Masters Running

Thursday's daily, 12.19.13 (Read 34 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

I'm glad your RP is keeping you motivated, Ribs, and I hope the "lunch & learn" went well, even if you didn't have to fly to get to it.

Nice 5er on the TM, Dave, including keeping going while you took the phone call. I would have left the phone upstairs...

Hi Tammy! Thanks for stopping by - please do it more often, whether you're running or not.

Hi Mike. Thank you for checking in too.

I hope your post-run breakfast gathering went well, Tselbes.

Holly you squeeze a lot of quantity into your life, and it seems to me that it is all quality.

Starr's in the house! Hooray! Good to hear from you, Starr. I'm sorry about your foot and the lack of running, but I'm glad the new house is giving you a bit of a workout. Congrats to you and DH for your 18 months and 30 days! One day at a time...

So sorry about the travel travails, Twocat. But I'm glad you and DH got home safely - that is what really matters.

Last night's meeting was ridiculously long. I finally got to give my brief presentation (and get the approvals I was seeking) and get out of there a little after 10. Needless to say, I didn't get to bed till 'way late (for me), and cruised on a dream right past 4am. I had psyched for a workout this morning, but knew it was doomed when I crawled into bed last night. So just some stretching and core work this morning, and a very busy day ahead - but no meeting tonight!!

Have a greta Thursday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

What started as a reluctant trip to the gym ended up going ok after all.  TM warm-up and some weights.  Next couple weeks are going to be tough for working out so I decided now is not a good time to wimp out and take a day off.

Cindy's sister works at Mt. Vernon and we are going there the day after Christmas for dinner.  Cindy's parents will be there, and the newlyweds from Florida will be there with the grandkid.  Cindy and I are going to stay in the area for a few days and take the grandkid so my daughter and son-in-law can have a mini-belated-honeymoon.  (If I already said all that in an earlier post, please excuse my old man brain for repeating it.)

This is the 4th day in a row of perfect cool running weather.  54° this morning.  So I got up a little earlier than normal and ran "long" (for me anyway).  9 miles in 1:25 - nice and easy.  Our temps are supposed to go up tomorrow morning so this was a smart move today.  My thighs are telling me I ran long.

Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

King of PhotoShop

Good job Bill. You'll be back before you know it.

I had to smile at Jay's "Starr's in the house."  Reminded me of "Starr's in the house tonight. Everybody's gonna have a good time. And you're gonna lose your mind..."  Party Rock Anthem.

3.5 recovery this morning, felt okay.  Two light days of running tomorrow and Saturday and I'll be back at 40 for the week. Long run Sunday I hope. Spareribs

Mariposai

Byll, good to see you running long again!

Star came to say hi to us yesterday, how good is that!

Ribs, it is good to see you have a short commute to work yesterday.

Last night I had one of those sproinky runs that made you want to run forever. 8 miles under a crispy and starry night.

This morning I started my day with some upper body strength XT.

It will be sunny and warm here  (about 30).

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

Jay - those evening meetings would really take it out of me - I think you deserve a little rest afterward.

Dave - enjoy your Annabelle time!

Breger - love seeing you here!

Ribs and Mariposai - hiyah!

It was a brisk (if not balmy) 36 degrees this morning, which felt rather nice in spite of the wind.  Looks like we will have a warm-up with highs in the 50's on Friday and Saturday with rain, so the snow and ice should be washed away for a bit.  Hopefully will be able to get a LR in on the bike path.

Another trip the dentist this afternoon to get my new crown, then home to scoop up DS to see the orthodontist and get a timeline for his incoming wisdom teeth.

5.5 miles for me this morning.

Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Dontchya just love it that we get to go to the dentist nowadays instead of George Washington’s?
                Dontchya just love it when the kids hesitantly wonder if it would be okay to drop the GS/GD off for a day or more?
                Dontchya just love it when the moon’s out for a morning or evening run?
                I wonder if there’s a grandparents forum where their running is the OT part.
                Happy 70th birthday selbs.

Contrary to my expectations, trepidations, fears and concerns as mine approached last May, it doesn't get much better.

ps - it's not that easy to develop new likes in these later years but did I mention that, over my objection as I don’t like cats that much, we kept a surprise kitten for GS overnight and the little guy slept on my shoulder pawing and licking my ear?  Did I mention how much I like cats now? 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy 70th birthday selbs.

Tet - thanks for reminding us.   Happy Birthday Tom!

ps - I;m glad you like cats now....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

It was great to hear from starr yesterday.

This morning, it was in the mid 20s and there was just a light wind.  I got in 4 miles at a 10:56 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

sunkid

Good afternoon, all!

It's nice to hear that there are other cat people on here, Tet! We almost ended up with a second one when we found what looked like a stray around our house. Alas, the evil neighbor from down the street came looking for him later that day and we had to give him up. Wonder why he was so very skinny, flea ridden, and haggard looking... Sad

Nice running, everyone. I wish I could report the same, but unfortunately, I aggravated my hamstring again halfway through the third of the planned six 800s I was running. Felt perfectly fine for the first couple but started feeling a little twitching about 200m into the third. Tried to "work with it" but to no avail, I felt the now much too familiar pull again (third time this year, never had issues with the hamstring before, really), and immediately stopped. It was quite a bit less hurtful than last time, but I couldn't quite run it off either. Decided to call it a day and jog/walk back to work... here is hoping that I can recover somewhat before the half next week Sunday.

Looks like we'll have some snow when we drive up to the mountains on Saturday. It's been windy and cool but not very rainy here at the coast, however, the mountains in the east are all clouded up and snow fall was forecast down to 3000 ft tonight.

I kept saying I would catch up and now seems like the time to do it.  I am literally just watching numbers appear on a computer screen.

coastwalker you seem to have more meetings than anybody I know.  I would be out of my mind going to all of them that you go to in the evenings.

Dave59 the only real thing that counts is the person doing the cooking up at Mt. Vernon a good cook?

breger1 I so wish we could have "cool" weather like that in the near future!  Enjoy and weep for those of us in the mid-20's.

Spareribs good luck with the runs especially since you have that pill that seemed to derail is no longer a factor.

Mariposai nice star lit run under what was a nearly full moon I imagine.

Holly S. good luck at the dentist!

tetsujin209 as they say better than the alternative.  Cats are great!  Little care needed and yet nice to scratch.

tselbs congratulations on making it out the door in the mid-20s.  That is pretty much about where I start heading for a TM.

sunkid good luck with the hamstring.  I hope it heals up fast.

StarrRuns a house with three levels can provide a LOT of exercise!  Congratulations on the 18 months being sober!  Great accomplishment.  Best wishes to your DH as he tries to match your current record.

TammyinGP I hope you find your running mojo again.  But if not, I hope you find something else you like even more!

Has anybody else found the new posting window in RA works really, really badly on an Android cell phone?  It is a total disaster in my case.  What else is there to report here . . . hmm . . . no running.  Post marathon I decided to give my legs a full week off from running and the whole body at least 4 days.  Tomorrow is 6 so I will likely get on the elliptical for a start.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Yeah for kitty-love!!!

4.5 miles of slippery ups and downs - I thought that the local track would have been plowed, but noooooo. So I made a route through campus - the first loop was hard (really hard), so I did another, and then another, and then another, and then one more to make 5 loops. All-in-all a very fun run!

Happy Trails!

Kirsten

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  I had to drop in and say happy birthday to Tom.  Happy birthday, Tom!

By the way...dontchya just love tet?

Okay--gotta go!

Mariposai

Hello everybody!  I had to drop in and say happy birthday to Tom.  Happy birthday, Tom!

By the way...dontchya just love tet?

Happy Birthday Tom

and yes!!! Tet is just one of the kind and...

btw...the whole posie family adores him!!!

but we never thought he would fall in love with a kitty...nope...never...

5 miles after work before going shopping for ingredients for our office party tomorrow. I volunteered to cook the pot roast and to make the mashed potatoes and gravy because the first idea was to order a fried chicken meal form KFC...blehhhh. This will mean for my wings being up at an insane hour to cook most everything before I go to work at 8am, but this is the season to give right? Tomorrow I am giving my time to my co-workers Smile.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

evanflein

A cat will win over just about anyone given the opportunity! I tell DH that my goal in retirement is to foster a bunch of kittens and be the crazy cat lady who runs marathons. I think Fatozzig would understand. DH isn't thrilled. 

I just love La Tortuga's outlook. Nice run, young lady! Who needs a cleared track??

Happy Birthday, Tselbs! Hope you had a good one!

Hi Starr! You are doing great, and nice of your house to offer a fitness routine for you! 3 stories... that could be a lotta stairs!

Nancy, you are a gem. My approach would be to let them get KFC (I agree, bleh), and I'd go do something else. Not very festive, I know. I sure hope they appreciate you!!

Got home late tonight, but I was not going to forego a run! So, even though it's only about zero outside and the roads are plowed, I hopped on the treadmill for 8.4 miles progressive pace style, starting at 8:50, ending at 8:13, with the last .4 at 8:34. Felt good throughout and went through a few podcasts I needed to clear out. This weekend should be nice even with the forecast snow. Too much time on the treadmill lately!!