Masters Running

Friday's Daily, 11.7.14 (Read 30 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Aamos, I thought the answer to your quiz yesterday was that each word contained at least 2 each of 2 different letters. Creative, but wrong, eh?

Twocat, you sure found an interesting way to get to your race this weekend. I hope your luggage finds you.

I woke up early this morning, and so was out the door by 3:50 for 7.3 RW miles in 45F temps, with a noticeable breeze and a steady drizzle. I felt sluggish, but kept pushing anyway and had a decent workout. After stretching and showering, I started the laundry, did a bit of house cleaning, and then headed to our favorite dive for a solo breakfast on the way to the office. I sure know how to have fun when DW's away, don't I?

Today, I'm picking up banners, bibs and cones for Sunday's race, and printing the sheets for tomorrow's packet pick-up. I'm also still answering emails from runners with questions about the race, and from people looking for a last-minute entry (sorry, but that isn't going to happen).

Good luck to all of this weekend's racers (and their luggage...):

11/08 wildchild - Moab trail marathon, Moab, UT

11/08 tetsujin - First Call Veteran's DAy Marathon (Bothell, WA) - thong

11/09 milktruck - Seacoast Half, Portsmouth, NH

11/09 Twocat - Savannah Marathon, Savannah, GA

Have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

BlazinCajun

Been missing for several weeks but I'm back. Have some catching up to do. Have some speed work later today.

Voting is important.

Have a friend who is a veteran and is very patriotic. He has a friend who ran for office in a local election. My friend and his wife had some unscheduled family events on the day of the election and were not able to vote. His friend lost by two votes - needles to say he told me that he could never look his friend in the eye and tell him the truth.

Good to be back. Andrew

Andrew
      ------------------
      God, my Lord, is my strength;
      he makes my feet swift as those of hinds
      and enables me to go upon the heights.
      Hb 3:19

Slo

Slight chill in the air this morning. Had to break out the tights.

A very nice easy run on moon lit streets. Good for 6.5 miles.

Keep up the good work Jay...The finish line is in sight!  My turn in a few weeks. I will be out to do the final measurements on the course tomorrow morning.

Sayhey! MM#130

Well Jay, I dunno, w/o DW there, did you indulge in something sorta off the regular diet plan at the local dive??  Hope all goes well for the race.  Gus was thrilled to learn you actually looked him up; as you know, racewalking is not followed by the masses!

Welcome back Blazin'!  Good to see you again.

Excuse to go shopping, twocat.  Say, why not come on down anyway, once you've run Savannah?  We have an airport right here in town.  You could do a double!

Weather looking good for Sunday, really cooler than normal, cloudy, occasional rain (that's ok, better that than too hot!)    Getting excited; it's been a month since I've run a marathon.  Having run half marathons the past two weekends, I am looking forward to running at a more leisurely pace.

Certainly did that this am:  Ran over to Lakes Park (what a moon!)  and saw the Farmers Market setting up and the sun rising.  I was really gawking, rolling along at 10 minute miles for the first half of the 6.5 mile run.   Picked it up just a bit to finish at 9:37 pace overall.  Last night's Speedster run under the full, HUGE moon was special.  Two miles warm up beforehand, then headed out for 3 with the group to the river.  On the way back, fell into step with a woman who is an asst principal and mom to a 4 year old.  We just ran together, not talking, enjoying the night, the moon, running under the streetlights (which always makes me feel like a kid breaking the rules) and the cadence of our feet on the pavement.  Reminded me of the Henry Thoreau quote:

“I have never found a companion that was so companionable as solitude.”

Happy Weekend and enjoy Friday.  I am looking forward to a lunch date with a friend

grins,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Excuse to go shopping, twocat.  Say, why not come on down anyway, once you've run Savannah?  We have an airport right here in town.  You could do a double!

Weather looking good for Sunday, really cooler than normal, cloudy, occasional rain (that's ok, better that than too hot!)    Getting excited; it's been a month since I've run a marathon.  Having run half marathons the past two weekends, I am looking forward to running at a more leisurely pace.

Happy Weekend and enjoy Friday.  I am looking forward to a lunch date with a friend

grins,

A

Just in case you've forgotten that we're hanging out with a group that has a, shall we say, different mind set than the normal run of folks?

Happy marathon, Amy, TC and anyone else I'm missing.  And good luck with your half, Jay.  Sorry to miss it, although I suppose that based on the above, it should have been on my schedule as a training run.

unscheduled slug day for me, as the Philly airport curse struck once again and got home almost 3 hours late.  I shall use what looks like excellent weather to make up for it over the weekend.  10 day forecast for Richmond is 29 overnight into Saturday, with highs in low 40s.  Sounds like IRC, but I think I may need to get a hold of some starting line disposable warm clothes.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Just got back from a short 4-miler at 10:00 pace. It was such a beautiful-looking day that I couldn't let it go by, but cold & windy is still cold & windy no matter how nice the sky looks! I've noticed recently that I have trouble now running alone from the motivation standpoint. Like most of us here, I ran mostly solo in the years when I was working, but since retiring I've become part of a large,, loose group of runners and am now used to having someone to chat with to help pass the time. Me as a "social animal?" Hmmm....

Before my run, I helped pack my DW off for a four-day trip to Asheville, NC where she'll meet up with a couple of old girlfriends to spend the weekend touring the Biltmore and other local activities. For some reason she seemed concerned that I wouldn't be able to find things to do while she's gone. Au contraire! It's a bit of a vacation for both of us (now which of my favorite action movies will i watch tonight with the volume turned way up?). 

I hope to run at least once over the weekend if the weather cooperates (which doesn't look likely). How about you?

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Sayhey! MM#130

Before my run, I helped pack my DW off for a four-day trip to Asheville, NC where she'll meet up with a couple of old girlfriends to spend the weekend touring the Biltmore and other local activities. For some reason she seemed concerned that I wouldn't be able to find things to do while she's gone. Au contraire! It's a bit of a vacation for both of us (now which of my favorite action movies will i watch tonight with the volume turned way up?). 

This is so exactly what DH does when I'm away.  With pizza.  The reason we get concerned is b/c of how y'all stand in front of the fridge asking: "Honey, where's the _________?"   and the sought-after item is usually fairly observable, albeit one might have to move another item or two to remove it.

If she wants to go back, there's a marathon there (at the Biltmore) mid March.

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Getting sort of used to the altitude. Had a good hilly run (54 min) yesterday from my new office on a route that was familiar, but it feels so different to be here now. 40 min today with some pick ups.

Did a late sign up for the Longmont Turkey Trot 10K (race is tomorrow)--this race always used to be about the 15th or 20th, but they've bumped it up.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

WARNING: FUTURE MM TWO CAT
                    Be careful of amy’s good intentions
                    For two years, I resisted joining up with some crazy local runners who were so fixated on running marathons that they actually formed a club for them.  Then, after a Seattle Ghost/Seattle Marathon double over Thanksgiving weekend in 2005, Amy grabbed me by the arm and dragged me over to their post-mary celebration to get me signed up too.  I’ve been grateful ever since.

ps - divechief (now MM#505) was on her other arm.

pps Amy - I hope you bewitch 2-cat too.

Where's your Sunday marathon?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

King of PhotoShop

Early conference call interfered with run, so I went out at 9:30 and ran 5.5 at ten minutes per mile. Now off to play bridge.

Was glad to see Jay saw the word puzzle the way I did.  We were just lazy I guess.   Spareribs

(P.S., there is a well-known age group runner in the DFW area who has been my friend for many years. Referring back to my heart surgery in 2008, he has called me "Spare Parts" ever since.  I just love that nickname!)

Marathon Maniac #957

Amy - which marathon are you running this weekend?  I know you said it was close to home, and those are always nice - get to sleep in your own bed, no worries about logistics in a strange place, etc.  Sounds like good weather for it, as long as the rain is light.

One of the colleges DS applied to is University of Dayton.  It wasn't his first choice, being so close, and he would like to get away from home a bit, but it's a good school and they sent him an email invitation to apply for free, so why not?  Anyway, he and I are going on a tour there Sunday.  He's never really seen the place, might be surprised.

15 miles for me today in 37-39 degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dave59

No running as house stuff still dominates. I wasn't going to post today but then I saw this article and it made me think of the friendly grammar police who show up here from time to time.

http://www.alternet.org/culture/10-grammar-mistakes-people-love-correct-arent-actually-wrong?page=0%2C3&paging=off&current_page=1#bookmark

janie b good

3.32 t'mill miles.  also spent 2hrs trying to figure out my new healthcare insurance, but who wants to hear about that... not me!

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Luggage arrived! 

No I am not a future MM! I do not care how close a Saturday and Sunday marathon are to each other!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Dave, I enjoyed your cartoon the other day.  Now to check out the grammar link.

My guess was same as Jays about the words, the all had multiple same letters.

Aamos!  Have a blast at your marathon close to home!

Holly, congrats to your daughter.  I loved loved loved playing basketball in school.  It seemed like a sport that used every single muscle in your body.

I ran <3 miles this morning.  Do you ever notice when your fingers shift on the keyboard, miles becomes nuke?  That's how my run went.  Stupid knee got very angry with me and I had to quit early, then walking hurt too in the morning.  Time to rest it (yet again) for another week before starting back up again.  I am going to go crazy if I can't run.....I will be fat and crazy!!!  Noooooo!

On a positive note, the first two nukes were with the full moon peeking out behind some clouds, and then "Harvest Moon" by Neil Young came on my iPOD.  I was blissed out!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."