Masters Running

exercising and ageing (Read 382 times)

Maniac 505

This article was recently posted on the Marathon Maniac's bulletin board, I thought it would be food for thought for all here. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102703029 personally, I really like to walk, I enjoy cycling. I tolerate my gym workouts since that improves my running. when I am injured and have to transition to the elliptical or other cross training, I slog through it, but I am depressed I know, some day, the time will come that running is no longer an option. I hope it is long in the future since that is my passion. I would love to be one of those 80 year old runner with 600 marathons under my belt. winning age group awards because no one else in my age group shows up. I realize odds are against it. still I hope I am at it for MANY more years. I also hope that when the time comes to hang up my running shoes, I can transfer my passion to something just as healthy. Dave

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

thanks dave. It's probably a lot easier for us fitness runners mostly lookin' for some exercise goals and fun but, for a guy like you who used to do only one or two speedy, competitive, BQ'ing, sub-3:30 marathons a year and who never could relate to the marathon maniac mindset at all, I somehow think you've finally got it figured out. Yakima River Canyon Marathon, divechief - 4:48:00 [<>arf-4:48:00)>>>] Maui, HI Oceanfront Marathon, divechief -- 5:26:12 [<>arf-5:26:12)>>>]

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

evanflein

Wow, do you guys cross holding hands? That's so sweet! I'd never worry about a BQ again if I could do that with my DH. Sad Dave, I think you'll be running for years to come. Your goals, plans and approach may change, but I don't think you'll be hanging up the ol' shoes anytime soon.

Maniac 505

We often cross holding hands. Yakima was the first race that Arf was faster than me Smile With a couple miles to go, I could tell she was really strong and my legs were fading. I told her to go ahead and I backed off a little. the time isn't official, I probably crossed 30 seconds behind her.
          Wow, do you guys cross holding hands? That's so sweet! I'd never worry about a BQ again if I could do that with my DH. Sad Dave, I think you'll be running for years to come. Your goals, plans and approach may change, but I don't think you'll be hanging up the ol' shoes anytime soon.

Marathon Maniac #957

I know, some day, the time will come that running is no longer an option.
            Not necessarily. I think that as we age we need to be more careful how we train, listen to our bodies more closely, learn when to back off and rest/heal, spend more time x-training at other activities, etc., but if you do these things (and have no other unforeseen health problems), you should be able to keep running for a lonnnnggg time, if more slowly. I think the people who “blow out their knees” are often those who pushed themselves too hard, not listening to their bodies, and consequently got injured too many times, eventually finding they can’t run at all. At my marathon last weekend, I had my butt kicked by 2 white-haired old geezers who came in far ahead of me, both of them looking quite fresh by the time I came across the finish, to my great admiration and annoyance.

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

"older but not dead yet"

I think this article is very appropriate for our group. Look at all the {{{{{}}}}}}'s that are given for fellow runners' injuries, aches and pains. It took me a long time to be able to honestly do an introspective evaluation of my positive addiction to running. Even now, my wife will say "You were there once - don't you remember?" Luckily at 60 (even though my ortho guy told me I have arthritic knees) I can still run if I choose to. That's the operative phrase. We have to take control. Let's face it. Just read some of our threads. It looks like for some of us, life has no meaning if we can't run? It's not easy to step away from something you love and were very good at before you have to. Just what is the demarcation between having running as a positive addiction to that of it becoming a negative addiction? Is it the level and frequency of our injuries, is it the emotional ennui we suffer when we can't run, is it refusal to reconcile ourselves with the fact that we're getting older and can't perform like we could and/or like we want to? When I retired in 2004, I actually thought I would step right back into road racing and clean up in my age group. Yes. I had gained a lot of weight from lifting and not doing as much aerobic exercise as I used to but my mind was in another place. That place was in my late 20's and 30's and even into my early 40's when running was easy, joyful and rewarding. But I had to face reality. I was in my late 50's and my metabolism had really slowed down. To do the requisite work needed to get back into top shape was only causing injuries I never had. Really - I never had running injuries when I was younger and I attribute that to a balanced athletic lifestyle of basketball, lifting, running and cycling. Although at my peak when I set all my PR's I focused primarily on running and had the skinny runner's build that all good runners have. But now I'm trying to take back control of my athletic passions, rather than letting them consume me. It's not easy. I suffer from withdrawal pains. I constantly reminisce. I watch races envying the exploits of the top runners. I've even contemplated using PED's. But we have to take control of our bodies and our minds. Running might be our life. But is life our running? Alex (please don't ostracize me )
              Seeking the interface between the cerebral and the visceral.
              Slo

I'm glad I'm not the only one who day dreams about cleaning up my Age Group when I'm 72. Right now I can't fathom the day that I decidedly throw in the towel. The age group numbers do get pretty thin after 59 though. One of the regulars at the pool is a 72 year old, Thin, Buff (for a 70yr old) and limber. He almost always ask me about running. The dude is fit. He dosen't run but swims at least 3x/week. Strength trains 3x week, eats right and he bikes. He says he dosen't run because he never enjoyed it but envy's those that do run and enjoy it. Call it genes, call it staying active, I don't know. I do know though that your body is both "Use It or Lose It" and is capablable of "Overuse and Abuse" Funny thing........As I'm inputing this. A co-worker pops in. I noticed his shoe was untied and I pointed it out to him. He plopped down in my spare office chair....with a grunt.....and then out with another grunt as he bent over to reach his foot. He tied his shoe, slumped back in the chair and remarked that it's hell getting old. I kinda laughed and he said....."Just wait, when you reach 40 you'll know what I mean"........."How old do you think I am?"....I asked. When I told him I would be 44 in 3 months he got up and mumbled...."genetics"......LMAO. Some people really don't get it ! We are very fortunate that we learned how to enjoy the active lifestyle. Even if it didn't add years to our life, it certainly makes our later life more enjoyable.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

dive/arf - no particular reason but any finish photos or other secenic views along the way?

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

wildchild

Carolyn

Some good food for thought here. I didn't start running till I was 48, so I don't have any "good old days" memories of being young and fast and ache-free. Maybe that makes it easier to accept being old and slow? I think learning to accept our limitations will allow most of us to continue running well into old age. Enjoy the gift!

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Funny story, Slo_Hand! I still chuckle when friends my age or younger say, "Oh, I could NEVER do what you do!" Ha! I was ALWAYS the most unathletic kid in my class, so I know it's possible for just about anyone. It also reminds me of being in school and people telling me I was "lucky" to get such good grades. Yeah, right. I'm not really that bright, but studying a lot goes a long ways!
                        There are some runners on this board who are still doing a remarkable amount of training; I can think of several doing around 65-70 miles per week, so at least some of us are able to keep going in the late 50's and 60's-I'm going to keep my fingers crossed. I do enjoy beating younger runners, as well as those my age- and its great fun when they ask how old you are! I look younger than my real age, no hair loss and just a touch of grey at 58, so people can get a bit of a surprise!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

This is a great topic...... I just finished up my research paper for my communications class last week. My second of four essays that are required for the class. While the rest of the class were working on papers on abortion, gun control, gay marriage and a lot of other very interesting subjects, I chose mine on marathon training. We had to pick a topic where we could show pro/con or some sort of argumentative type essay paper and back it up with facts. The title of my paper: TRAINING FOR, AND RUNNING A MARATHON: FALLACIES AND FACTS The information I found while doing my research was amazing. I loved "knocking" down the myths and following up in the next paragraph with some amazing facts and studies. Most of my paper concentrated on "master running", and I proved that bones, joints and age are nothing but a number. We have all encountered some sort of injuries from time to time, but I learned soooo much from the research that I truely believe: EXERCISING AND AGEING make a great combination. Jewels
                          But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee