Masters Running

Wed Jan 23 Master runs / workouts (Read 688 times)

TammyinGP

Hi WildChild! Nope, I don't even own long underwear! LOL I thought I would never need that stuff again after I left MN and moved to the mild west coast! LOL And I really don't participate in any other cold weather sports that would require me to buy that kind of stuff. So, for a few wks I just hunker down with the TM. it's not so bad though and I know it's temporary. I'm doing most of my posting at KR, that's just sort of where I found my niche I guess and I like that interface over there so much. it's really all so very unfortunate that the CR group split in first place, but well, it's happens. I do try to pop in here at least once a week and post, although I do lurk maybe a few times a week. I guess the less and less one posts, the more they feel like an "outsider" when they do post, but I will try and stay connected, even if it's limited at times.

Tammy

TammyinGP

5 miles on the treadmill, 1% incline, at 9:07 mile pace. Hey, I'm doing the best I can. Soundie, I'll go to Eugene if you room with me. JK. Nice to see the Pacific Northwest wimmen posting today. Smile Dark Horse
      But if Soundie decides to room with me, that means you'd be in a room with two PNW wimmen and I'm not sure you can handle it DarkHorse. btw DH - I was talking about you this a.m. My 8 yr old is really into Chess (got a Pirates of the Caribbean chess set for Christmas) and my DH is quite impressed with his strategy plans when they play. He's has won a few games against my husband by planning moves that my husband didn't even see coming. So, today I was telling my son, how I know this Master chess champion on my running board.

Tammy

Soundie wrote: "Me thinks breger and the beer drinkers from the East coast are coming, too."
        I can't decide whether I should be disturbed by that statement or happy ... Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I can't decide whether I should be disturbed by that statement or happy ... Bill
          why, being lumped in with beer drinkers is always a good thing, imo. I am looking forward to meeting all of you and sharing some NW microbrews. Smile Dark Horse, is "JK" sekrit code for something? ((racking brain for Japanese lunch dropped hints...) Holly, nice decision on your part, but keep working on The Single and Wild Trip West. Maybe fall? Tammy, I have a room and keeping it for now, but plans change. Sheesh. I'm paying $229/night for Eugene!!! That's insane!
          TammyinGP

why, being lumped in with beer drinkers is always a good thing, imo. I am looking forward to meeting all of you and sharing some NW microbrews. Smile Dark Horse, is "JK" sekrit code for something? ((racking brain for Japanese lunch dropped hints...) Holly, nice decision on your part, but keep working on The Single and Wild Trip West. Maybe fall? Tammy, I have a room and keeping it for now, but plans change. Sheesh. I'm paying $229/night for Eugene!!! That's insane!
            $229!! Are you at the Hilton?? Yikes! I'm at the BW Greentree for around $89/night I think! I have no clue how I'll get back there after I finish (see how optimistic I am! I actually believe I'll finish this!), because it's probably a mile walk from the finish line, but it's only a few blocks from the start.

Tammy

mustang sally

Bad faerie

The Horse is Just Kidding. Except he isn't. There's this other chick who lives on Vancouver Island who's threatening to make the Eugene road trip, too. And there's our hostess the Economist. Yes, a party is brewing. It's really too bad that I'm absolutely no fun at all before races, being grumpy and stressed out and all. Is Glidegal hanging around these parts? 'Cause she otter come down and really disrupt things!
              TammyinGP

It's really too bad that I'm absolutely no fun at all before races, being grumpy and stressed out and all.
                yeah, I can tell by your avatar that you take this racing thing much too seriously Sal! You really need to loosen up and enjoy life a bit more . . . Tongue

Tammy

Tammy, a mile is not a problem. A mile walk after a marathon might sound like a bad thing. But it actually helps the recovery to walk afterwards. I walked 4 miles (albeit slowly) after NYC to my hotel. Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

mustang sally

Bad faerie

yeah, I can tell by your avatar that you take this racing thing much too seriously Sal! You really need to loosen up and enjoy life a bit more . . . Tongue
                    I'll have you know that the Pank Faerie put me up to that, and that my new motto is, "Never make a bet when you've been dfrinking."
                    TammyinGP

I'll have you know that the Pank Faerie put me up to that, and that my new motto is, "Never make a bet when you've been dfrinking."
                      why is that misspelling so funny to me right now? Thanks Breger, hopefully that mile walk will be therapeutic and doesn't turn into a mile crawl . . . . or roll, incase I can't even crawl. . . . Confused

Tammy

jules, way to go heading for a PR month of over 100 miles. Nice long runs for WRFB, biketm, CNY (with speedwork), Holly, Mariposai (on hotel TM), perch, and CNY (another one). Good job on the speedwork for enkephalin (on hills), and BAP. This morning, I plodded through another 8 miles on the TM at 1% and 6.7 mph (8:57/mile). A good day and good runs for all. TomS

Manchild

5.3 miles following work today. Out the door by 4:20pm after wheelbarrowing firewood to the door for tonight's cold snap. 35 degrees and a clear sunset this evening during the run, all trails which tended to be a little soft due to today's high temps in the upper 30s. Say, is anyone thinking about running the Vermont Marathon in Burlington, VT on May25th? Just a thought I'm 99% sure I'm gonna do it! Haven't signed up yet.. Chris

GreenMan

KR simulpost Another Wed MLR. Choose the hill option. Toward Shady Valley, TN 37688 The morning would've remind me of the PNW, if I'd ever been there. A thick fog was laying on the hills like whipped cream. Temperature about freezing. PithyDoug spelled out a good ankle taping system over in Extreme Running (KR) that I tested out on my right problem child. I was impressed with how much it helped. Didn't think I'd really need it since my route wasn't technical -or that was the plan. I got on the bicycle, and rode 6.25 miles over into TN near Offset again. The dogs over there are getting to know me better but a black & tan hound gave me a couple warning bumps. No harm done. Thought nothing of the road condition, but the pavement was moist and had been salted. But when I came to my FS road, it's still completely covered in 1-2" of snow with a pair of icy tire tracks. I start to push my bike, to the place I like to chain it up. It gets my feet in better shape to run. Even without the snow its practically too steep to pedal on gravels - for me anyways. 300' rise in .75 miles. So after transition, I end up "crawling" 14: xx min miles to the top 2.66 miles jumping ice ruts most of the way. But what a reward was waiting the last half mile or so at the top. The blowing fog had frozen an inch of ice on one side of every twig on every tree as far as I could see. The ice looked like tight rows of tiny white daggers, it was georgeous. I've never been so deep impressed by the role trees play for the earth as a parrallel to our cardiovascular system. I thought about going home and burying my car. After a stretch I run to the bottom of the other (south) side, also about 2.66 miles. This is only a 900' drop verses a 1100' climb from my bike to the top on the north face. The bottom 1.5 miles on the south side is almost clear, though I got a very quick 4' skating lesson on the way down. I stretch, have a banana and head back up. I cross through the gap again, but skip the break. It has warmed very little which is better as the little hard snow cover makes a much better running surface than slushy stuff. There still a lot of ice to avoid. Back at the bike I take a half a Clifbar break. I stash my handheld in the pack, take a stretch break and head back up. This trip up is slower because I'm tired. I take some walk breaks in the last mile. At the top I turn back toward the bike. By now the snow is getting slippery as it's slightly warmer. Being tired, I don't make as good footing decisions as when fresh. But I make it to the bike and ride home - un-frozen, un-fallen, un-bitten, generally unscathed. 6.25 miles BIKE .75 walk 16 mile run +/- ~3100' elev change 7 mile BIKE Downright Tarred JJJ
                            Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                              Jules, I know how you feel, I too have been rejuvinated running by posting my workouts every day. Keep it up! That being said I visited the Dr. today for a persistent and worsening cough. Turns out I have walking pneumonia and have been instructed not to run until the antibiotics run their course. Frustrating but not going to let it get me down. I will just have to run vicariously through everyone else for the next few days.
                                Turns out I have walking pneumonia and have been instructed not to run until the antibiotics run their course.
                                Craneium, hang in there. Enjoy the rest, and come back strong. Jesse, great workout. Pacific Northwest wimmen, don't start with me. I can handle all of you. Except maybe Mustang Sally. Dark Horse
                                I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.