Masters Running

Weightloss Healthy Eating Challenge - Week 3 (Read 396 times)

Marathon Maniac #957

Well, this week I am down 1 lb from last week, but that doesn't mean much, since I was still at TTOTM at last week's weigh in. And it would seem that going off the Pill didn't magically drop any weight from me. Darn! Although I did have a couple of pretty speedy runs since then, and whether or not performance issues could possibly be caused by the Pill is one of my questions I'm trying to resolve. Jury is still out. We had a fancy dinner/wine event at a friend's house last weekend that didn't help, and this weekend we have a dinner out/show planned, plus by golly I'm having some birthday cake! AND ice cream! So I don't have high hopes for this week being a net loss either.... Roll eyes On the plus side, my snacking has been getting a little healthier. I've been having yogurt with Kashi Crunch or Fiber One instead of an ice cream cone in the evening, and I've been mildly successful at eating more cut-up veggies while I cook dinner, instead of chips. Still room for improvement there, though. Where are the rest of you this week?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Dutchie42

Holly: a pound is a pound...You're trying and that's all that matters. Down to 125.66 (57.0kg) this morning. Precisely where I was a year ago, almost to the day! For some reason I'm craving french fries today. I had a healthy sandwhich with goat cheese instead. So, till now, I'm good. No plans for the weekend, so that's good too.

Dutchie
      Run the day, or the day runs you.

Holly- if you were one of my students I would have you focus on the positive changes you have made. Think about, with your snacking, how long you did that before you switched to a new habit. We are all working against similar long duration habits. Just keep going! For me, I am down 2 to 197. I had a good running week last week, this week not so much, but I haven't had much time for snacking either. The good thing is even with being hectic and getting tired I haven't tried taking in more calories to offset that.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Holly - just take that one pound for what it is and enjoy the loss! All we can do is take it a day at a time. Have you tried the "Skinny Cow" ice cream treats? They are really good - I especially like the ice cream sandwiches. Good job Dutchie .... Just say NO to french fries!! You are doing great Cranium. Congratulations on another 2 pounds. As for me, the scale was down 2 pounds this morning to 136.6! Shocked the hell out of me to tell you the truth. I was really starting to wonder if I'd ever see a number less that 138 again. But, I weighed in after my 5 mile run, and then drank a cup of coffee, so I'm not so sure about the accuracy of that number. I will weigh myself again tomorrow. This was a little eye opening about salads we may order in restaurants: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/29514121/ I recently bought that book "Buy This not That" and it is quite interesting. I made a spagehetti and meatball recipe out of that book last night that was very good and relatively low in calories for spaghetti! Keep up the good work everyone.

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
          It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

I'm down 5-1/2 since school's BL weigh-in on 1/12. After we found out our team is tied for 4th (out of 11) and that I'm the team member who's lost the least weight, I posted a net less of ZERO for last week's weight-in and then decided to get serious. Logging calories on sparkpeople every day so far this week. Adding yogurt to my lunch, along with salad with chicken or tuna, seems to help me not feel like I'm starving at the end of the school day. Eliz

flomotioncoaching.com

Holly, as much as you run, I would say the majority of your weight is muscle and you are getting leaner and stronger daily. Plus, as Dutchie said, a pound is a pound! Enjoy that b-day cake! 135 for me this morning, which I hope is down from last week, but frankly, I can't remember. I'm not working as hard as I should but I have completely quit bringing anything home that is filled w/ sugar. Except wine.... I too am using the yogurt and Kashi crunch idea...it is satisfying most nights. This thread is definitely helping me! Great job Mary, Cranium, Dutchie, and Eliz. ! Eliz, I am also doing the BL at school and so far I have lost and gained the same 3 pounds! It kills me on Friday mornings bcuz the nurse does not get here until 8 am and I can't eat until I weigh. We'll see what tomorrow brings.
                Weighed in at 140.2 this a.m. Very pleased with that considering I'm not doing any real hard core workouts right now. Holly - You ran through my mind last night as I was munching down a tiny bag of M&Ms I got at conference. Luckily, that's the last of the crap they put our boodle bags. I'll go back to my dried fruit that I've been snacking on in place of other stuff. One thing that's helping me not snack a lot is my stomach is fairly intolerable of much right now, especially anything that's high in fat. Knowing nausea is going to be a result of eating something is quite the deterrent! Big grin

Leslie
                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

Dutchie 42 – I love goat cheese! But I never thought to have it on a sandwich. What else is on the sandwich? Right now I'm on a "hard-boiled egg on ww with lite Miracle Whip" kick for my work lunches. Craneium – you are doing great, and you are so right about fatigue and stress often leading to overeating. I think I subconsciously think I need more food when I feel tired. Hopeful – great job for you as well, and that article is certainly an eye-opener. A salad with more sodium than 77 cups of buttered popcorn? Yikes! And it’s true the restaurants make their salads big enough to feed the whole family. It helps if you order your dressing on the side and “fork dip” and also to put half of it in a to-go box immediately. The other half makes a nice lunch the next day (and dinner, too, sometimes). I’m happy to see that my favorite fast food place, Chic-Fi-Lay, scored very well on their Restaurant Report Card with an A-. Fussyrunner – I’m afraid that I’m doing the same stuff I’ve been doing for years, so I am no longer “getting leaner,” just maintaining, so the extra weight I gain is really and truly flab. Fattozig – I don’t think that “fun-sized” candies actually have any calories. Just like grocery store samples. At least that’s the story I’m sticking with..... Wink

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

evanflein

Holly said "by golly." Big grin You go girl. Life is definitely too short to pass up birthday cake. (yours? I thought yours was a little while ago? or has time just gone that fast...) Oh, the calories leak out of broken cookies, too. Some of you are doing really really well. Wow... good job. I was 142 this morning, which is up .5 from where I've been the last 4 (?) weeks or so. I was writing in on the calendar, but forgot to keep doing that. I was 139.5 on Monday morning, which tells me my disastrous crash on Sunday's long run was probably at least partially nutrition related. Almost 50 and I still haven't figured it out. Roll eyes
                    dg.

I've been having yogurt with Kashi Crunch or Fiber One instead of an ice cream cone in the evening
                      Holly, I happen to know that that is a Big Deal! Cool Erika,.... past 50, (gasp) & I haven't either.
                        The salad link - holy crap!! The only thing on that list I indulge in once in a great while is a Caesar salad, and I have yet to find a suitable low fat substitute for the real thing. The low fats have a tendency to be too bitey for me, and I don't really care for the taste of vinegarettes. One thing I've done for years is order my dressing on the side. Or like with a taco salad, order the sour cream and guac on the side so I can add in a SMALL amount, as opposed to the gargantuan amounts the restaurants add, and (unfortunately) don't eat much of the shell.

Leslie
                        Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Marathon Maniac #957

10 mile run yesterday, 1900 calories, and today, I weigh exactly the same. Grrrrr.... Angry I had my thyroid checked last year because I barely seem to burn any calories for all my efforts, but the doc said my levels checked out as normal. I'm going to keep trying, though. I just want to lose 4-5 lbs, but it seems like that last 5 lbs around your ideal weight is the hardest to lose.

Prince of Fatness

2/20 - 168.5 lbs. 2/27 - 170.5 lbs. 3/06 - 170.0 lbs. Down a half a pound. Not bad since I there were a couple of events during the week that interfered with my dieting.

Not at it at all. 

I'm going to keep trying, though. I just want to lose 4-5 lbs, but it seems like that last 5 lbs around your ideal weight is the hardest to lose.
                              I wish I could get there to find out! Tongue
                                i am so disgusted with myself.............i do good all day then ruin it at night -- not bad food just too much esp if i have a glass of wine and sit at the computer or in front of the tv...........i've been at 139 and right now can't remember if that's what i was last week or if i'm up 1lb --- just so sick of it............i've been working out more and more gradually wish i could just glue my mouth shut or magically rev up my metabolism moreSad

denise