Masters Running

Last Call 5K RR (PR) (Read 393 times)

Exactly three weeks ago I ran my first 5K since 2005. (In 2006 and 2007 I was away on a military deployment.) My time in that July 29 race was 21:10, which I was pretty sure I could beat if I ran another 5K. So tonight I drove to Lowell, Massachusetts, with Dark Colt riding shotgun. He didn't run, but he held my keys and glasses during the race. The Last Call 5K was the seventh and last 5K race of a summer series, all sponsored by an Irish bar called Hookslide Kelly's in downtown Lowell. The bar's logo depicts an oldtime baseball player making a hook slide into a base. Spareribs is old enough to know what a hookslide is. After the race, Dark Colt and I had dinner in the bar with a couple of hundred other people: mostly racers and their hangers-on. Anyway, I know you will all want a detailed blow-by-blow of this race, complete with my sophisticated analysis. MILE 1 Total elapsed time on my watch: 3:49 The first mile was pretty speedy, but I could already tell it wasn't going to be a fast course, because of numerous twists and turns and ups and downs, many of them on a walking path along the Merrimack River. It was hard to pass people in the narrow places. Once I simply pushed my way between two men who were running elbow to elbow. "Sorry," I said. At the first mile marker, I checked my watch: 3:49. My first thought was, "Damn, I'm good," but then I realized the time wasn't changing. I must have hit my watch by accident during the first mile, perhaps while pushing between those two men. Despite the speedy time of 3:49 for my first mile, I still felt pretty good. MILE 2 Total elapsed time on my watch: 3:49 At the second mile marker, I checked my watch again. However, it still read 3:49, which was not useful. I began to get pretty tired during this mile. I'm sure I ran slower during mile 2. I think I crossed some bridges over the Merrimack River. Also I ran along some highways, hoping the cars wouldn't hit me from behind. MILE 3 Total elapsed time on my watch: 3:49 Plodding along the unfamiliar course, I never saw the marker for mile 3. I had two main problems in this race: not knowing my pace, and not knowing where I was on the course. LAST 0.1 MILE Total elapsed time on my watch: 3:49 Two guys passed me during the last 0.1 mile, which I never would have let them do if I had known it was the last 0.1 mile. However, since I hadn't seen the mile 3 marker, and I didn't know where the finish was, I let them go. The last 0.1 mile was on a boardwalk along the Merrimack River. To my chagrin, I saw the big digital timer at the finish line hit 20:00 as I was approaching. I crossed the line at 20:10. The official results were posted back at the bar. My stats: 20:10 (6:30 mile pace); 21/174 overall; 7/24 in M40-49. My time was exactly one minute faster than my 5K three weeks ago. I know I can run faster than I ran tonight. However, it was a PR by 16 seconds. My last 5K in 2005, before I went away for a year and a half, was 20:26. Because I only run 15 miles per week, I don't have a lot of strength. I think I need to work on my pacing, and it would help if my watch didn't stop during the race. Running these local courses more than once will help me, too, so I get to know where the mile markers are, when to kick, stuff like that. Dark Horse
    I'm a dark horse, running on a dark race course.

King of PhotoShop

With a time like that, you need to take care of that knee and see about getting under 20. That is a very speedy time. Well done. Spareribs
        WOW!!! You are a very speedy horse...great time and congrats on the PR!!
        Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
        SteveP

Great to see a Dark Horse RR. Your time is very powerful!

SteveP

HermosaBoy

I thought you ran a 3:49? Big grin I agree with Ribs (did I really say that?), take care of that knee and get under 20 -- I predict 19:2X...

And you can quote me as saying I was mis-quoted. Groucho Marx

Rob

I dunno. You're fast. You could undoubtedly be faster. I'm just happy to be reading your postings again. Mile markers and watches that actually record time are useful tools.

aka Mrs. WillRunForBeer, MD, USA

Marathoning, the triumph of desire over reason

Good to see you posting again Dark Horse, and congrats on a great race. As the others have said, take care of that knee and you'll be well under 20:00 in no time. Wink
                huskydon

Good job! With a working watch and mile markers, you go sub 20 easy. I enjoyed your report. huskydon

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Great job and congrats on the PR! Nice to see you posting again too. ~Mary

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Great racing Dark Horse. Come back here in December and run the Hot Chocolate 5k with me. You'll be way in front this time, but at least I can say hello at the start! Good job and I hope the miles keep feeling better. It's nice that you and Dark Colt had a good adventure. Karin
                        It's wonderful having a DH RR to read. You sure did well with your PR. It's especially meaningful that you did it without knowing your time or location during the race. Congratulations. TomS
                        wildchild

Carolyn

I loved your sophisticated analysis! Big grin Great race, nice PR, and funny RR. Thanks! We've missed you here, and are glad you're back.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

How do you run so fast with only 15 miles per week? I'm kind of impressed. Glad you are running again. Smile

"During a marathon, I run about two-thirds of the time. That's plenty." - Margaret Davis, 85 Ed Whitlock regarding his 2:54:48 marathon at age 73, "That was a good day. It was never a struggle."

Hey DH! Long time, no see. Congratulations on the great race. I'm not predicting anything, but I'm glad to see you're still running and taking advantage of those long legs.
                              evanflein

Plodding along at 6:30 minute mile pace... hmmm, sense a bit of a disconnect here. You are one speedy pony when all the parts hold together. Nice race, Tim, and very cool that you and Dark Colt got to hang out for a bit. I haven't been able to get mine to do that sort of thing yet...