Masters Running

Thursday 8.20 (Read 37 times)

mrrun

went out early and it wasn't as bad as other days.  cooling down in a shirt that i hope Jay gets tonite.

not going back to do shout-outs - I'll leave that to others

have a wondrous day!

marj

mta: for those not on FB, Posai & Pacer have evacuated, but are safe right now.

coastwalker

Hi Marj,

I guess everyone else is taking the day off...

I'm so sorry that Mariposai and the Pacer had to evacuate, but at least they are safe. I hope their home is too.

We got very disappointing news today from the state dept. of historical resources. They are further delaying our dam replacement project because they aren't sure the architectural historian we had to hire to complete their #%@&! report was accurate in her recommendation that the dam and pond do not qualify for placement on the National Registry of Historic Places. They want her to redo the assessment, but I have no idea why doing it again would lead to a different outcome this time. There just is no more information about the pond and dam than what was included in the first assessment. I can't help but think they are doing this to us just because they can. And we have no recourse. So it'll take more time and cost us probably another $1,000 or more. To say that this stinks puts it very, very, very mildly. Perhaps I can take out my frustration on the race course tonight...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

Thinking of Nancy (mariposai) too and will try to follow her on FB (her only line of communication from the shelter).

Nice comments yesterday, Aamos! And of course we're all confused here as to how Ilitch could shoot himself in the foot by letting Dombrowski go like that, only to be replaced by a rookie GM.

I was supposed to run with a friend this morning at 8, but when she texted at 7 to reconfirm it was dark, cloudy, and raining outside so we called it off. Wouldn't you know it, by 8 the skies were clearing and the temperature was 10-15F cooler than previous days, so I just ran out from my house for a very pleasant 4-miler. My friend later texted me to say how upset she was that we had cancelled the run, so I knew better than to say that I had gone out anyway.

Have a good one, everybody!

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

marj - thanks for the posie/pacer update.

With three of his fellow Forest Service employees killed yesterday

and the fire on the move to their town's airport with embers

stretching out more than four miles, it's a frightening day

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/wildfires/2015/08/19/okanogan-county-town-evacuated-due-wildfire/31987159/

I hope Robin's relatives near the Chelan fires are safe too and everyone's homes are spared.

I can't help but think they are doing this to us just because they can. And we have no recourse. So it'll take more time and cost us probably another $1,000 or more. To say that this stinks puts it very, very, very mildly. Perhaps I can take out my frustration on the race course tonight...

Jay - sorry but too true of bureaucrats and others who feel obligated to show their power and authority without the courtesy of giving any good reason.  Best to grin and bear it as you are, . . . and go for a good run tonight.  Have fun.

I'm feeling a little stronger following yesterday’s full taper after getting wiped out by a measly 15-miles of cycling on Sunday  . .   but likely not enough for avoiding lots of resting during this weekend's two-hour plus annual super-sprint triathlon. We’ll see.

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Glad to hear the moving is going well Dave.

I was supposed to run yesterday, but I didn't wake up on time. I have a strong aversion to alarm clocks, and try not to use them.  But since I hadn't run since Sunday, I HAD to set my clock for this morning.

4 HMP (my old HM PR pace from when I was fit) tempo miles @ 9:41 min/mile.  That felt good.  My goal was just anything under 10:00.  3 days of resting the legs certainly helped there.  This is my cutback week so I suppose it is ok I had that break to recharge.  I will try to get 20-22 for the week, then go back up to 30 for 3 more weeks before the relay.

Went out for pub food and beer(s) last night with BE, and the scale registered that decadence this morning!  I can't let him weight less than me, and he said his scale yesterday said he was 2 pounds less than me! (and he is 3 and a fraction inches taller!).  Skinny dude!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

I'm wishing for the best for mari and her friends and neighbors.  Dave, I'm glad to hear you made it safely to WV.

Nice long runs for Mike and wild.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 3 miles at an 11:18 pace.

In a couple hours, I'll be off to work the packet pick up for the Crim.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Slo

Ugh, Jay...I feel your pain.

Rest day for me...didn't need it. Just took it.

(poking my head in the door)  How is everybody?

I'm astonished and dismayed by Posalina's video she posted on FB of the fire.  Sad

OK, so running-wise, I am on day 9 of my first run streak (will aim for 50+).  It's just little 2+-milers (minimum is 1 continuous mile) but I needed consistency, as the "whenever" method was clearly leading me to the Spud Life.  Plus, I have to get in shape for a 5-mile fun run/race in Detroit on Sept. 13th; woohoo!  After 1.5 years of dating Herr Wegetarian, I have successfully converted him to being a runner, too.

Today's run was great until I stopped....and a few steps later was stung on the leg by a wasp.  Yerg.  It will swell and I'll have to take Benadryl, etc. etc.  I know the score because this happened just 5 weeks ago.

*Ol' Wasp Sting Vet*

Renee

I'm wishing for the best for mari and her friends and neighbors.  Dave, I'm glad to hear you made it safely to WV.

Nice long runs for Mike and wild.

This morning, it was in the low 60s and there was a light wind.  I got in 3 miles at an 11:18 pace.

In a couple hours, I'll be off to work the packet pick up for the Crim.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Sayhey! MM#130

I am glad you reposted there Mr. Selbs, as I was trying to figure out a way to say "ditto what Tom wrote," since you expressed what I wanted to say.  Serendipity, for sure; thank you sir!

And HELLO Econo (sorry for shouting but it's exciting to hear from you).  Hope all is well with you.  I bet I don't even want to know how old is your son these days.  But I still wish him well.

Jay gonna be breaking some records tonight, uh huh.

yeah, roch, I know.  He was on the game radio broadcast last night (stopped by the booth in the 3rd inning) and sounds fantastic.   Happy!

Being prudent, just 3 and a third since I plan to go play with Speedsters tonight.

Best,

A

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

Econo! Hello there, girl. It’s been a long time. I was just thinking about that CR meetup in Omaha almost 10 years ago, your first marathon. You sure did great in that heat and humidity!

Aamos, Congrats on another speedy marathon. Say, wasn't Tet supposed to be out at the Leading Ladies Marathon handing out kisses at the finish line?

Dave, glad the move went reasonably well. Hope the cats adjust pretty soon. Aren’t you a lot closer to Annabelle now?

Hermosaboy, how is the new job going? Did you win the 15K last weekend?

Nancy, have been thinking of you and the evacuation. How awful this all is and losing 3 firefighters is so tragic. I am sure you are the one at the shelter assisting others and providing a cheerful smile. I think God put you in this place for a reason.

I plan to run tonight after work. It has been hit and miss (mostly miss) this month. We have our bags packed and leave for Alaska tomorrow! We should be in EricaLand by next Saturday/Sunday and hope to meet up. We are renting a small motorhome and are touring on our own. I booked a few tours but we will just roam around and do/see what we want. I am looking forward to this little cruise out of Valdez. http://youtu.be/Bkgg6pASsAU

See you soon, Erica!

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

I have been trying to track the fire around mariposai's house.  No dice.  Updates are not coming fast and furious.

In food news, I found a great recipe for zucchini and sausage soup on Allrecipes at http://allrecipes.com/recipe/slow-cooker-zucchini-soup/detail.aspx?src=VD_Summary.  As for me, another elliptical day.  The good news is that the abdominal strain seems to be gone. Still, I am not going to push it by running until Saturday at the earliest.

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

evanflein

Woot! An Econo sighting! Hi there! <waving madly> So good to see you and good work on converting the Herr to the running!

Hey Starr... there's a reason Ribs calls me Ek. Just saying'. Looking forward to meeting you on home turf, and I hope the weather improves (kinda cloudy, rainy the last couple weeks).

{{Mariposai and EP}} That's just so sad about the firefighters. Yes, it's a dangerous job, but that doesn't make it any less tragic. I think we were lucky this year with ours. I hope the winds die down and you get some rain soon.

{{Dave's scaredy cats}} It's ok, kitties, this is home now. Poor cats just don't get it, and don't adjust well to change. Come to think of it, they just outwardly express what a lot of folks feel about change.

Jay, that's ridiculous that they just want you to do the assessment again. Did they at least give you guidelines on what they thought was lacking and where they wanted more information? GL on your race; you don't have many evening races do you?

Yesterday's run was another 10+ mostly on the Equinox trail. I start at my office and take some back trails to where the real course is, about a mile in, then run to past the 7 mile point where the course takes a hard right to head off to Ester Dome, or you can turn left and take the trail about 2.5-3 miles back to campus. That's what I did, for a good run of 10.3 miles, just a little slower (and a couple more breaks) than last week. Still all good.

Today's run was a 5.4 mile progressive pace run, starting at 8:20'something and ending up at 7:50'something. Not much of an increase, but it wasn't a real long run. Legs felt good but I am having some back issues. Yesterday it was my right SI joint, today that's better but my whole lower lumbar area is tweaky. I think I've been sitting too much and ignoring my core work... Oops.

Good luck on the race, Jay!  Thanks for trying to get updates on Mariposai's house, twocat. I shall try that recipe but not tonight. It is clean out the fridge now or in two weeks. Can I freeze cauliflower? Maybe purée it like fauxtatoes we used to make on the Atkins plan.

Sorry that your weather has been rainy, Erika, but now it should be time for some sun. I keep packing wool sweaters, mittens, hats and gloves, then wonder if I will need it. I am Minnesotan, ya' know.

Just got back from a run around the lake. What a perfect evening! 4.7 miles in one hour, finally broke that 13:00 pace. I think I need a race entry to get me motivated. The Turkey Day 10k is in 4 weeks so maybe........

“Courage is not defined by those who fought and did not fall, but by those who fought, fell, and rose again.” — Adrienne Rich

mrrun

HI Econo  - nice to see you posting

Lots of good runs/elliptical

anyone have news of tomwhite?

<downer on>the day that started so cheerfully, ended with a martooni and dinner out.  My DS and family had to put their dog to sleep and I was in charge of GD2 - not a pleasant way to spend the afternoon.  Baxter RIP - you were loved <downer end>

off to Ohio tomorrow for bar mitzvah and GS college visit and stocking his refrigerator

marj