Masters Running

Saturday's alright with me, 9.28.13 (Read 43 times)

wildchild

Carolyn

That's funny about dreading the 70's AG, tselbs!  I met a guy at a trail race last summer who had just turned 70 and was complaining about all the fast guys in his new AG!  Nice racing!

Tramps, why don't you do that loop the other direction?  Scared of hills?  Wink   Those paces look pretty speedy to me.

Dave, greta picture of you and the rainbow!  We went to Niagara Falls when we took DD on an east coast college tour - I guess that was 4 years ago now.  Have fun at the reunion - hope you'll have some juicy family stories to share with us when you get back! Smile

Holly, way to tough out a 50k - they're never easy!  Hope you didn't injure yourself in the spectacular tumble.   You can't really count this as a PW - all 50ks are different, even two on the same course, because of weather and  other factors. Oh, and was the wrong turn on the first lap?  Or were you spacing out on one of the later laps?

I guess I ran a PW 50k today, too, but I'm just saying it was my slowest.   6:57, and I was happy to break 7 hours.   It was such a beautiful trail, and all frosty from the snow last night!    My Garmin died at about 18.5 miles, but I was wearing a watch so I tried to gauge my pace, but there were no mile markers so I just had approximate aid station locations to go by.   I knew I was close to 7 hours, so I really pushed it at the end - which luckily was downhill.  Here's the elevation profile from the race website:

Yeah, low altitude, at least for me, but steep!  And a lot of mud from yesterday's rain.  Here's a picture of the frosty morning:

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Marathon Maniac #957

today I ran my first half marathon since May 2008. I had a half marathon PR.

Well done!

Tselbs - nice racing for you as well.

Carolyn -3rd woman - YEAH! Well done!  And the wrong turn I made was in the first loop.  Apparently Boy Scouts had been out marking trails in the park, and I mistook their flags for our markings.  I followed another guy all the way down a long steep trail to the river bed, then we both looked at each other when the trail ended with a "holy crap" look. At least I got more workout for my buck, right?

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Nice PR, IBUB

You goddesses that run those long distances....I can't imagine running for 7 or 8 hours!

Speaking of which, trail runner guy vaporized into the ether. Which is ok, because when one door closes, another opens, and I really really really like what I found behind door #3.  Smile  Really like.  Can't say that enough.

1.32 miles in the blustery wind and drenching rain, then I gave up and hopped on the TM, which has seen no use in probably 9 months.  I couldn't believe how much I enjoyed it.  Yes, I enjoyed it!  I had the tunes cranked, and I was only going to do 2 miles, but did 5, because I was having such a good time singing along to the tunes.

Nice pictures today!

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Mike E

MM #5615

So...Enke...how much do you like that guy?

Thanks everyone - your kind words help more than I can say!!

Congrats to all the racers today and fleet feet to those racing tomorrow.  I will be volunteering bright and early at a local Triathlon - time to give back for me.  Nite

denise

TammyinGP

Volunteered at a trail HM today. it's a complicated and challenging course with about 3 loops of varying lengths in the Enchanted Forest. They all intersected at my location, so I had to know or try to keep track of who was on the 1st, 2nd, 3rd loop to direct them the right way. you could usually tell by their pacing. Hal Koerner, of course, took an easy win on this. When Timothy Olsen was driving me out to my location, where we parked his car and where we had to run to was about 1/3 of mile. As we were running the trail to my spot, I said to him "this will probably be the only time I can say I was running with Tim Olsen" Joking  I'm glad we didn't have to run more than a 1/3 of a mile though. . .

met a guy from Dallas that was running the race. He and his lady friend flew out primarily for the race, but were spending some time with family in the area too. Nice nice guy. Ribs, I asked him if he runs Andy Brown and he looked surprised that I was familiar with that location. He said he has on occasion but his lady friend's cycling group usually meets there for their rides.

fun day out on the trails, even if I wasn't running. did get in a few miles though.

Tammy

Mariposai

Fun readying around here!

Our Ultra goddesses are very, very impressive.

Tamster, volunteering is always fun. The Autumn Leaf Run is next week, which I RD. A lot of work, but so much fun to watch people having fun.

Fun day in the posie kingdom. Started the day by waking up at 9am with my favorite way of waking up Joking. Then it was catching up with my papa on the phone. At age 75 he sure is talkative like a young teen. Seriously, I treasure every second I spend on the phone with him.

Then I packed my babysitting bag and went to spend four hours with my two little girlfriends so their mama can have a few hours at a baby shower of a friend. Then it was coming home to start processing 20 pounds of plum into chutney, which is happily cooking right now.

This will be a late night babysitting the chutney, so I am watching Fiddler on the roof as the wind i howling outside.

Running: 4 miles up Kermel grad. BTW, where is Troy?

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Marathon Maniac #957

today I ran my first half marathon since May 2008. I had a half marathon PR.

Just caught this - well done!

Here's what my Garmin recorded for the elevation for the loop of Germantown 50K:

Looks pretty wimpy next to Carolyn's.....Big grin

But seriously, this was just tougher than it looks, a constant up/down/up/down/up/down on rutted, rocky, root-ridden trails into and out of a ravine that follows a small river. My quads are feeling it today.

Looking at the results, even though it was a PW for me, I didn't feel so bad.  With a 4-loop course, there is always that temptation to quit after 3 loops when the going gets tough, so there were a fair share of DNFs.

There were 61 who started the race, 14 who DNF.

I was 9/16 women who started, 9/12 who finished

I was 39/61 who started, 39/47 who finished.

So, while I didn't do well, at least I didn't quit....

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."