Masters Running

Tues Oct 7th Daily (Read 556 times)

The Jogger

Morning Gang Went out for what seemed like a slog jog although the HR was good, head a bit bunged up so felt a bit breathless. Still it was wet and windy and did the 5 miles I wanted for today, also first run in 3 days due to work and union commitments..........Oh and woody was so muddy when he came back so it was a good rub down for him, parts of the trail were like a stream...... Anyway: 5m 56:39 @ 11:20 pace AHR 143 65% Good Runs All Roy

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning Roy!! Nice 5 miles with Woody this morning. I'm sure he loved the rub down!! SteveP - we had a great time last weekend. Our campground was right on Lake Leelenau and B'Nellie loved going swimming despite the cold, cold water. We toured my favorite winery and DH bought be a case of my favorite Reisling. It did get a little chilly early Sunday morning however, when our propane tank(s) ran out. I was thinking of you this morning Tim-Bo and hope you report that your leg is feeling fine this morning! I'm also happy to know you will step in and call me lazy when needed! Wink Brinkley and I were out for 4 cool miles this morning. Temps were in the mid-high 40's with a light wind out of the North. It has been a long time since we ran the shorter 4 mile loop - Brinkley wasn't quite sure where we were heading! A little speedier today - 9:33 avg. pace - 157 avg. hr. Happy 2s-day!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
      It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone... Nice runs this morning Roy and Mary... Head bunged up Roy Confused Ok, no slacker award for Mary this morning Smile. Nice pace, and after watching your HR for awhile, it is getting lower the fitter you get...WTG. I limped around all day yesterday, so there was NOOO way I could run last night. Still a little sore this morning, but the calf and leg pain does feel better...thank goodness. I think after my 1/2M PR last Weds with a track workout, and runs after that caught up with me. Then Sat I pushed through on a tough 20 miler on tired - heavy legs, then 10 more on Sun. I imagine that what a bit too much (shouldn't have been)..but knowing when to push through, or not is tricky while training for a Marathon for the first time. I think I will be able to run easy tonight, but will have to watch speed work till my pain is gone. Boy, sooo many RR's and so little time to read and respond. I am trying to get to all of them, and want to say GREAT JOB to all our racers...you all rock Slept in a little this morning and a little late getting to work..so better get with it. Have a great day, Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Tim, just remember, Marathon training is harder than the race, especially the last few big weeks. Take it easy a few days and you'll be good as new. Nice runs Roy and Mary. This morning I ran 9 miles with 6 x 1/2 mile repeats - 90 secs rest between. The repeats came in at: 3:47 (7:34) 3:40 (7:20) 3:41 (7:22) 3:42 (7:24) 3:32 (7:04) 3:35 (7:10) But ... then during the cool down I was running along in the dark and took a big tumble - doing my best 56 year old impression of a Olympic Gymnast - to scores of 3's and 4's all around. I've got road rash all over the place. But I may have broken my left hand or left pinky finger as it took all the force as I landed on it hard. I have an all day meeting I have to go to. But if it stills hurts like this later, some X-rays are in order. Gymnast Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

I limped around all day yesterday, so there was NOOO way I could run last night. Still a little sore this morning, but the calf and leg pain does feel better...thank goodness. I think after my 1/2M PR last Weds with a track workout, and runs after that caught up with me. Then Sat I pushed through on a tough 20 miler on tired - heavy legs, then 10 more on Sun. I imagine that what a bit too much (shouldn't have been)..but knowing when to push through, or not is tricky while training for a Marathon for the first time. I think I will be able to run easy tonight, but will have to watch speed work till my pain is gone.
            Nice runs Roy and Mary. Hey Tim BE CAREFUL, I can't stress this enough...I know been there and done that! It is better to ease off just a bit than to push it and come down with a serious injury. It would take a prolonged layoff for you to suffer any setbacks after all of your great training, but an injury now wouldn't bode well for that upcoming marathon. Several years ago while still new at this marathon stuff I did Maine and then the Marine Corps Marathon a few weeks later and pushed too hard right after Maine..I felt a little niggle in my calf and should have listened to it but didn't...needless to say I had a bit of a strain and suffered through my one and only 4 plus hour marathon that year...I vowed to never let that happen again. Hope your leg feels better today.

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Owie Byll!!! I have to say, your typing hasn't suffered at all with your injured hand. Seriously though, I hope it is nothing serious! Listen to Mainerunnah Tim - you've worked too hard to mess it up now!!

~Mary

~unknown

Tramps

Wildchild/ njjoe – those pumpkins are hilarious. Kathybad—welcome! Franc59—why don’t we see you in the daily thread? (Nice race!) Tim—take it easy there. You are so close to an awesome race but you’ve got to get there healthy. Byll—ouch! Hope it’s nothing serious. Tempo Tuesday. 10 miles total with 6 in the middle at tempo pace (7:28). 47F this morning, our coolest this season. Have a good one.

Be safe. Be kind.

Hill Runner

Good morning all, Tramps, you are really smokin' lately... 10.13 miles of hills @ 9:00 pace in IRC this morning. Felt sproinky. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                  Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                  Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #957

Breger wrote:
                    I just love choir so much.
                    I love it, too, Bill. One of the main reasons we chose our church is because of the music part of the service. It’s incredible how moving and uplifting music worship can be. Bummer about your tumble today, and I hope your there are no broken bones. Sad Roy – that’s the part I hate, the muddy-dog mess..... Tim – glad your leg is feeling better, but take it easy, like Mainerunnuh said. A few days off are not going to hurt you at this point in your training – you already have so much in the bank. Don’t be afraid to back off tonight if you need more time. Tramps – jeesh, you’re smoking’ fast! Continuing fabulous weather there, clear and 53 degrees for my run this morning. This may be the longest spell of great weather I’ve ever seen here – 70’s in the daytime, 40/50’s at night. The first time in 14 sports seasons that we have not been rained out of a single game or practice. Similar to Breger’s workout (but much slower), today I ran 8.55 miles with 6 x 1/2-mile repeats with a 2-minute recovery in between. Intervals were: 4:13 (8:26) 4:14 (8:28) 4:15 (8:30) 4:17 (8:34) 4:19 (8:38) 4:18 (8:36) A little faster than last week, so I feel good about the progress. SR said that the effects of these workouts are cumulative, though, so I don’t feel the need to increase anything yet. Amazing, though, how the first one feels SO HARD (how can I possibly do SIX of these?), but then the second one is like cruising, not exactly effortless, but reasonable. I nearly didn’t do the last repeat, because on the 5th one I was feeling that familiar ache growing in my hip/groin/pelvis and was worried that I might be about to tear those tendons again, but after a recovery jog it seemed to be better, so I finished it out and it seemed fine. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Good morning everyone. 7.5 miles this morning, 9:35 pace. 56F and windy, which is a warm early morning temp for this time of the year. Roy - have you not been feeling well, or is it allergies? Are you the head of a union? You might have posted this at some time but I missed it. Mary - nice run with Brinkley the wonder dog this morning. How's that tapering going for you? Sounds like you had a great anniversary weekend. Is the Reisling made locally? Tim - sounds like maybe another rest day wouldn't be such a bad idea. You don't want to risk injury so close to your marathon. Breger - get that hand checked! Didn't you just have to take your wife in for a broken bone in her foot? Glad your injuries weren't more serious, but there's nothing more painful than a good case of road rash. Nice sproinky runs to Tramps and Peter. I need some new running shoes, and I'd like to conduct a survey to see what everyone is wearing. I've been running in Asic Nimbus' forever, but the last pair I got has caused blisters that don't seem to go away. I'm a mid foot striker, looking for more of a shoe with a good cushion and don't think stability is a big problem (5'3, 121 lbs). Any advice? I'd like to go to a great running store like Timbo went to, unfortunately we don't have one of those here. Just curious to see what y'all are wearing. Have a great day, Jeanne
                        A hectic day yesterday. Just after I finished posting to the forum, the contractor who was working on a roof repair for us fell off, two stories to the brick patio. I was so glad that I was home and heard him crying out. It could have been a lot worse, but he definitely had some severe injuries. I had never dialed 911 before, but they arrived within just a few minutes and I did my best to comfort the poor kid until they arrived. When his older partner (who had been away getting materials) returned, he told me that the guy had been an apprentice for about a year and this was the first time that he had left him alone on a job to see how he would do. Anyway, it had me shaken up a bit and I woke up a couple times last night thinking about it. ------------ Bill: That road rash can be pretty annoying, eh? I hope you didn't fracture anything; better have it looked at to make sure. A major injury recovery milestone: I was two miles into this morning's run when my friend mentioned something about my leg being recovered, and I realized that I hadn't thought about it at all up until then. You know you're over it when you forget that you had it. Anyway, 3.5 miles at an easy pace. Have to remember to switch to the all-weather shoes, as running in wet grass in my summer shoes gets my toes wet and cold.

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

{{{Bill}}} 6 easy...
                          Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
                          Mariposai

Rest day today. Gordon, check your gmail address. Waiting for you at our house for pasta dinner on Friday night. Wink

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Oh my Doug - that is very scary! Such a good thing that you were home when it happened. I love your new Avatar too!

~Mary

~unknown

Marathon Maniac #957

Just curious to see what y'all are wearing.
                                Saucony Trigon Rides - I've been wearing them for years. I go back and try on different ones at the shoe store every year or so, but I keep ending up with these. Light on my feet and wide enough at the toe box that they don't pinch my pinky toe. I still get blisters occasionnally, though, underneath my toenails, usually the 2 middle toes (this is why they sometimes fall off). It's not that the shoes don't have room at the end (I buy them a half-size too big), but I think they hit the top of the shoes. Either that or I curl my toes slightly when I run. As a matter of fact, I lost another toenail this morning - my first since the spring marathons. I feel like a runner again. Big grin Roch - pretty scary.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."