DvH8jAjtvc10&usg=AFQjCNGqOxRo5R6_SdPXkVxqBpKTNAjueA

Another TM run this morning in NJ.  Not much time yet again, so only 2.25 miles, but I made it feel pretty good by starting at 5 mph and upping 0.5 mph every 1/4 mile all the way up to 7.5 mph.  Then back down by 1 mph and cooldown.  Is that a ladder?  Anyway, I felt like I had accomplished something.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Interesting Jay.  About leap year.  Also about BWTB.  I wouldn't like that.

Speaking of which, we have another of those touchy feely things this am at work--what color are you?  None of your business!  What does that have to do with what you pay me to do?  Managers, these exercises just reek.

But I was in a very lovely mood this morning--6 easy miles after 6 on the bridge at sunset last night.

I LOVE those pretzel thins thingeys--will have to try in a PB&J.  I like to use interesting jelly, like hot pepper jelly.

Lunch Lady!!  I love it!  I want to come see you in action -- maybe I can get in Friday before school closes.

GREEN BAY folks--who wants to run the 5K with me?  I haven't signed up yet.  Waiting for company!!

What's wrong with a dill on PB&J?  Haven't tried it, but would think the sour and sweet would be good.

Ever do PBC&J ?  (add a shmear of cream cheese.)

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

''Even with the elaborate system of leap years, the calendar will still require another tweak. A day will need to be dropped in about 3,000 years''

.....so is that 2-24-5016??...........need to make a note of this, I'll never remember it.......

============

...60-min trekking poles,

snow moving in this afternoon

.................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Ever do PBC&J ?  (add a shmear of cream cheese.)

Geez...now you really opened a can of worms. All those premix flavors of spreadable philly cream cheese.

Shmear, I like that.

Mike E

MM #5615

NOOOOO!  Do NOT mess with the PB&J!  Sure--experiment with different breads, flavors of jelly, creamy or crunchy peanut butter--but that's it!  I do not have strong opinions on many things and I am very tolerant of most life styles and customs--but I draw the line when it comes to the PB&J.

Okay--I am going back to work, now--but I will be checking back in often and I'd better not see any more talk of altering the PB&J.

Thank you.

TammyinGP

This would be a good time for PBJ to pop in with his opinion.

ran at the highschool track while David was staying after school to work on his American Enterprise Project with his two partners. They have a 15 page report due on Monday and have been putting in many hours perfecting it. It's akin to grant writing in some respects in how carefully it needs to be constructed, organized, etc.  This is the project they are presenting at the State competition in Portland in April and then to Nationals in Atlanta in June (should they advance).  Saturday he has "brain bowl" at Southern Oregon University all day, then right from that he's meeting with his advisor and two partners on his AEP project to continuing working on the report and finish it up. He estimates they'll be working through the night. Pulling his first all-nighter. oy.  

back to my running - it was a pretty slow "track" workout. a term I use loosely because it wasn't speedy in the least. and only 2.5 miles at that. I'll run the trails after work today also.

Tammy

Sayhey! MM#130

Mike E--Almond butter, cashew butter, sunflower butter!!!!!

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

New skirt in town

Man, this jet lag is killing me.  I know this garners me little sympathy, but I've had such difficulty since returning from Hawaii on Sunday.  I've been forcing myself to get up and run in the morning to reset my internal clock, but I've been slow and sluggish...AND, as fatigued as I seem to be I can't fall asleep well at night! This, too, shall pass, I know.

Pretzel thins on PB sandwich!  Now I'm jonesing for this on the immediate.  Do you do it with jelly, too?  I think that sounds like the perfect combination of salt and sweet and umami. (It's science: https://www.deepdyve.com/lp/elsevier/isolation-and-identification-of-two-novel-umami-and-umami-enhancing-rqcKcQIinn)

--Robin

NO  MO MELANOMA! Help me run 26.2 miles and raise $5000 for the Melanoma Foundation of NE.  Visit this page to learn more:  http://tinyurl.com/NO-MO-MELANOMA

For whatever reason, we only had PB sandwiches growing up.  So when I was a young adult and people starting talking about PBJ, I just didn't understand the appeal and they didn't do anything for me.   I think now I get it.

My BF growing up - we would experiment with grilled cheese - add cooked bacon, onions....hmmmm yummy!

My ride home last night went well.  Gosh, this morning, legs were kind of tired and didn't run.  I got 'chicked' by two bikers this morning.  I have a long way to go to get strong on the bike.  Oh, and my first verbal attack by a man in a car - yelling at me as I hesitated to cross the street on my bike - long story but MBE told him where to go.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

So let me get this straight, Enke is with MBE and another man verbally attacks her?  Not a smart move in my book.

PBJ - When I was a kid, one evening my mom had to go to some church event so my dad was in charge of dinner.  I don't know why my brother wasn't there, but it was just Dad and me.  He introduced me to peanut butter, grape jelly, and bologna sandwiches (Oscar Meyer).  I LOVED them.  Later, Doritos came out with taco flavored Doritos, and those were added to the sandwich.  Gave me the breath from hell, but YUM!

And now I'm going to have to try the whole cream cheese thing, because I am a cream cheese fanatic.

Very interesting about the calendar.  3,000 years from now, huh?  I need to calendar that . . .

5 feel-good miles this a.m. 

And thanks for all the birthday wishes.  They were wonderful!  And then my nephew called me last night to wish  me a happy bday and we ended up talking for about 45 minutes.  He's grown into quite the young man despite all the troubles of his youth.  I'm very proud of him.

Okay - Back to work ~~

Leslie
                              Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

mrrun

I grew up eating pb&j but now only pb

we're stuck on a delayed plane 1.5 hours which is being fixed with duct tape.  They hit birds on the way down