Masters Running

So glad it's Friday! 4.15.16 (Read 35 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Holly, that was a great story about the marathon yesterday! At our Seacoast Half in November, a few of us (and the race timers) always wait for the last finisher with a bottle of water and their finisher's medal, and we cheer them across the finish line. Everyone who goes the distance (and it may be harder to be at the back of the pack than the front) deserves the recognition.

I hope you've got your power back, Tammy. That sounds like it was a heck of a wind!

I'm glad you got some 'delightful' into your commute yesterday, Tet.

How's the neck, Enke?

Thanks for the rabbit clarification, Leslie. So far, so good with just the cat and me, but we're just beginning day 2 on our own.

Sorry about the Hot Spots and the FEGs, TW. I also didn't know they could do that - I always thought they were just annoying, but not dangerous.

Deeze, I won't find out which corral I'm in till I show up on Monday. But I'll try to walk up and find you before things get lively. I hope you had a great run from Fenway to the finish line this morning - what a great stretch to run

More good running and walking, Tselbes.

Good job with the female employee and the customers, Steve. You should have let Tag try to bring that stick home...

4.6 RW miles this morning in 34F temps, and under clear, moonless, star-filled skies. I had planned to go further (or should it be farther?), but I had no mojo, so I went back home for an early cup 'a joe.

I'm really looking forward to racing with Aamos and her DH, Stumpy, and whoever else will be in Watertown on Sunday morning. Having another racewalker there changes the race in a great sort of way, so I'm happy about that too. I figure I might be coaching Aamos' DH along the way, or maybe he'll be coaching me! I'm also still hoping to make it to Lir  in the afternoon to connect with the rest of the crew that will be racing on Monday.

Good luck, fleet feet, big grins, and tail winds to everyone racing this weekend and Monday:

04/16 pfriese - Remember the Ten 10K, Stillwater OK

04/16 runnerclay--Running Dead 50k

04/16 spinach - Earthday Half Marathon, St Cloud MN

04/17 Stumpy77 - Watertown Police 5k, Watertown, MA

04/17 Coastwalker - Watertown Police 5K, Watertown, MA

04/17 milktruck - Boys/Girls Club Patriots Day 5-Miler, Portland ME

04/17 tetsujin - Seahawks 12K (Seattle) - barefoot

04/17 Ileneforward - Run the Ocean 10k, LB CA

04/18 rtravers - Boston Marathon, Boston MA

Meanwhile, have a greta Friday!

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

...mornin' jay//...........here's a Handy Bunion Taping How-To if anyone needs it

http://www.sportsinjuryclinic.net/sport-injuries/foot-heel-pain/bunions/bunion-taping

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Slo

Howdy all !

Getting caught up here.

I've been fighting an injury...not a running injury and not sure what's going on. I get hit with a sharp pain at random deep in my hip and it's like I completely lose strength in that leg. It's very fleeting when it happens but it can happen three or four times in 5 minutes. Today I ran 6+ miles without issue. Yesterday I had to cut my run short.

Anywhoo...I think I will be switching from the Marathon to the half for Green Bay.

Holly, I bet that first time marathon loved what you did. Pretty cool.

Sayhey! MM#130

Hiya!

Holly, I meant to post yesterday but y'know.  Anyway, Tara did that in Charleyboy, well, ran with a first timer and finished with her.   Thanks again for introducing us.  IT was such fun seeing her in Clearwater in January.

Jay, DH is thrilled to be able to see you in action.  He is very unassuming and doesn't want you to go slow or change anything for him.  We'll be arriving with marj and henrun, the team's loyal cheering squad.  I think it will be warmer than last year's.  Thanks so much for signing up and wanting to do it.  It will be interesting to run in Watertown.

And our very own marj is running Boston!

Slo, that sounds sort of eerie.   How long has it been going on?  Sounds like something even I, doctorphobe that I am, would as least see a Physical Therapist about.

Yikes!  In 24 hours, we'll be in Boston.    Must run, heh heh.  grins, A.

p.s.--

Hey out there, all youse superheroes!  Look what we have going on April 23, in Naples, just south of FM:

https://agratefullifedotnet.wordpress.com/  (for a piece or two of my mind)

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

And our very own marj is running Boston!

I forgot about that!!  I know you'll do great!

Looking forward to Sunday for both Watertown and the Lir.  busy RA day.  Unfortunately, both work and life have intruded and my day off for the marathon is now being repurposed for a trip to CT on Monday and a funeral on Tuesday .

3.8 miles this morning at 33°.  Shorts again, but my legs were sort of "are you crazy?"  Maybe if I had noticed the frost on some of the lawns, I might have relented.  Felt good by the end, though.  Hope it won't be too warm on Sunday.

I forgot--Happy Birthday, Amy, you speedy lady, you!

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

TammyinGP

our power came back on yesterday afternoon, so we were only without for about 20 hrs.  We've gone as long as 4-5 days though, in the middle of winter, so this was nothing really.  just a minor inconvenience.

poison oak is mostly handled. a few patches are a bit itchy but overall it's healing up. Should be 100% under control by the time I run Lost Creek Lake Trail Run next weekend . . . and let's just say one of the items in your goodie bag is a bar of Technu soap 

David is off school today, so what does he do?? gets up at 5:15 a.m. to go play basketball with a bunch of 50-70 yr olds at the mormon church gym. Our neighbor goes a few mornings a week and one of the other guys who goes is David's calculus teacher and apparently, his teacher was giving him a hard time about not coming to play basketball much anymore. lol.  I thought 16 yr old boys slept in til noon on their days off?

will get in a run after work. then volunteering at a sprint triathlon tomorrow, then a long run on Sunday.

Tammy

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Happy birthday speedy goddess

Have a fun Boston with marj, robin, et al

runners along with all the RA volunteers. .

I get hit with a sharp pain at random deep in my hip and it's like I completely lose strength in that leg. It's very fleeting when it happens but it can happen three or four times in 5 minutes.

Slo - sorry to say so here but I think it really sounds an awful lot like

what would make you seem to be getting older if I said what it might be.

This morning’s five running miles at yesterday’s same 48-degrees

were a repeat of the recent ones too except for a more uniform cloud cover.
                Steve - since I know what happens when it happens, it’s actually very stupid but, when I’m running up in GS-land, it somehow feels better to be carrying a big stone in my hand to break as many teeth as possible as I shove it down the foaming throat of any rampaging bear I’ve inadvertently disturbed.  I don’t have a dog to run with up there anymore but I’m always loudly calling out my former pets’ names to try to avoid the surprise factor.  I hope you don’t see any either.
                ps - don’t worry, I’m sure none of the goddesses’ll ever tease ,

I mean, ask you about your marital status.
                enkie/gigi only -

if your bus comes down I-90 anyway, maybe we can meet at the Mercer Island Park-and-Ride sometime around 7:30 am or something and track my route across the floating bridge and up through Daejong Sister-City Park along the base of Beacon Hill to go across the bridge over Dearborn where I’ll go down to the ID and you’ll already be about half way up Capitol/First Hill.  It adds about a half mile to the plague-spots along on Rainier/Dearborn but it’s worth the peace.  However, for some reason, I was assuming you were coming over on the I-520 floating bridge.
                ps STP - I don’t think I could do the 112 mile IM distance
                I guess I was thinking of let alone the 204-mile STP. 
                Maybe three days.  
                RIDE-AROUND-MT.-RAINIER-IN-ONE-DAY
                However, unlike relative safety of the STP’s 10,000 riders highly visible to traffic, RAMROD is very risky on narrow, virtually shoulderless Mt. Rainier roads with sharp, 180-degree turns on steep grades that not only thin out the limited field but also incite riders (and drivers) to sometimes very excessive speeds. Maybe try to find something else for Mr. BE to do that weekend.  

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

HAPPY, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, AMY!!!

Slo - Bursa sac inflamed, maybe?  A few years ago, The Hub had an inflamed bursa in his hip that put him down for the count for over a week.   Extremely painful.  He was in PT for awhile and basically on couch rest as it hurt too bad to walk.  It was one those things that happened almost instantaneously.

Here ya go, Tammy.  Treating Exposure to Poison Oak.  You may want to keep this in your arsenal. 

TW - Here's an article I recently read on prevention of blisters.  Paper Tape Can Help Prevent Foot Blisters.

Good luck to all our racers!

6 chilly predawn miles under a clear sky.  Beautiful morning.  Miles 3 and 4 were supposed to be at HM pace (whatever that is, since I haven't run a HM in years), but were definitely too fast to sustain over 13.1 miles.  That being said, I was surprised to see I hit them both at 8:47 as it felt like the 2nd miles was slower.  It was definitely uncomfortable running, but not horrible.

Tomorrow it'll be 16 at Prairie Creek National Park.  A beautiful place, and if we're lucky we'll run into some elk (not literally.  that would probably make me poop my pants.)

Have a great weekend ~~

Leslie
                  Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Dave59

I got back from NYC yesterday. We cut across Manhattan again so I am becoming quite the expert. Went from the Queens Midtown Tunnel to the Lincoln Tunnel without any issues.  13 hours on the road was a little tiring.

Today it hit 70° so I went to the park and ran 3.

Here is a new super hero that I came across today in the Speed Bump cartoon. Seems relevant to some posts earlier in the week.

http://assets.amuniversal.com/1d73bfd0d9d501334ee7005056a9545d

...thanks fatozzig//....I wish it were only a blister.....

''A bunion is a deformity of the big toe. A bunion is a toe that points at a sideways angle towards your second toe. There is also a characteristic bump on the inner side of the foot.''

so

basically I rubbed the Skin off the Bump

..................slo//.........maybe an X-Ray to see what's going on??

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

...thanks fatozzig//....I wish it were only a blister.....

''A bunion is a deformity of the big toe. A bunion is a toe that points at a sideways angle towards your second toe. There is also a characteristic bump on the inner side of the foot.''

so

basically I rubbed the Skin off the Bump

..................slo//.........maybe an X-Ray to see what's going on??

I also use kinesio tape on my hot spots, but I have to put it on with benzoin or it won't stay if my feet get wet.  One or the other may be worth a try next time . . . once the skin has grown back.

Love the cartoon, Dave!!

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

evanflein

There are days I could use that superhero!

CNYrunner is running Boston, too. I think Monday will be a particularly unproductive day here. I sure miss the gatherings we used to have. I realize they're still happening but I won't be there. 

Leslie, sounds like a simple thing to try. I always get a blister on the top of my middle toe on my right foot. I think it's from a joint deformity that makes the toe kind of fold on itself. Hard to explain, but the blister isn't from rubbing on the shoe it's from rubbing on itself. Yeah, weird feet, I know. It does help to have a bandaid on there to help keep the toe straighter, but those come off or roll up easily. The tape might work.

Glad to hear you're healing up, Tammy. That poison oak sounds awful. And David is definitely not your typical 16 year old boy. Good for him! GL in your race next weekend.

Slo, I'm thinking bursitis, too. I get that and yowza it can be painful. I've done some reading on it though, and you can't really hurt anything by continuing to run on it, so I just run through it. Some people have their bursas removed with no ill effects. I've considered that.

Steve P, any employer would be grateful for a conscientious employee like you. I hope they recognize what they have in you and compensate accordingly. And let Tag have the stick, will ya?

Another nice day here, nary a cloud in the sky and temps are in the mid-40's. I'll venture out for a short run this afternoon after I get through some assigned reading..... I'm not feeling very motivated though.

Aamos, happy birthday.

This morning, it was in the low 30s and calm.  I ran a mile in 10:45 and kept going walking.  I walked 3 miles at a 13:15 pace.

A good day and good runs for all.

TomS

Marathon Maniac #957

Happy Birthday Amy!

Go Boston Runners!

Leslie - I use kinesio tape on my right foot big toe knuckle, where I have the beginnings of a bunion, darn it, and it really helps.

Okay, so, after a year and a half of bone grafting and implant treatment stuff, I finally got my three upper back teeth.  I can't tell you how wonderful it is - I can eat nuts again!  And I can smile big for the camera without worrying about the gap showing.  And I can throw the dreaded partial denture away.  The only worry I have is that the 3-tooth bridge in my upper row is not quite as solid as it should be.  Two years of taking the brunt of chewing has been hard on it.  I just hope it holds out a couple more years while we recover from the cost of the new teeth.  While I borrowed the money from my stepdad for the implants and bone grafting, and he is giving me a very gentle pay off plan, the crowns I got today still set me back $2700.  But oh, to be able to chew again...  You don't know what it means until you don't have it any more.

7 slow and gentle miles for me this morning in  degrees.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

Yay, Holly!!!    Here's to being able to chew properly!!

Leslie
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance