Masters Running

Sunday's Daily, 8.24.14 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Yesterday's site walks went fine,except for the bee sting I got on my ear. We figured we must have disturbed a ground hive in the woods at one site. Still stings a bit, but it's gradually fading.

11.2 RW miles this morning at 4:30 o'dark. I took a moderately hilly (for here) inland route, so no coastal sunrise this morning. I saw some nice farm pastures, bee keepers, and tree farms down I road I hadn't traveled before. That road also took me a bit further out of the way than I thought, so I went further than my planned 10, but still had a nice workout.

Now we're heading out for breakfast at our favorite dive with DN and her girlfriend. They're leaving from there for home, ending their 5-day visit for this year. Last night, over dinner, we talked about their visit next August, so we've already got that to look forward to.

Have a greta Sunday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Dave59

I did a "Ribs" this morning and ran 2.5 miles so I could get to 30 for the week.

Nice Hulk Holly.  I liked the comment someone made about the smallest Hulk ever.  You never think of Hulk as an ultra runner.  You are going to need to bulk up more to really play the roll.

Good job on the 11 this morning Jay.

Mariposia - Fires followed by floods?!  Sorry.  Got in 15 miles anyway I see,

Glad you survived and enjoyed the Crim, Tom2.  I thought it was a bit humid but people I've talked to said the weather was "perfect".  Guess I am too sensitive to humidity.

Tet - Hope you have a fun Tri even with the sore shoulder and accidentally riding your bike so much the day before.

Tramps

Nice racing this weekend for Dave, Tom, and the Hulk. (Did I miss anyone?)

The ol' 99% humidity again today but clouds kept the temps down and my run went okay.  18.4 miles.  Whew.

Be safe. Be kind.

shadow runner

The Shirtless Wonder

Good running this weekend everyone.

Dave: sorry for the wasp sting.  this time of year the yellow-jacket hives all start to break up.  reason they get so annoying and we get stung.

Hope all the Master's and RA runners are o.k. in SF area. Thoughts and prayers all.

I ran 4.6 miles today with buddy for my 3rd recovery or reverse taper run since last Sunday's marathon. Overall despite being beat up again at Racing the Unicorn Marathon [from rain, humidy and temps last week]  recovery is going well.  I only have some minor muscle stiffness and a little fatigue still on these short runs.

Like Tramps very humid this morning in eastern PA though temps were lower around 65F. My buddy and I kept it slow or tried to anyway.  Been training together for past 2 years so normal rhythm and pace seemed to kick in even when we try to run a slow easy.  Original plan was to run 5 miles but GI issues for him [black bean salsa last night ] we had cut the run a little short to detour to nearby port-a-potty.    But all in all a good run despite the detour - even better afterwards for the last mile.

Enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Joe Suder

Nulla camisia et nulla problematum 

..dave and tselbs are turning into RACING MACHINES/////////..........nice job guys.....

=========

...60-min bike ride..7-gears up and 7-gears down......

off to see DD1 in Nashville,

the heat index will be over 100 so we're going to walk around CentennialPark later......

......good running guys.........

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning Afternoon!

TomWhite - that is hot....

I was up several times last night to let Daisy Dog in and out.  She was having digestive troubles and left me several messes on the carpet to clean up this morning.  When I got back from my run there were new messes to clean up, with the entire family carefully stepping around them, waiting for me to come home and deal with it. 

I slept in later than I wanted to, and the sun was already coming up when I got out for my LR - not good, given the H&H.  Like Dave59, I find that sun really takes it out of me more than just H&H, and really should have set my alarm to get more of my run in before dawn.  Still, got it done, albeit with more walk breaks than I care to admit.

20 miles total.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Way to get it done Holly even if it didn't feel super! Hope Daisy feels better soon! Nice results from yesterday!

I was in synch with Jay---sort of and also covered 11.2 miles. In my case it was up in Greenfield along Green River Road---dirt road, lots of trees and yup, the Green River alongside. This was a group run and had we gone just a mile more, we would have a two state run with some in VT. Hilly, 8:15 pace, all fine. I'll run 9 later to make it 20 for the day.

Hot is right TW. The kiddo is reporting the same in MO---heat index of 106.

Hope all our Northern, CA runningahead friends are okay.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Happy Sunday afternoon.  Appears everyone is out enjoying the day.

An unofficial lake Quanapowitt half mary this morning for me. Four laps and a bit to make 13.2.  Relatively happy with it--was pretty consistent with pace just over 10 right up until the end.  a couple of 1/4 mile walks in the last couple of miles knocked that down a bit.  I think I did better on keeping hydrated, but was still down 2-3 lbs when I finished.  Left knee was talking a little, but I'm hoping that's the old shoes and that my new ones will be in shortly.   One of the small drawbacks of the lake loops is that there are no spots to slip into the woods, just in case.  One of the advantages is that I pass by the house every 3 miles as I had my proof that I had indeed done better hydrating after the third lap.

Holly--I know that several people in our house (at least one of whom will remain nameless) have VERY selective vision when it comes to pet pickup.

Nice LRs coming in already--Jay, Tramps, CNY, and Holly.  And a LBR for TW.  A walk in that heat index would be very much later-like October.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Nice going to Dave and Tom at the Crim. So glad you did it and are happy with your effort.

Good job Holly!  And in a ten-year age group too.  I am amazed you went out and did 20 today after a hot race yesterday.

The Saint and I set out to do ten today but bailed at 9.  She was struggling and I was worried for her. So glad we packed it in.

Great dinner at my son's house, but Prime Rib gave me a growler of IPA and it must have had a very high alcoholic content because I was stumbling around toward the end of the evening.  The family thought this was very funny but I didn't.  Spareribs

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I don't think the idea is to put a straw in the growler and walk around with it all night.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Mike E

MM #5615

Hello everybody!  Another good day of runs, today, I see.

I did another 21.3 miles at the nature center.  Since I "only" had to do 3 hours, I tried pushing it a little bit.  I was good for about 2:45...then the wheels started coming off.  I managed to do it in 3:03:02.

Only 4 more tough workouts to go...I hope that's enough.

Okay...that's it.  See ya!

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Prime Rib gave me a growler of IPA and it must have had a very high alcoholic content because I was stumbling around toward the end of the evening.  The family thought this was very funny but I didn't.  Spareribs

The Seattle gang will try to remember that in case your October trip works out.

I’ve been doing from one-to-five annual triathlons of all distances since 1978.  Even though today’s was a local neighborhood tri with lots of novices and I picked the shortest option (super-sprint, unlike Deezie’s Olympic International Tri also today), it was my worse ever, finishing about 400th out of 430 or so and my bike and run legs hardly improving on my pathetic ranking with the stragglers after the swim.  Fortunately, shoulder soreness was not a problem as it was soon subsumed by tiring triathlon muscles everywhere else usually used but once a year nowadays..
                          However, with none of my competition from decades past even showing up much anymore, I got a nice engraved, generic “Podium Finisher” glass for Super-sprint AG win. Though I was the only one, as far as I’m concerned I beat all the hundreds of others who used participate with me over the last 37 years and who are still lucky enough with their health that they could have showed up too. Thanks to the RD for having generic AG awards to fit any of the five-year AG groups as long as there was at least one finisher. 
                          However, as usual, most fun for my barefoot biking and running is getting the fastest OA transition time again because I don’t have to bother with changing shoes.  Also got a three-massage certificate from a local salon amongst the many post-race, random give-a-ways.  There were free massages at the finish line too that worked on a marble-sized knot under my shoulder blade.  No wonder I’m so slow. <<<(old/old)>>>
                          However, I don’t need any more massages, especially that far away to drive, but think I know a friend who does after running 100 miles up on the Cascade Crest Trail where CNY Karin’s super-ultra buddy couple won it OA last year and third place female.
                          Not that it would have anything to do with it but if the above doesn’t make that much sense, blame it on simultaneously trying to listen to the bases-loaded bottom-of-the-ninth inning Seattle Mariners baseball game with the Boston Red Sox. <<<(aamos/aamos)>>>
                          ps Tom - nice hour on the bike. My 16.7 bike leg took 1hr/10min, slower that Stumpy’s average speed riding across Iowa.

TRIATHLON DISTANCES.  
                          EVENT/. . . . .. . . SWIM. . . . . . .. ,BIKE . . . RUN
                          Super-sprint. . . . 0.25mi. . . . . . .  8-16mi . .. . 5K+/-
                          Sprint. . . . . . ..  . . 0.50mi. . . . . . .  11-16mi. . . 5K
                          Olympic. . . .. .. . .0.950mi (1/5K). 25mi. . . .. 10K
                          Half Iron (70.3). 1.2mi. . . . . . . .  56mi. . . . . 13.1mi
                          Ironman. . . . . . . 2.4 mi.. . . . . ..  112mi. . . .. 26.2mi
                          Double Iron. . . . 4.8mi. . . . . . ..  224mi. . . . .52.4mi
                          note: sprint and super-print distances variable

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

..tet//.Ironically, I plan to speed ride across Iowa next..........

n0t

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Mike E

MM #5615

Nice job, tet!  Congratulations on your AG win.  You have, obviously, worn out your competition over the years.  Most 71 year olds are just content to sit in their rocking chairs and talk about what they used to do...while you continue to do what you used to do...only a little bit slower.  I hope I'm like you when I grow up.

Hi everyone! I have not been on-line for 3 days but we are back home from camping now. GDD Addison turns 1 this week and her party was on Saturday so we went to a State Park midway to the Cities after work on Friday.

I ran my 5 mile pace run on Sat morning but the pace was not consistent at all. We intended to bike the paved trail for a few hours but then it started to rain. Today I had MrStarr take the bikes down the trail 11 miles to the parking area with the pickup. I ran 6 steady mikes before he met me with some water. After stopping I just couldn't get back in the groove but finished the 10 1/2 miles. I was too tired and hungry to get on the bike so went back for hot dogs and marshmallows over the fire before we packed up.

Now I gotta go see what everyone has been up to. See ya!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich