Masters Running

Rocket City Marathon Race Report (Read 39 times)

Mike E

MM #5615

First of all...if you're doing the 50 states--and you have not done Alabama--I highly recommend Rocket City. I should point out that the course is going to change next year but it will still be organized by the same people who did an outstanding job.

As you know, I was shooting for a sub-3 hour marathon. I used the Hanson Marathon Method and followed it to a tee. I figured that if I couldn't go under 3 hours with the training I went through the last 18 weeks, I am just not going to qever get there again...well, I missed getting under 3...but I'm not done trying.

3:00:36. 37 seconds. Where did I lose 37 seconds? There was definitely time lost through the water stops...but would I have lost more time had I not taken the time to hydrate properly? We did spend an extra...I don't know 20 seconds...while Ryan dug out an energy gel at mile 5. But I sure can't blame Ryan. He blocked the wind for me through a strong headwind from miles 11 through 14. To be honest, I think I lost those 37 seconds because I didn't use my Garmin properly.

We had been hitting our splits...but the mile markers were off from the very first one. I should have hit my lap counter at each mile...but never even thought about it. We went through the half in 1:31:30. While I did end up negative splitting for the second half, I just couldn't make up that minute and a half.

Speaking of Ryan...man, he looked good during that stretch that he helped me through. I even told him to just go. "No," he said, "You're going under 3." At mile 16, I said, "Now, it's just my 10 mile tempo run." I picked it up just a little bit and Ryan wasn't able to come with me. I hesitated for a second, but...I had to go. He finished in 3:34:25. He just doesn't train properly and he knows it. But, he's a kid...when I was his age, I wasn't spending all my non-waking/non-working hours running, either. By the way...Ryan and I took 2nd in the Parent/Child Team division...which, of course, Ryan felt bad about.

In those last miles, his comment drove me to keep fighting. And I will say that I fought. I was still doing some 6:50's in the last 3 miles. I kept trying to calculate what I would need to be at when I got to each mile and I actually thought I might get it...but I never remember how much time to add for that last .2 miles. They had a sign for 1 mile to go...that's when I realized that it was going to be tough...but I still gave it everything I had.

You know, when I finally saw the clock and made out that there was a 3 at the beginning...I was not mad or disappointed or anything. I knew I had done my best. I was happy with how I had worked. The time was what it was.

The Hansons Marathon Method really lived up to its billing. I have never felt as strong in the final 10 miles as I did at Rocket City. I must have passed 20 people in the final 5 miles...which helped to keep me going.

So, the race included a party later in the evening. I really didn't feel like going, but Ryan said he'd like to go...so we went. We had so much fun. That kid just draws a crowd. We sat down at a table with one other guy and within 5 minutes our table was full. People wanted to know how the "kid with the dreads" did. Nobody cared about the old man...who beat him by over 30 minutes!

It was fun talking with all the other runners...and to watch Ryan talk to all the other runners....and watch as Ryan had his picture taken with all the other runners...and hear the crowd cheer when Ryan's picture from the race came on the screen they were showing...you would have thought the kid had won the dang thing. It was also fun to hear how another runner helped Ryan in the final miles. The guy would not leave him...sacrificing his own time to keep Ryan moving. Runners are so cool.

Okay--I guess that's all I've got. I'll close by saying, this was a fun one...one of my favorites. I wish I could bring Ryan with me to every marathon...have I ever told you guys how much I love running with...and hanging out with Ryan?

Mike, you clearly need to grow some dreads!

I loved reading your pre and post report.  You are such a strong runner, not sure how many people around here could stick to such a tough training plan and not get injured.  And to negative split your race!!!

I was also glad to hear you didn't beat yourself up about the time....I know how hard you are on yourself.

I hope you and Ryan race again together, and again and again.

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Great report, Mike.  Something tells me you will find a way to get under 3 hours another time.  You gave it your all and have a positive outlook; that's the important thing.  My friend finished in 3:33 (his best time since 2008, and he's 59); I'll ask him if he passed a kids in dreds near the finish.  Recover well.

wildchild

Carolyn

Awesome job, Mike!  We need a picture of Ryan, please. 

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Mike E

MM #5615

Oh...dang it--you told me you had a friend running...I never even thought to ask you his name.  It would have been fun meeting him.

Oh, yeah...good thinking, wild...FO--was your friend at the post race party?  He, probably, got a picture with Ryan, too.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Almost as much as the grandkid stories, I love reading about parent-son running, reminding me of the special times it worked out for me and my son too.  However, we only meshed with good runs once out of three times so maybe next time is your charm too. I guess the girls wait until later in their careers to start running.  I hope you and Ryan have lots more tather-son races in the coming years.
              ps - maybe surprise Ryan with your dreadlocks wig next time.

pps - glad it seems that Carolyn survived her winter ultra, brrrrrr..

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

HermosaBoy

Nice racing Mike!!!

As for Ryan -- I will be interested to see what he can do when he can/wants to focus on running his best time.

A very talented runner, just like is father!!!

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

Marathon Maniac #957

Mike, you clearly need to grow some dreads!

I loved reading your pre and post report.  You are such a strong runner, not sure how many people around here could stick to such a tough training plan and not get injured.  And to negative split your race!!!

I was also glad to hear you didn't beat yourself up about the time....I know how hard you are on yourself.

I hope you and Ryan race again together, and again and again.

You know, Enke said almost exactly everything I was going to say, so I will just say, Ditto!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Great race Mike. And even though you were 36 seconds off your goal, you got to run with your son. Have we ever told you how much we like hearing about how much you like running with that kid? Congrats to both of you!!

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

I'm going to ditto Holly dittoing Enke.  Especially the part about the dreads, not wait--not beating yourself up about those 36 seconds.  Negative splits at that speed are highly impressive.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

Late news flash.  Mike won his AG, which probably takes a little of the sting out of not achieving his time goal.  Mike, my friend remembers passing Ryan and seeing him in the food line.  Small world.

evanflein

Yep, Enke put it about as well as anyone could've said it. Nice race for you Mr. Evans, and glad that you could run with Ryan for part of it. When that kid figures out how to train for and run a marathon, watch out.

Dave59

Great racing Mike.  Even with Ryan's help, the wind easily could account for more than 37 seconds.

sunkid

What an awesome time, Mike! Those 37 seconds blow, but it really sounds like you raced your best. Congratulations!

I would be curious to see your full training schedule. Did you make a plan here on RA?

Mike E

MM #5615

I would be curious to see your full training schedule. Did you make a plan here on RA?

Yep...it's in my Training Log under the Training Plans.