Masters Running

Thurs Masters Runs, Workouts and Fun Stuff (Read 561 times)

Marathon Maniac #3309

Sorry Bill Smile....I waited for someone else to start, then I pushed the post button to see you did the same thing about 1 minute later. First, let me say...Erika, I ate the paste last Mon night 10 easy miles last night - 1:28:45 - 8:53 ave pace I had a track workout planned last night, and I am always hell bent doing them...period. Running to the track I knew my HR was high, but sometimes that is the case till we warm up. When I got to the track I stopped and pondered my planned workout...then I thought about Monday night. I pushed my start button and everything felt sooo very wrong! I stopped at about 200 meters and was NOT going to continue on....good for me, huh? Last year, I would have posted something like...Tim, you are a worthless human being and runner, and have no business to be trying to run a Marathon.....nope not this time. This run was perfect because it showed me where I am at training wise, and using my head....a perfect run really. The gift I thought...what a wonderful thing that I can run, but it does have it's ups and downs sometimes. I switched my Garmin to miles and had a pleasurable run home through Ball State University. I then went to the pool where the divers were practicing, and looked for the diving coach Slo talked about....boy, was she hawt Slo. I asked her about you Slo, and I had to describe you by your profile pic, and when you show up to swim and such. She lifted her eye brow and thought for a minute. She then said Ohhhh....you mean "stubby" we call him "stub" for short (ok, that is funny no matter who you are) Big grin Best run of 2009 was last night...because I listened to my head, instead of my heart. When I left the track I bent down and patted it and said, I will be back ya know... The point being...I ran a good 10 mile tempo run Mon night. With DOMS, that would hit me last night....it did, and will not do that again. But consider I got my "speed" workout in for the week. TimBo PS: while using the porta pot....remember to lock the door from the inside while going potty...very embarrassing to say the least Embarrassed Big grin

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Nice job Tim. Maybe Spareribs was wrong about you after all. You are trainable ... Wink By the way, there's no way on God's green earth that is anywhere near Tempo pace for you. But a good easy run nonetheless. Good morning everyone. Today was Tempo Day for me so 7 miles altogether with the middle 5 miles at Tempo pace. I was supposed to run 7:59 min/mile pace but as I was running it I figured I was going a bit quicker than that. Sure enough: 8:14 7:57 7:50 7:45 7:34 I tried to pretend this was the last 10K of a race and kept at it. Those last 2 Tempo miles were darn close to what I ran 1/2 mile Repeats at on Tuesday. (I was telling TimBo the other day that I suck at speedwork. Proof here. Tempos are a different story though.) Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

Morning, gentlemen! Nice tempo run, Tim! Also wise words about the porta potty - I see depositis interruptis pretty regularly at races. Another good tempo run by Brueger (isn't there a bagel place with that name??) Eliz - rear ended??? No serious inujuries - to you or the car - I hope! On the subject of Philly - no offense to any Philiites out there, but it wasn't the best place we've been for pre- and post-race gnoshing. Maybe we were just in a bad area for restaurants, but the best place we found was the Marketplace next to the Convention Center. The Expo in conjunction with the marathon wasn't bad, but it wasn't anything special either. With a gray day and rain on the way, I started on the treadmill this morning. Half a mile into the run, I caught a glimpse of the weather forecast and heard the weatherman say - "no activity in New London". Good enough for me as I leapt off the treadmill and headed for the door. 6 tempo miles on a relatively flat run - 59 degrees, windy, overcast and wonderful to be on the road. AHR 166. Good runs everybody!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Slo

I switched my Garmin to miles and had a pleasurable run home through Ball State University. I then went to the pool where the divers were practicing, and looked for the diving coach Slo talked about....boy, was she hawt Slo. I asked her about you Slo, and I had to describe you by your profile pic, and when you show up to swim and such. She lifted her eye brow and thought for a minute. She then said Ohhhh....you mean "stubby" we call him "stub" for short (ok, that is funny no matter who you are) Big grin
          Big grin I'm LMAO Tim......I know your just kidding though cause she won't be there till Friday.... Clowning around Knocked out an easy 6+ last night followed by an 8+ on auto pilot this morning. They don't happen enough but those runs where you just lose yourself, the time, your surrondings.....that was this morning. My head would grab onto a random thought and just run with it. The secound hand swept of minutes and the miles clicked by. I woke from my stupor just in time to make my turn home. One of those runs where the only thought left is...."Damn.......Good run." Tim......BTW, this was my favorit part: "She lifted her eye brow and thought for a minute. She then said Ohhhh"
            Bit of an "oopsie" this morning. I'm supposed to be coming back slowly from my injury and so far have been patient and not gotten crazy. Started with a 30 minute run then a 35, then back to 30. Just going by time rather than miles. And the pace has been right around 9:35 - 9:40 or so. Not sure what happened but I ran almost 5 miles at a 9:25 pace, 46 minutes. I was only planing on 40 minutes but I ran a loop instead of an out and back and miscalculated a bit and was too far from home to stop so I stretched it a bit. I felt fine, actually, I felt great, felt like i could keep going. Nothing is sore but I've got to be careful. At this mileage, I don't really have any fatigue to act as a governor on the throttle. Gots to use the old noggin a bit better.

Marathon Maniac #3309

Bill, I was talking about my run Monday being a temp run, not last night (last night was considered an easy run). Monday, may not have really been a true tempo run actually, but it was 10 miles at MP and made me sore and tired last night trying to run my 1/2 mile repeats. BTW, you may not like track work...but you sure do very well with your tempo runs Bill (nice progression with your paces) Smile TimBo

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Hill Runner

Good morning all, This was my first run since Saturday...just taking a break for a bit. I got right back into the groove with no problems. 10.05 miles of hills @ 8:57 pace...started out a little misty but ended the run with beautiful sunshine!

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Good Morning. Just another quick fly by. I was out for 4 miles Tuesday morning, 3 miles yesterday morning and took this morning as a rest day. Tomorrow I plan on an easy 2 miles before my 25K Saturday. Although, as I typed this I just got a phone call that my husband's Aunt passed away last night, so I'm not sure when the service will be. If it is Saturday, I won't be racing. She was only in her early 60's and found out she had terminal brain cancer last fall. Another reminder to enjoy each day as if it were your last .....

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                  It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Smart running Tim Hopeful sorry about your DH's aunt.. Best wishes to you, your husband and family. Feeling a little bit better today. Will do 8X800 with the speed group tonight. Nothing crazy as I need to stay healthy with the marathon about two weeks away. The hard work is done, just need to stay sharp and healthy. Should be a wet one for the group tonight. Will run the trails vs the track.. Cheers Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Tramps

Well that was a humbling experience; a 9-mile swampy run where I blew up and faced the walk of shame at the end. Yuck. I thought I was going nice and slow but when I hit the second big hill—wham!—I just pooped out. I slogged out a couple more miles trying to keep my HR down but that didn’t work. Heck, my HR was around 140 walking! I called it a day and tried to enjoy the stroll home. Haven’t had one of these in a good long time. H&H 1; Tramps 0. My Garmin went nuts today, too. The satellite map shows me tromping through thick woods for a couple of miles….which might explain some things. Tim—good for you. George—I’m guessing it was an adrenaline-fueled run prompted by the anxiety produced by last night’s OT loss. I feel your pain. Philly? I remember the Broad Street Bullies. 'Nuf said.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Another quick post, one of these days my life will slow down enough to be able to sit at a computer and play catch up. 2 recovery miles plus pilates. Instead of attending a class, which is what I have done in the past, I am doing pilates and yoga at home this quarter. without a class structure it is difficult to stay motivated, but I know the benefits of doing them is priceless as injury prevention. Off to the radio to do some recording for this Sunday's health program. Enjoyed reading yesterday's thread...srlopez, surffing??? yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!! deez4boys, great run yesterday!!!!! you should be proud of yourself. cranium, update on dear old dad? hi busimanCool theresa, how is it going sistah. still so proud of MaEconoBig grinBig grin

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

Tramps, Tramps tsk, tsk . . . Don't you know the first rule of Garmins? They are always right, accurate to within 2 feet even! Haven't you read all the race reports proving that? Why heck, half the races are measured way too long! People point out all the time that their Garmin and that of several friends measured this marathon or that one at 26.4 miles and sometimes more! Why if Garmins were not the most accurate devices on earth how could all these people be saying things like that? Confused Dude, get with the program. You ran through those thick woods whether you remember it or not! Maybe you should get checked for memory problems? Big grin All of the Philly defenders have obviously never had a lesson in old Vaudeville humor! How can anybody forget such classics as: There was a contest. First prize was a week in Philadelphia and second was two weeks in Philadelphia. You know you are from Philadelphia when you visit New York and notice how clean it is. W.C. Fields proposed the following epitaph for his gravestone, "Here lies W. C. Fields. I would rather be living in Philadelphia." Good running to all today from waterlogged CT!

Live like you are dying not like you are afraid to die.

Drunken Irish Soda Bread and Irish Brown Bread this way -->  http://allrecipes.com/cook/4379041/

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! Sue – “depositis interruptis” Big grin Breger - awesome! Mary – sorry to hear about your DH’s aunt. 9 miles for me this foggy morning, with miles 3-7 at 8:42, 8:45, 8:45, 8:43, 8:44. At my recent marathon my MP averaged out to 9:04, but 8:45 is still my goal MP for the fall. Happy Thursday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

George—I’m guessing it was an adrenaline-fueled run prompted by the anxiety produced by last night’s OT loss. I feel your pain. Philly? I remember the Broad Street Bullies. 'Nuf said.
                              Ha! Maybe that was it! I was thoroughly disgusted last night. They should've lost 8-1. Miracle they made it to OT. Whoever wins Friday wins the series. My next run is Saturday morning, hope I'm in a better mood for it.

Tramps

Ha! Maybe that was it! I was thoroughly disgusted last night. They should've lost 8-1. Miracle they made it to OT. Whoever wins Friday wins the series. My next run is Saturday morning, hope I'm in a better mood for it.
                                I hear ya. Without that fluky Ovechkin goal at the start, this would have been over a lot sooner. Oh wait...you were talking about the Bruins. Tongue At least we're still up 2-1.

Be safe. Be kind.