Masters Running

Monday's Daily, 11.19.12 (Read 426 times)

coastwalker

Mornin' everyone.

Just checking in to see how everyone is faring at the beginning of this holiday week. I spent too much time racewalking, raking, and cutting and stacking wood yesterday, and so chose to rest my fatigued muscles this morning. As usual, I felt guilty about 5 minutes after the decision was made, but I stuck with it anyway, and am glad that I did. Tomorrow's another day...

Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

5 soggy miles with my RP...

Congrats to all the Monkey Runners!!!

Looking for a place to Happen, making stops along the way - The Hip
      Tramps

Yes, congrats on the Monkey.  Sounds like Carolyn finally found a nice flat course at sea level for a PR. Wink

Clarinetists and symphony group presidents, too.  What a talented group.  I can only play my iPod. 

Kind of gray and gloomy this morning for an easy 7 miler.

Be safe. Be kind.

Mariposai

Please add my name to the wet, gloomy and soggy run this morning. Only three miles to recover the tired leg. I had a hard weekend of running. Friday was tempo, Saturday was hilly LR, Sunday was a 10 miler. This is the 3rd day in a row that I had the blessing of running in the rain. Black eyeI don't live on lynden's enke's tetsujin's and divechief's side of the state, for heaven's sake!

Jay, good boy for listening to your tired legs, after all our muscles grow stronger when resting.

Please allow me to brag about my friend Soraya. She had a total lifestyle transformation about three years ago. I guess my constant posting about my runs on facebook, together with some other friends inviting her to zumba classes took her off the coach into fitness.

She posted this picture  of her on Facebook. Doesn't she looks stunning now!!!

Carpe diem, my friends!

"Champions are everywhereall you need is to train them properly..." ~Arthur Lydiard

King of PhotoShop

Wow!  That's some weight loss!

Now I'm confused (as usual).  The Monkey pictures were great, but I can't seem to find in one place a list of the people who were there, their times, and who ran PR's. Can someone condense all this for me in one post?  I am happy for all of you, having a chance to get together and running so well.

Ten miles yesterday at White Rock Lake with Spare Tire. While he ran 9.3 around the Lake, I went off and did my wave run, jogging back to him after each fast mile, so we both got in good workouts.  Today was 3.5 slow recovery and a stretch at the Y.

Welcome to Cindy from RA. What is happening at RA that is causing people to come here? Anyway, we all welcome new visitors.  Spareribs

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

Spareribs- the RW site has had spam attack problems for years. At one time, if a post or poster was reported so many times it would be hidden until a mod could look at it. A year or so ago, someone abused that power and reported everyone and everything on the forum next door on a weekend. From Friday afternoon until Monday morning, the kids play without supervision.

Then, spammers posted 100-200 times a day while being reported. 15 minute old threads can be on page 2. 'Spam bump' crews would search for good threads to bump above the spam. For hours. This was a way of life. The site was shut a few months ago for a 'fix' that would help with the spam.

Things were somewhat better until the site was down for an upgrade last week. The new look is painful to look at, no really, it hurts your eyes. Most of the functions are no longer working, and we had a spambot invasion this weekend.

Several of the RW posters are IT people. There is a very simple fix. RW refuses to do it. Somehow, accounts are created for the spambots.

The editors even brag on the forum about record revenue and increased site traffic after a week long spam invasion. I give up, and a lot of others do too this time.

stumpy77

Trails are hard!

The editors even brag on the forum about record revenue and increased site traffic after a week long spam invasion. I give up, and a lot of others do too this time.

Wow, nice spin.  Roll eyes

Welcome to RA.  Great spot to be for support, humor, and general good feelings.  Sanity, maybe not so much.  but being a runner, you should understand that part, too.

ETA:  6.1 miles yesterday in the a nice frost.  slight negative splits for the last couple.  tiny little bit of improvement--amazing what happens when you go from once a week to 3 or 4 times for a couple of weeks.  Hope it contiues.

Need a fast half for late fall.  Then I need to actually train for it.

King of PhotoShop

Here are two topics in today's DMN running blog that I know everyone on this forum can relate to. One is facetious, the other is deadly serious:

http://runningblog.dallasnews.com/2012/11/the-toughest-post-race-workout-ever-and-other-random-thoughts.html/

Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Why is it not surprising that Carolyn got a PR at the daunting Monday?

After 83 sunny days this summer, today’s the most drenching rains since one of the Lake Washington floating bridges sank during the 1990 Seattle Marathon that I signed up for at the last minute just to experience foul weather running for the first time. Today, cars are splashing water off the freeway onto the Dearborn sidewalks below like cascading waterfalls as pedestrians hope they can dash under in between. 
                    <<<<<<STOP>>>>>>in case she still thinks we're sane, don’t let TM Cindy read this>>>>>>>>>

but I’m really hoping it will be this bad, if not worse, to make for another memorable SM. 

At least I won’t have to worry about my shoes getting wet. 

No wonder I love running so much. 

ps - I wonder if anyone else might be in town over Thanksgiving to enjoy the fun.

Seattle Rain 450Urban_market.jpg 

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

stealth.rnr

She laughs at me......

I ran in Seattle 3 years ago (not the marathon). It wasn't raining.

It doesn't rain much were I live. I would love to run in the rain.

mrrun

Ribs - in the Northeast there are still plenty of runners over 70,  I will say more of them run 10K and 5K, rather than the half or full.  Once you're no longer running 12 or 13 minute miles, many folks drop out of the half.

Ran 4 at lunch - said 37, but felt much warmer.

My DIL lost 75 pounds thru diet and exercise and looks like a different person - it's wonderful!  She's sort of apologetic that she hates to run, but I say the best exercise for you is the one you will do!

stumpy - great to see you running again!

Welcome Cindy!

Congrats to the monkeys!

marj

My PC died yesterday (hoping it's only a power supply) so I'm using my tablet for now. Only trouble is that I get a really narrow box for entering text. Anyway, it continues to look and feel more like early Spring than late Fall around here. Foggy and mild this morning for a 6-miler with a friend, followed by breakfast and then over to the senior center to pick up my Meals on Wheels delivery containers. Looks like IRC continuing thru the weekend, so...

Doug, runnin' cycling in Rochester, MI

"Think blue, count two, and look for a red shoe"

King of PhotoShop

I should have thought of that Henry.  I'm going to start looking at the stats for the 5 and 10K's to your point.  On TG day we have our huge Turkey Trot in Dallas, an 8-miler, and people come from all over to run it. I imagine we'll have 30,000 or so as it's an old race and families come together.  A big part of that number will be people doing the untimed walk in the 5K. But I'll check the stats for both and see if there is a similar trend.  Thank you.  Spareribs

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

Once you're no longer running 12 or 13 minute miles, many folks drop out of the half.

Others just enroll in the remedial division of Marathon Maniacs!

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

Wow, Posie!  That's an incredible weight loss for your friends.  Kudos to her!!

Cindy - Love a good rescue story.  Smile

First day of vacation - so far so good.  4 EZ miles this a.m. in very windy conditions, which worked great when the wind was at my back. Big grin  Now I'm watching the season premiere of "Burn Notice," then it's off to do some transcription.

Leslie
                                Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
                                -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance