Masters Running

Fall Friday, 9.21.12 (Read 368 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' all.

Lots of tricky pronunciations explained yesterday - I'm sure there are many more out there. Ribs, thanks for the correction on Leominster - there's a reason I don't live in MA!

Welcome back, Mtnchk1!

I agree about there being mo excuse for having less than adequate water/whatever at aid stations in any race. It is just not a good situation, no matter how you look at it.

My right hip was cranky most of the day yesterday, so I stayed in this morning and did some core exercises instead of going for an early workout. One of the exercises I do are planks, which are always interesting when the cat is around - she likes to walk over and under me, as if she's checking to make sure I'm keeping my body straight. And, of course, she has to tickle my nose with her tail...

Big news in these parts; LL Bean is opening a new outlet store tomorrow, and it is only about 3 miles from home! Most of my wardrobe is LLB, so I'll likely be a regular. I have an LLB credit card, so with the points I get, I rarely pay more than a few bucks for anything that I buy.

I wish good luck, dry weather, tail winds, big smiles and, of course, success (however you define it) to all of this weekends racers!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

mrrun

Morning Jay and all,

No runs today, but biked past apple store with > 100 in line and lots of tv stations, and 25+ at att & verizon with only a few at sprint.  

there's a new book on women runners over 50 - Tapping the Fountain of Youth by Carol Montgomery.  Caveat: She's a friend of mine.   It's got interesting profiles of older fast women (is that legit?).  no real running advice and an easy read.  most are from the Philadelphia area, but there's a local Mary Harada, a Maine speedster.

marj

Slo

Apples are in short supply here and the prices for the seasonal varieties are ridiculous. When I read marj's opening line I had to re-read it several times...wow, people sure do love thier apples out East !

No run this morning. It was my turn to give the monthly Tool Box Talk to our contractors so that meant coming in early.

RCG

Rose Colored Glasses

Hi Jay and Marj!

Congrats on the new LLBean store.

I will look into your friend's book.

57F

Under a blanket of stars

5 miles with two of them tempo-ish.

Then arms, abs, and stretching. Great way to start the day.

Trivia Question:

Monday Night Football started in what year on this date? Which teams played? Who was the host? And who was the WINNER?

(those who know me well will realize immediately why I chose this question) 

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

Worry no more

Oh, worry no more

There's an open door for you

..rosie//..........I have a feeling ''TheBrowns'' is part of the answer........

========

gentle no-force stretching

focusing on hips

seems

to be working,,,,,,,,,I always thought you NEVER stretched an injury.

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

King of PhotoShop

I don't recall, but Dandy Don Meredith, Frank Gifford and Howard Cosell were the three I recall back in the early days.

3.3 recovery on the dirt.  What a low mileage week I'm having after Saturday's 20K, just 17 miles.  I'm racing again Sunday, a 5K.

According to a report by CNBC, what country was the United States' biggest trading partner in 2011?  Our trivia team guessed China.  Spareribs

mrrun

trivia running Q - who takes the longest vacations from running cantrowitz, lagat, or manzano - wall st journal article

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390444032404578006274010745406.html?mod=WSJ_hp_mostpop_emailed

marj

Marathon Maniac #957

Apples are in short supply here and the prices for the seasonal varieties are ridiculous. When I read marj's opening line I had to re-read it several times...wow, people sure do love thier apples out East !

Slo - you do understand that she is talking about Apple, not apple, right?  Smile

No run for me today, had to get into work early for a telephone conference.  30 minutes of core and light weights instead.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Slo

Slo - you do understand that she is talking about Apple, not apple, right?  Smile

LOL...I do, it was the reference to Att and Verizon that clued me in.

Jay, we don't have any stores in our area, but after visiting LL Bean in Freeport last week, I think they're pretty much like REI is to us (but with a much wider line of products). That is, if you can find something on sale, with kickback points, and a special discount, that lets it sell for pretty much a competitive price. REI's "clearance prices" usually take things from "ridiculous" to simply "somewhat overpriced." On the other hand, I've never regretted anything I've bought there.

Slo, the local apple crop was wiped out here as well, so on our trip to the northeast last week we bought a couple bags of  our favorites (Macs, Cortlands) to bring back.

Well, I got my LR in today in perfect running conditions, and at 11.5 miles it's my longest run in a year and a half. The HM a week from Sunday is a much tougher route, so I'm pretty sure it's going to kick my butt, but at least I feel like I'll be able to make the distance. It will undoubtedly be my first over-2-hour HM though since my first one some years ago.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Dave59

Almost a week of being more careful of what I eat and drink and I am starting to feel a little better.  Still some indigestion-like stuff going on but I did manage a run today without much trouble. 

I didn't know the game show answer yesterday, but I am waiting for the question about which popular (evening) TV show premiered 40 years ago this month.

lamerunner

Canada... is the answer, I think.

Woefully behind here but I have been trying to read the daily at least. Clawing my way back into into some sort of shape, with long runs about every other week, and thinking of signing up for OBX again, just to get back on the horse and also visit some family in the area. I will be lightly trained but that may be ok... for now. Congratulations to Erika and Holly on Equinox and Carolyn on the trail marathon in Buena Vista. Anyone heard from Karin?

I second Canada.  I was surprised when I first moved here how many products in the grocery store were from there.  And I bought a composter at Costco, and it was from Ontario.  And then there is all that wheat....canola oil....lumber....

No run for me, up early for a meeting.  A bit of rain, so weird.

My son (middle school) is playing in the band tonight at the high school football game at halftime.  I am looking forward to watching the game, such a stereotypical ALL AMERICAN thing to do!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

mrrun

Big grinBig grin

i couldn't get back earlier because i had to GASP, GASP work

I'd agree to Canada - but didn't check with my local expert

marj

King of PhotoShop

When I posted the Fredericton question, Henry jumped on it like a hungry dog to a steak.  Wouldn't you think he would get this one too. So disappointed in him.  Canada it is!  Spareribs