Masters Running

Leave town, sex change or get younger? (Read 475 times)

I ran Philly marathon this weekend - with a respectable finish time of 2:42:23.... Going over the results I see that I was crushed (again) by a 49 year old guy from Philadelphia who ran 2:32:48 - This is third year in a row this guy has beaten me (like a drum) at Philadelphia. I'm not even in the same zip code as this guy. Now, this hasn't bothered me much as I figured I only have another year and a half in the 45-49 group before I am done with this fellow. Then it dawned on me.... This guy has been stalking me... every time I move up an age group he follows. Every time I get a year older he does the same thing. Its kind of creepy. So I've checked the 40-44 AG and I finsished ahead of those youngsters.... and the entire womens field (by a few seconds). My options as I see it. 1) Leave town, find another marathon and hope this guy doesn't find me. 2) Get a sex change operation and compete a a woman in 2009. 3) Start moving down a year every year and hoping nobody notices. I've always been immature for my age so I'm leaning toward 3... Ray
    DoppleBock

Why not just get faster ?

Long dead ... But my stench lingers !

Yeah, Ray -- you're a little bit of a slacker.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Tried that in 07... Dropped from 2:45 to just under 2:42. "Bob" dropped from 2:35 to 2:32. Any other suggestions? Ray

#artbydmcbride

I like the 'get younger' option too. Let me know how you do it. Big grin You'd make an awful looking woman...cutie!

Runners run

King of PhotoShop

Ray, here is Euphoric's post on fred urie's 50+ thread over on Active: "How's this for humility? My boss is a pretty accomplished runner, placing 25/7231 in Philadelphia yesterday. I handed him lunch saying, "I made chilli for the top 25 finishers." He had no idea where he had placed and then asked if I knew his time. 2:35:35." I will ask Euphie how old the guy was. There was quite a lot of talent in that race but you're the king here. Spareribs
                hmmm.........2:42, "respectable." I'm not sure I am qualified to give advice here. {"respectable",,,,} Looks as if "Bob" is plateauing out--2:32 two years in a row. Here's an option. Spy a bit and find out where "Bob" lives or works and what his food of choice is, then be his "secret santa" or whatever for a year. A note along the lines of some anonymous person got him a membership in "doughnuts of the month club" will do. Then be sure to supply "Bob" with lots of empty calories. 1. This is much cheaper than moving or having surgery. 2. Recall Dark Horse's experience with the youthful Sgt. Bain, who showed up for the race this year fat and slow. grins, A ......still shaking head at "respectable" 2:42..................
                Masters 2000 miles
                HermosaBoy

Take him out! Dark Horse could probably help...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Tramps

hmmm.........2:42, "respectable."
                    Typo, right? 3:42 is respectable. 2:42 is Shocked Congrats Ray.

Be safe. Be kind.

HermosaBoy

Typo, right? 3:42 is respectable. 2:42 is Shocked Congrats Ray.
                      6:42 is respectable -- As long as you have the courage to toe the starting line and the will to cross the finish line, that is respectable.

Rob

Sorry, but I don't think you'd make a respectable looking female. Can you find this guy in the pack and trip him at some strategic point? Take him out like a linebacker? I have friends in low places - want us to take care of him?? As far as the "respectable finish time of 2:42:23" - Give me a break Roll eyes You can do better and you know it. Suck it up and run faster! Cool

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Tramps

6:42 is respectable -- As long as you have the courage to toe the starting line and the will to cross the finish line, that is respectable.
                          Yup; I hear ya.

Be safe. Be kind.

Take him out! Dark Horse could probably help...
                            Yes, thanks... I was thinking "sweep the leg" was option 4. - But no way I could catch this guy to do it Ray
                            wildchild

Carolyn

Ray, I checked the race results, and it looks like your nemesis is 49, and you're only 48. Therefore, next year he won't be in your same age group! So although he may still beat you, you'll both win your AGs. Hey, it's something. And beating all the women, plus all the men in the age group below yours isn't too shabby...

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

HermosaBoy

You got a problem with that? No Sensei!!! Still classic smaltz...

Rob