Masters Running

My Boston RR (Read 258 times)

April 21, 2008 Boston Marathon Race Report I qualified for Boston at the Chevron Houston Marathon, January 13th, 2008 with a qualifying time of 3:33:59, roughly an 8:08 pace. Name: Tim, wa5yom (don’t pronounce it, just say the letters). Age: 55, BD January 9, 1953 17th Marathon since 1999. Best Marathon – Houston 2006, 3:33:25 Current Marathon Training pace – 7:48 Goal pace for Boston – 8:35 Boston Bib#: 13285 Wave #`, Corral #13. Training Summary I spent 24 weeks training for the 2008 Houston Chevron Marathon with t hopes of setting a sub-3:30 marathon. But it was not to be. I ran my first ultra a few weeks after Houston along with a ½ Marathon at Ft. Worth and the Red Bud Classic 10K in Oklahoma City. All the while I was nursing shin splints on my right shin, so with Boston on the Horizon and the need for both physical and mental recovery I decided to run Boston at a more negotiable pace. My main goal was to meet some friends, enjoy the race and see how close I could come to a 3:40 finish. Wednesday, April 16, 2008 Today was my final run before traveling to Boston. 7 miles with 2 at MP. I skipped the MP and concentrated on a training run. My right shins and hamstring were still causing problems. The weather predictions for April 21st look good, 46 degrees and 40% chance of light rain, 10-15mph headwind. Thursday April 17, 2008 Another rest day and time to pack. Friday, April 18, 2008 We left for DFW at 6:00 AM for an early morning flight, a major storm had just come through and the skies were ominous. When we arrived at the airport we boarded the shuttle and meet a guy from Plano, Texas (a suburb of Dallas) named Jeff. He was also on his way to Boston. It turned out that we were all on the same flight plan. The flight leaving Dallas was delayed and it was sleeting when we arrived for our layover in St. Louis. The St Louis flight to Boston was also delayed; the flight crew was late. Considering the flight delays it was amazing that we arrived in Boston 10 minutes early. We took the “T” to the Hynes Convention Center “T” station, got settled into our room and preceded to the expo. I gave btb 1490 a call and arranged to meet him at the “10000” Packet pickup station. It was great to meet Bob and CNYRunner (she was in the booth next to Bob). TV cameras followed me around the packet pick up area. Maybe I looked more like an elite runner that I realized? No, not quite. After meeting Bob I gathered up my Boston Technical shirt and made a quick tour through the expo. Afterwards we went to the Cheesecake Factory at the Prudential Center for a late dinner, and then it was time for bed. Saturday, April 19, 2008 We got up early and grabbed a bagel and went back to the Expo to get more goodies. It was a successful morning since I was able to keep the spending down. We made plans with Sue (norwor) and DH, Richard, to meet at the South Station (after Dana’s arrival) to spend the day at Rockport, a costal town about an hour to the east of Boston. Sue and Richard picked us up about noon and we were ready for a pleasant afternoon. Rockport is a quaint town nestled on the coast of Massachusetts. We visited on a nice day before the main tourist season and had lunch with a view of the ocean. Years ago granite was mined nearby and sent to NYC for construction purposes. We saw the old quarries along with beautiful sights of the ocean. It really made for a relaxing afternoon. Upon returning to Boston Dana went back to our room while we proceeded to the Boomer gathering at Amanda and Nate's apartment. It was a thrill to meet so many Boomer/Masters runners in person. The food and the company were second to none and as usual Boston Hospitality made us feel very welcome. Sunday, April 20, 2008 I was up at 6:30 AM and was quickly on my way to btb 1490's house where a Boomer gathering was preparing to watch the Women’s Olympic Trials. Again, the food and company were great. After a quick breakfast and Duncan Donut Coffee we left for a quick walk to the starting line. A few boomers went straight to the planned viewing area. After the start of the trials we all met and watched the rest of the race together. These women were awesome. It was amazing to watch them in motion. This is what it looks like to be an elite runner. #43 held the lead during most of the race until Deena Castor decided that it was time to make her move. She sprinted by like she had tons of horse power to spare and easily held the lead. #43 maintained her second place position. The real race was between 4th and 5th place. The crowd hollered “Joanie”, Joanie”, Joanie” every time Joan Samuelson passed by. At 50 she can still put most Male and Female runners to shame. We hung around until the last woman ran by then it was time for me to run a few miles and rest for tomorrows big day. Later that evening a bunch of us met at the Starbucks near the Big Top for the Pasta meal. I was interviewed again (I am not sure by whom). We sat outside in the cold wind: the food was fine but the company was better. We have had the pasta meal the last three years and it was always cold/windy and wet, so, I think we will fine a restaurant next year. Later that night I watched the weather report and it looks like a perfect running day ahead of us: 48 degrees at Hopkinton at 10:00 AM, 58 degrees at Heartbreak hill at 1:00PM. and 53 degrees in Boston: 10-15mph headwind and partly cloudy: slight chance of rain. PERFECT I hit the sack at 11:30 PM but nerves kept me awake: I think I slept about 4 hours. BRING IT ON!!!!!!! Monday, April 21, 2008 It was Monday morning and time for another BIG day in Boston. The alarm went off at 4:30 AM, time for a bagel, water, and a nice hot shower. It was overcast and a cold 43 degrees while I walked to the Hynes Convention Center “T” stop. I traveled to the Park Street “T” stop and meet a couple of friends from Ardmore at 6:00 AM. We rode the bus to Hopkinton together. The trip to Hopkinton was long and filled with excitement and anticipation. Everyone wondered what the day would bring. The busses dropped us off at the Athletes Village: we quickly found the porta-potties and then discovered a nice comfortable spot under the tent. It was COLD: shivering COLD. I planned on wearing a singlet but decided to change to a running “T”. We wondered if it would remain overcast during the entire race instead of the predicted partly cloudy skies. Would it ever warm up? Time sped by and by 9:00 AM we were walking toward the starting corrals. After one last potty stop we found our way to the corrals. At the place it the road where you turn right (toward the start) or left (toward the last few corrals) we came across another Ardmore runner. All four of us were now present and accounted. Not a bad representation from a small town of 23.5K. The National Anthem was sung, then gun sounded and we were heading toward another great adventure. The 2008 Boston Marathon had begun for the second wave. Mile 1 Split 8:34 Mile 2 Split 8:30 Mile 3 Split 8:20 Mile 4 Split 9:16 Mile 5 Split 8:21 It took a few miles to maintain a consistent pace and my mantra was: “Maintain Pace, not too fast”. The last thing to do here is to power down the hills. I concentrated on 3 steps a second and of course “hi-fiven” the kids. Mile 6 Split 8:16 Mile 7 Split 8:48 Mile 8 Split 8:29 Mile 9 Split 8:30 Mile 10 Split 8:39 I am in a groove now and feeling great. The crowds are so much larger than last year and it feels like they are making up for lost time. I feel great. At mile 6 I reach for my first PowerGel. I am drinking a lot: seems more than usual. Mile 11 Split 8:30 Mile 12 Split 8:36 Come on Wellesley!!!!, I can hear them from almost a half mile away. As I pass by I tell another runner, “If this can’t get your adrenaline up, then nothing can”. Mile 13 Split 8:15 Time for PowerGel #2. Mile 14 Split 8:24 Now my mind is concentrating on catching my family at the Woodlands. I stay to the right. Hi fives are the name of the game. A couple of times I hear someone call my first and last name. It must have been someone from Ardmore looking for their family. I can’t count the times I have heard my first name…And I can’t count the times I have heard “Go Izzy”. Izzy is right behind me. I just realized no shin problem today. YES!!! Mile 15 Split 8:40 Mile 16 Split 8:29 As I continue to move on toward the Woodlands I concentrate on watching the crowd to my right when suddenly I see Dana (DH) and my DW, A quick smile and I am on my way up the Newton Hills. Legs don’t fail me now. Mile 17 Split 8:44 Mile 18 Split 8:28 Mile 19 Split 8:47 I feel great as I climb the hills. I have been here before and know what to expect. Just get over Heartbreak then I am home free. I move to the left side of the road and am trying to find the Boomer crowd. Mile 20 Split 8:45 The Hills are behind me but I never found the Boomer crowd, Sorry, it sure would have been nice. PowerGel #3 Mile 21 Split 8:01 The Boston College students seem louder than previous years and this is where I have the best of times. Hi-fives by the dozens and it feels like my name is being chanted as I pass. The adrenaline rush helps over shadow the right hamstring cramp that is starting to appear. Mile 22 Split 8:59 Mile 23 Split 10:16 I am feeling great when all of a sudden that hamstring cramps and stops me dead in my tracks right nest to a Light post. I stopped, bent over and began massaging it. A girl walked up to me with a pitiful look, “Can I do something for you”. She handed me some water and I pulled out one more PowerGel. I thanked her and almost felt worse for her than myself. Time to try and move on. Mile 24 Split 9:14 I have managed to get back to a reasonable pace and the cramp and its affects have passed. I am back in the groove. Mile 25 Split 8:29 Feeling good and picking up the pace, YES!!!! Mile 26.2 Split 9:55 I make the last turn to the finish line and see Dana reaching her hand out over the fence. Then, that stinking cramp starts to come back. I guess I should have no picked up the pace. Now all I want to do is get across the finish line with out walking. I slow down and anyone could tell that my right leg was giving ne a problem. I thought to myself, just get across the line. Just get to the finish and hold off this cramp. Yes…..finally, I made it across and then the cramp fades away. Results: Pace 8:44 Official Time:3:48:47 Overall :11677 Gender :8255 Division :1459 IT WAS A GREAT DAY!!!!! Summary Like they say…it is the journey not the final destination and Boston is just a BIG part of the Journey for me of which I am privileged to participate. For me, participating in this event is second to none. The experience makes you feel like a King, Thanks to everyone for helping me get here and special thanks to Sue and Richard, Bob, Craig and Harriet and the rest of the gang. Everyone one of made this a special event. And above all…remember….Have FUN!!!!! You’re a great bunch, thanks and good running to all. Tim, Ardmore, OK.

King of PhotoShop

I believe you have a sub 3:30 on the right day. You have certainly done the work. I'm sorry about the cramp, but it seems from your report that you had a wonderful experience. Thanks for sharing it with us. See you soon I hope. Spareribs
      evanflein

I hate cramps. You maintained a pretty good pace in spite of it though... That was really good news that your shin was ok, maybe the worst is behind you on that? I agree Tim, the journey is the thing and Boston is all part of it. Wasn't if fun being treated like royalty though? Wow, that town really loves the marathoners, that much was obvious... Ribs is right... you're got a sub 3:30 easy. I always look at your training stats to use for reference, and its been really helpful. So thanks, Tim!
          Tim, awesome report on a well run race! As Ribs said, you've definately put in the work. The 3:30 is just around the corner. We were tracking you as you ran the Boston.
          Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
          stumpy77

Trails are hard!

Tim--it was a pleasure to meet you Sunday morning. Glad you made it through the cramps and finished well. Sure hope to see you again next year. Kevin

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

seemomgo

Hi Tim! Gosh you have such a consistant pace - with so little fluctuation. Amazing ! Sorry about the cramping, but your attitude about the journey is so spot on! Good for you.
                GREAT RACE TIM Thanks for this report. I had been waiting to see what you would say. If it had not been for that cramp, it would have been an interesting time for sure. Thanks for the reminder that the process is what it is all about. Congratulations on a great Boston. Joey
                Vista
                  WTG, Tim. You toughed it out. Great pacing through those dreaded Newton Hills! It was nice to see you briefly at the Trials. You have such a great attitude; I'm sure you'll achieve any goal you set for yourself.
                    nice job Tim - you ran a great race despite the cramps!! so glad you enjoyed Boston!!

denise

SteveP

Tim, Your RR was well worth the wait. Thanks. It sounds like an expoerience rather than an event.

SteveP

Renee the dog

Congratulations! Thanks for the report -- it's so fun to read each one!!!

GOALS 2012: UNDECIDED

GOALS 2011: LIVE!!!

btb1490

Tim, after 17 marathons, you are still just excited about running them as you were for your first one! You are a true lover of running and all that goes along with it. It was fun to run a bit with you out there and share in your excitement, and great to meet you and your family. Good luck with your nagging injuries, I'm glad the shin didn't bother you. See you in NY hopefully! Thanks for the great report, and congratulations on a fine Boston!
                            17 marathons and Boston on less than ideal legs and you still have a great time. You are one of a few that could pull that off. Congrats on yet another Marathon. Larry

Chumbawamba: I get knocked down But I get up again You're never going to keep me down

Head Procrastinator

Ouch Tim, sorry about that cramp. But it sounds like you enjoyed the race nonetheless and had a fun weekend in Boston with family and friends. It was nice meeting you and DW again. Keep in touch for NYC, last year some folks got together Saturday for lunch and I'd like to do it again. Barb
                              ~ My Profile~ The avatar is happy BOC wootcats
                                Hey Tim - Sounds like you had a great experience.... I also agree that a 3:30 is ahead for you. How is you hamstring doing now... I had been having similar problems in training (good long runs and then bad hamstring pain toward the end). FWIW, the Tinman (from CoolRunning) had recommended salt tablets to stave off cramps - I've used them for my last couple of marathons and I think they help. (I took 3 at Boston because it was getting hot). Anyways, great race and great report...made me feel like I was there. Ray