Masters Running

Saturday's Daily, 11.23.13 (Read 40 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone!

Happy Belated Birthday to Super-Granny and Mr. CNY!! You, and they, have great attitudes, CNY.

Lamerunner, the Maine Coast Marathon is in the spring, and doesn't have a half (at least, I couldn't find one on their website). You may be thinking of the Mt. Desert Island Marathon (on Acadia) in October, which does have a half. Greta job on the classy awards at Manchester!

Sounds like a great party you're throwing for Daniel, Mariposai.

Nice lunch-time 10er, C-R.

"You’re a Silicon Valley pioneer before we knew what it was." I think Henry has always been a trend-setter, in that quiet way of his...

Good luck on that knee, Enke.

7.5 mostly racewalking miles at 4:30 this morning. It was 41F, and the wind was blowing up a fuss, so I was glad it wasn't colder. My back was pretty sore from some wood stacking yesterday afternoon (I always screw up my back when I stack wood), but I think some good, smooth hip rotation helped loosen it up a little. I also worked it with my foam roller when I got back, so I'm hopeful it will be fine. The newspaper delivery guy caught up to me when I had a little over half a mile to go. We chatted a bit, and he gave me an extra weekend edition of the WSJ (which I really enjoy). However, you can't racewalk and carry something like that at the same time, so I ran most of the rest of the way home, carrying my newspaper in the crook of my arm like a football.

I have a site walk for another potential conservation easement this morning, followed by a trip with DW to the first indoor farmer's market of the season.

Have a greta Saturday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//.................nice RaceWalking..................and Happy B'Days SuperGranny and Mr CNY

===========

28mprnb

been fighting a FlareUp all week

having

ThanksGiving today>>>>>>>>the ''We All Work in DrugStores'' Friday Variation

hope Claire doesn't

want to run with grandaddy today

...................good running guys

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

lamerunner

Good morning. Jay, actually I was thinking of the Maine Marathon in October,starts in Portland and does have a half, and a relay.   I did not realize the Maine Coast one had revived. I did  that one once too; beautiful course as i recall. ( I googled, so now I know..)

Cool and windy here, but sunny. 10 miles for me on the rail trail. I was a bit tired but still a nice run. Lots of dog walkers. VERY cold air coming this evening. Wildcat ski area opened today. Just a couple of trails, but a nice early start..

Happy Weekend!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I missed the part that said the Maine Coast marathon had been revived this year for the first time since the late 80s.  the half price offer for alums makes more sense now.  it sounds like a good option for a spring run.

Just under a 10K this morning.  Had a nice stiff breeze that made for some interesting variety as I looped the lake.  Wind aided tempo on one side and Kansas hills on the other.  Nice cross winds in between--strong enough at one point that when I hit a windbreak, it felt like I was getting pushed from the other side for 10-20 yards.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

C-R

Careful with that back Jay.

Hope the flare up goes away tw and enjoy that early thanksgiving

patrick and i ran a local 5k for haiti relief. He ran a 19:08 and finihed third. I ran a 19:26 for fourth. it was cold but we had a blast and man is he getting speedy. Fun to watch. Well iff to playbat the science museum.

Cheers all.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Mike E

MM #5615

Wow, C-R--you blew away that 20 minute 5k!  Oh...and that was nice of you to let the kid beat you...

Mariposai

Enkephalin, take care of that knee.

Indoor farmers market sound good! I wish I have one around here.

Lamerunner, skiing already! Have fun.

Hi DG!

TomW, enjoy your time with Claire.

Dievechief, you are right, what is the traditional "Thanksgiving menu"? I have a friend who is planning to do a "local thanksgiving menu. By local she means that all of her ingredients will be either grown by her or local farmers Shocked.

It was 10F this morning and since I have the whole day to myself I decided to make this morning a "pajama morning" doing little things such as cleaning my jewelry  and scarf drawers Wink .Speedy Stacey and I will be driving around the orchards today to set up our "Orchards in Bloom" HM route.

Pumpkin roasting evening awaits for me tonight. I may even get a chick flick movie to watch while roasting the pumpkins.

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Henrun

I missed the part that said the Maine Coast marathon had been revived this year for the first time since the late 80s.  the half price offer for alums makes more sense now.  it sounds like a good option for a spring run.

Kevin, I'm an alumnus. I ran it when I was living in K'port and was a member of the Maine Running Club. A scenic and fast course. I noticed on the alumnus page that several old friends are signed up for 2014. Since I'm no longer running marathons Sad  I guess I'll have to miss it.

Dave59

Great running C-R & patrick.

A real character builder run today.  It was my 6th day in a row of a run or workout and yesterday I did squats at the gym so my legs started out on half a tank.

The plan was to run what I call the "outer loop" at City Forest twice.  It is a pretty easy, wide, smooth trail designed for 2 tracks of classic xc-skiing with a skating lane in the middle.  But going over leaves and dirt always tires me out more than my usual road runs.

So I ran it once and was kind of tired and cold.  The trees give some relief from the winds, but they were really whipping and every 10 minutes there would be another blast of snow.  I got back to the car and considering calling it a day, but I had brought a thermos of coffee, so I had some of that along with a Reese's Cup and started feeling better.  I switched into a dry top to stay warm, grabbed a dry hat, topped off my water bottle, and headed out for loop #2 in the opposite direction.

I got back from loop #2, finished off the coffee and another Reese's Cup and headed on home.  I picked up a trunk full of firewood at a serve yourself spot in front of someone's house.

Loop 1: 4.66 miles 50:25  10:49/mi
                    Loop 2: 4.66 miles 53:29  11:28/mi

Kind of glad the Garmin measured it the same both times.  Slow, slow, slow, but a good workout.  Trails are so hard to judge pace on so I just went by effort.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/407744745
                    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/407744769

Wow, there are some early people on here, even on a weekend! But nobody beats Jay. Of course, he's sound asleep by 7PM every night! Wink

I've only had the pleasure of meeting a few of you IRL and wish I could do more of it. Problem is, at my age and running level it doesn't make much sense to go far for a "destination event", especially since I can't see myself doing any more marathons. Oh well, maybe when more of us age we can put together a "seniors relay team" or something. A friend of mine was quite successful at that in a couple of events that had age-based handicaps.

Well, the season really turned today: sub-freezing, windy, with blowing snow. But there was a big turnout for the club run and quite a few other groups doing the same route. Once we have a couple of good snowfalls, that route will be done until Spring, so I guess everyone was getting in their last chances. 6 miles, mostly running, but a couple miles of run-walk with some friends in the walking wounded brigade.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

mrrun

I've only had the pleasure of meeting a few of you IRL and wish I could do more of it. Problem is, at my age and running level it doesn't make much sense to go far for a "destination event", especially since I can't see myself doing any more marathons. Oh well, maybe when more of us age we can put together a "seniors relay team" or something. A friend of mine was quite successful at that in a couple of events that had age-based handicaps.

join us at the avenue of the giants in may.  i'm running the half and henrun the 10K (fingers crossed).  more than the races, i want to meet the left coast folks and catch up with those we've met previously!

marj

janie b good

3.39 miles for me!  and I no longer have a facebook account or an iphone.  I have no idea how I survive...

goodness is its own reward; for more tangible outcomes, you need to try badness.

Mike E

MM #5615

A dead battery for me...and a flat tire for Ryan. I'm waiting for a new battery and Ryan's waiting for a new tire. And, as the sun goes down, it just keeps getting colder and colder....our long run is getting tougher by the minute. BUT I get to run with Ryan.
                            stumpy77

Trails are hard!

3.39 miles for me!  and I no longer have a facebook account or an iphone.  I have no idea how I survive...

On purpose?  Pretty sure I could survive without FB.  sort of scary how essential a smart phone feels, though

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

BUsy week here -- miss all of you when I dont keep up with the dailies during the week!!  Worked a 16 hour shift yesterday in our triage area - we had our butts kicked!!  For some reason all the pregnant women with twins needed to come in and get checked out -- seriously at one point we had 5 women with twins in there at the same time!!  CRAZY!!  Fortunately they did  not all have to be delivered!!

Ran 5.6 miles with 2 friends today - one who just ran Philly last Sunday ....ran her back to the car then my other buddy and I added on another 2 miles.  Tomorrow running the Feaster Five route (my running group's big race) then helping out getting the expo set up and ready for the week!! I'm on the VIP volunteer team so part of my job is getting the gift bags, shirts and numbers ready for our VIP's!!  SO FUN!!

Heading out for dinner soon with ALL my boys, my dh and a couple of the boys girlfriends -- so love having all my family together for a meal!!  (especially one I don't have to cook)  Wink

Happy Saturday my friends!!

denise