Masters Running

Wed Jan 23 Master runs / workouts (Read 688 times)

Ok, I'll start again Smile Downright balmy today at 36F cooling to 32F this morning. Still cooling off, I see, as now it's 30. Just an easy 6 miler -- faster than last week's at about the same effort as measured by heart rate. Not sure why. Workout: 5.1 miles, 8:18/mi, AHR 144 Overall: 6.1 miles, 50:54 Have a great day, everyone.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Balmy here too, Lou. 38F good for shorts and long sleeve tee. 12 mi m-LR in 1:44:45 (8:48, AHR 149). Tory ran first half with me. Progression style 9:30 to 8:05. Totally uneventful. Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Hill Runner

Good morning guys, It's a beautiful morning to run here also unfortunately as I started out this morning I had to stop. I had a pain on the top of my left foot...sort of like the top of my shoelace was digging into my foot. I don't know if there's a ligament or tendon there that's possibly irritated from the shoelaces being too tight? This was the first time that I've ever had to abort a run.. Sad . I'll take some Ibuprofen and see how it feels tomorrow. Good runs to everyone today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
        Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
        Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

No run for me this morning, as I was planning some easy speed work at the track after work. But DW tells me we have an appointment after work, so this looks like a rest day. Probably just as well. I fighting a losing battle with a nasty head cold that is showing signs of moving to my chest. This one may derail my HM this weekend. Grrrrrrr Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning all, 13 miles in 1:54 with last mile at 7:50----5 AM and 23F at the start and 21F at finish. Sun is up and strong here and should be in the mid-high 30s today. All good. Friend wanted to run at 5 and wanted a medium long run, so I didn't hesitate. She didn't want to do the fast finish final mile, but we saw the school bus approaching and that was incentive enough----hug the kids and kick it in. I hope Maraposai has made it out of Chicago and is running free now. Peter, you might trying lacing your shoe up around the edge of the tongue rather than across your foot. I do that when the top of my foot aches and it's not a deep pain---more of an irritation. Be careful and I'll hope that it's just a too tight lacing issue. Sorry about the cold Bill, rest is good and maybe the weekend isn't totally shot. Good days all CNYrunner
              No run for me, it was spinning for me this morning, nice and easy as the outside of my left knee (tendons) are a little tender. Did some core afterwards. Busy day with key presentations, kids, basketball, etc.. tonigh so must get going. Cheers gang Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Peter - I was going to suggest the re-lacing of your shoe too. I have to do that with my right shoe - looks kind of geeky but takes the pressure off the top of my foot. Hope you feel better soon Bill and that you don't have to forego your Half! Wow - CNY - 12 miles on a Wednesday morning. You go girl!! This morning the temperature was 12 degrees with a very light wind and the large snow flakes were floating all around me. I felt as though I was running in a giant snow globe for my 4 miles at 10:36 pace. My legs were a bit tired though - I guess from the excercise videos I've been doing. Happy Hump Day! ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Me

Good morning, 4 miles for me this morning in 35:39. I am pretty excited that I broke 36:00. 13 degrees with a 10 mph wind, but the moon and stars were out in force this morning. Cheers mike
                    Re shoe tying: I also have a problem where if my laces are the slightest bit too tight across the top of my foot, I get a numbness or worse. Here's an interesting piece from Runner's World about some alternate ways of tying shoes. I might give one of these a try even though they look pretty weird. Still no running for me today and I have a Dr. appointment for tomorrow. Plus there's been some issues at work that have taken me out of the running mood for now (or maybe it's the not-running that's making things seem worse than they are?). Anyway, good running to everyone as always. Looks like some good runs already today (go CNY! go Steve!).

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Erika – a day in heels can really give you some sore spots. Is that why your DH was sore, too? Big grin Peter – I find that the top of my foot gets easily irritated by lacing too tight, and I tend to lace a bit on the loose side because of it. {{{Breger's head}}} CNYrunner - nice run! How do you stay awake at work when you start the day with a run like that? Mrwhite – always exciting to see improvement. Roch – thanks for the article. I may try one of those as well. Keep us posted on your doctor visit, and I hope your work issues resolve quickly. 7.15 easy-paced miles for me today in 12(feels like 1) degrees. It was tough to get myself outside, but fine once I got going. Happy Wednesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Tramps

Nice, comfortable easy run. 7.6 miles @ 8:56 with AHR @ 132 (67%). 32F and sunny. Sorry; busy lately and no time to socialize. Sad I do skim the thread though for inspiration. (Aamos, brrrr. Evanflein's living it up in Vegas. Mariposai's doing 12 on a TM instead of flying. etc.)

Be safe. Be kind.

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Good morning guys, I had a pain on the top of my left foot...sort of like the top of my shoelace was digging into my foot. I don't know if there's a ligament or tendon there that's possibly irritated from the shoelaces being too tight? This was the first time that I've ever had to abort a run.. Sad . I'll take some Ibuprofen and see how it feels tomorrow. Good runs to everyone today.
                          Peter, I've had that. Like others have said, lacing was a remedy for me. This is my shoe: just crossed twice at bottom and once at the top. I tend to not pull them tight either. Lots of nerves on the top of the foot. Or some variation.. http://www.sheactive.co.uk/Pain_on_top_of_your_foot.html?running_id=19&

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Perch - for a minute there I thought that was a picture of my shoe! Exactly the way I have mine laced too. Nice 12 miler this morning - I somehow missed that earlier!

~Mary

~unknown

Nice running people. Fairly chilly this morning for my 10 miler (29 degrees)-negative split despite coming back up the hills-ran back with fartlek MP every 2 minutes-legs feel pretty good overall... Peter- I wear my laces skipping the topmost hole and never have the shoes too tight, to eliminate that discomfort at the top of the foot. Finding the right shoes helped. I tried various ways to lace, including Perch's aforementioned way and the Lydiard way. www.lydiardfoundation.org/training/lacingthelydiardway.html I like it best the way I do it now, but you need to find out what works for you. GL!

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

I thought this was funny, and hope it doesn't happen to anyone . . . unless they want it too of course!!

~Mary

~unknown