Masters Running

Genesys Hospital 5K - Grand Blanc, MI (Read 172 times)

Short story. My time was 26:42 and the race results show a pace of 8:36. However, my GPS showed the course to be short (3.0 miles) and my pace to be 8:54. I was 157/375 OA and 7/13 in my AG (60-64). I've done this race a number of times. It's a nice course on paved trails through the woods and over a number of wooden bridges on the hospital grounds. The race starts and ends by their impressive gym complex. Since this is a ways away from where I normally race, I didn't expect to see many, if any, people I knew. I did see two which was nice. The weather report had me a bit concerned as they were talking about a good chance of serious rain. It turned out that there was a light sprinkle on the drive to the race and during the race. The temperature was about 70 and the rain was warm so it was not unpleasant. (The rain became heavy after the race but it was ok with me at that time). I didn't plan on a fast race and figured a 9 minute pace would be fine. Shortly after starting, I checked my GPS to see a pace of 8:36 which was too fast and backed off a bit. At the mile, my pace was in the 8:40s. I wasn't trying to slow down but at the two mile mark my overall pace was in the 8:50s. I just kept plodding along, passing a few people and being passed by a few. At about two and a half miles, my overall pace was around 8:58 and I figured I should ramp up a bit to get my 9 minute goal. At the finish line, I was surprised at the overall time until I saw my Garmin said I'd only run 3 miles. Checking later, my mile splits were 8:43, 9:06, and 8:51. Part of me regretted not pushing a little more the whole race but, since I had noticed a couple of minor hamstring twinges, my common sense told me I'd done about right. There was more than the normal quantity and quality of after race food, inside, out of the rain. Even though it was not an outstanding race, I started, finished, met my time goal, and maintained my string of at least one race each calendar month. I'm glad I made the effort to be there. TomS
      Even though it was not an outstanding race, I started, finished, met my time goal, and maintained my string of at least one race each calendar month.
      Tom, Good for you. I like your goal of racing at least once per calendar month. Someday I'd like to try to get in a groove like that. Dark Horse
      I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.
      SteveP

It sounds like you ran a smart race Tom. We're glad you made the effort to race as well....Thanks for the RR.

SteveP

Sounds like a nice time Tom. I'm with DH...once a month racing...nice work.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
            You met your goals and saw people you know (somehow I think you know people at all races Wink----Great job tselbs. You used common sense and finished well. Karin
              Tom, Congrats, as you said "Even though it was not an outstanding race, I started, finished, met my time goal, and maintained my string of at least one race each calendar month." How can one not be pleased. Way to go!!! Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

King of PhotoShop

A race a month is a lot of racing, so you are in pretty good shape. Too bad this course wasn't certified. Many of the small races cannot afford the extra $$ to have someone measure and certify it, so you get a lot of those short courses. They often happen because someone measures the course with his car. Despite this, you ran a steady, strong pace. Well done. Spareribs
                DickyG

Tom... Personally, I think your time was outstanding...short course or no short course. To run a sub-9 pace and only place 7th in your AG tells me you got in with a really fast bunch...I think you did great! Congrats. DickyG
                  dg.

Tom, I'll echo what DickyG said. I have a pretty good idea of how much effort it's taken for you for the last several months, juggling taking care of your injury with your desire to keep going & not to lose what you've gained. This race shows how well you've done. Congratulations! Your long race a month string is amazing. It seems our little Michigan Hamstring Owies club is doing pretty well right now. I hope we can keep it that way. Thanks. I always enjoy your reports.
                      Nice race, Tom, and congratulations on keeping that string going!
                      Age 60 plus best times: 5k 19:00, 10k 38:35, 10m 1:05:30, HM 1:24:09, 30k 2:04:33
                      TammyinGP

I agree - you do have a fast bunch in that race! You had a very nice time though. I like the once a month racing also. That's what I try to do here. We also have a fast bunch in our area so at times it's discouraging because it is harder to place, but then I remind myself what I'm really participating in these races for - and it's for the comraderie, being around other runners, supporting my local running club, having fun and it motivates me to keep up with my training, so with that kept in perspective, then every race is a success!

Tammy

huskydon

Tom, Too bad about the shortness of the course. I assume the course is the same every year? I wonder if it could somehow be corrected for the future. Sounds like you raced well, yielding just the right amount for your hamstrings. Meeting your time goal and continuing to race once a month is awesome. Congratulations. huskydon
                          selb3

Good race Tom! See you in a couple of weeks for the nupitals. Should I bring my running stuff? Dave