Masters Running

40s+ On the Run - w/e 12/13/08 (Read 483 times)

I'm too tired to think of a catchy title or saying, but . . . . . My "if the stars are all aligned" goal today was to finish in 4 hours (with fingers crossed). My realistic goal was 4.5 hours. I finished around 3:52!! I forgot to turn off my Garmin, and it read 3:55:something. Finished in under 4 hours! Woop woop!! I am definitely going to do this run again. Gorgeous terrain (if you like the desert), perfect weather, overcast and cool. Just about everything when perfect. I'll tell you guys more later, but I'm so tired and sleepy right now that it's beddy bye time. We have to get up around 4:00 a.m. if we're going to make it back up north in one day. But under 4 hours! Ack! Big grin Big grin Big grin

Leslie
    Living and Running Behind the Redwood Curtain
    -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Sally McCrae-Choose Strong

Bare Performance

Good Monday morning everyone...... Woot, woot to Leslie......you certainly beat your goal time. Way to go! Looking forward to a RR when you get around to it. Glad the weather cooperated for ya. All your hard work paid off! Sounds like a nice 5k you had there Jim....way to pace Lynda on that first mile. How's the hip? Hope everyone has a great week. I know I will....last week of school and I get a whole month off. Jewels
      But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee
        Jim and Lynda....5Ks are fun to run. Nice work. fatozzig....INCREDIBLE!! Enjoy and rest up...you deserve it. flajewels...enjoy you time off, I'm sure you've deserved it. I'm icing down the legs after yesterdays run. No running for me today.
        Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM

Queen of 3rd Place

Leslie - WOOT! Great news -all those hill repeats were worth it - and maybe your aunt's cookin' helped, too... "Pacer" Jim - you're a sweetheart.. Carol - ugh - NOTHING is worse than the tummy bug. It makes time stand still. Jewels - enjoy a little holiday cheer, everyone deserves a break Big grin evryday - nice going on your long run! Had a nice, easy 6.9 + HM, ran my 6.9 before the start, took a porta-pot break and 5 min later was off for the HM! "Students Run LA" was there in force - this is an organization that gets kids, particularly inner-city kids, out and running with the ultimate goal being the LA Marathon. I had to chuckle, because most of those kids went out flying and came in trudging - one thing they'll learn from running is a little patience! Wink I took it easy at an average pace a bit under 11mm, honestly with the crowds and entertainment (same thing, sort of) it just sort of went by and ended up feeling like a normal long run, I definitely had more miles or more speed in my legs - so this schedule of upping the long run every other week is really working. I think I've also got the hydrating and fueling thing more dialed in, doing Gatorade Endurance, very occasional water from the aid stations, and 2 gels over the course of the 20. Had a HUGE lunch (cheeseburger and fries, one of my favorite indulgences Yes ) with my mom to celebrate conquering the dreaded 20 mi mark - of course she thinks I'm nuts... Arla

Ex runner

Way to go Arla.....whatever plan you're following, it's working! What a fabulous 20 mile run you had. Congrats! Mojo was in the air this weekend for Leslie and Arla...... Jewels
            But in the end, I'm more afraid of not trying, than failing. JJJessee

Ultrachick

Hey Everyone! Congratulations Leslie!!! WooHoo! Fabulous finish time! And Arla too! Good job on your 20 miler! I've been busy with I don't know what-it certainly hasn't been anything to bring me any income. Anatomy is almost finished-the final test is due the 15th. Hopefully this week I make some time to study for it. I spent today doing the last homework assignment and test. And keeping the home fire burning-it's freezing here-it may have gotten to 10 and it's already back to 0 and go figure rain is predicted for tomorrow. So I broke my 3 week streak and didn't run today. I ran 17 miles yesterday-the longest since the 'big one' last September and I was a bit sore today. So in response to my soreness, I'm taking the rest of the month easy believe it or not. What easy is I don't know-40 mile weeks? Less than 40? Hold me to it guys! I've already run further this year than last year so I figure I'll leave myself more room for improvement next year by slowing down a bit now. But how the he-- am I going to lose the 8 or so pounds I've put on? I need help-Jack says I eat too much-other (trainer) friends say I don't eat enough...what's a 40 year old to do?! I couldn't comfortably fit into my freshly laundered size 6 pants today so I'm wearing an old pair with an elastic waist band. I'm gaining weight just by stressing about it. I'm hoping by not running today that some of my excess insulation will melt off overnight. Does anyone have a magic wand? Big grin Kelly MTA I almost forgot...check this out...http://vtsports.com/articles/reader-athletes-kelly-wilson
              If you never go fast, you'll never go fast.

flatland mountaineer

Hearty congradulations to Leslie, it all seems to be coming together for you now. Arla consistant training is sure workin' for you, nice race/20 miler. We did a race in Colorado one time with a bunch of Denver at risk youth, same experience, they went blowing by me huffing and puffing but it didn't last. Wink Jewels enjoy your break, you have had a busy fall!! Ev hope your not too sore after yesterdays long run. You sure been consistant. I enjoyed your thought of the day, but didn't always comment 'cause I'm still somewhat of a newb at this sport. 'Spose Kelly is deep in finals week now. Hope Cindy is doing well with the Summit County gig. Joe hope you had some good trail outings this weekend. Carol hope you are feeling better now. I was a little sore yesterday from sat race despite running a slow first mile. I tried to run the next 2 at a pace faster than my 5k pr race pace, couldn't do it. Anyway got in 6.5 yesterday at a whopping Twa Elve pace, legs just wouldn't move for the first 3 or 4. Rest day today on the run front. Spent most of the morning watching the grain market quote screen trying to manage grain hedge positions . We have erased nearly all of the gains of the last 2.5 years of a bull market in 4 short months. Hauled in the final part load of corn we finally got to harvest from muddy spots that froze up last week this afternoon. Was going to change oil in that truck while it was hot but got lazy and called it a day, and got ready for the nite markets.

The whole world said I shoulda used red but it looked good to Charlene in John Deere Green!!

Support Ethanol, drink the best, burn the rest.

Run for fun? What the hell kind of recreation is that?  quote from Back to the Fut III

Left Ridgecrest at 5:15 a.m., and two stops for gas, two stops for food, one stop to pick up the VW, drop Dad off with all his stuff and the VW (about 20 minutes), and I finally got home at 9:00 p.m. It was a long day, but it also went by fast. Dad and I split the driving, with me making him drive once we hit 580 until we got through Santa Rosa, since we had the VW in tow. Big grin I was gonna try, but as soon as we hit 6 lanes one way, I started stressing. I had already freaked myself out 3 times by looking in the rear view mirror and seeing a car driving right up my tailgate. Roll eyes Not much residual soreness from the run, except the upper part of my quads, and my right ankle, which I think is from all the sand. Other than that, I feel good. Farmer Jim - Nice pacing job for Lynda. What a great husband you are!! Wink Arla - Nice 20-miler, girlfriend. You are going to do fantastic with your marathon. Ev - How're the legs feeling? Kelly - The weight gain. (((heavy sigh))) Welcome to the 40s. It's all downhill from here on out. Smile Just kidding. It does seem to be unexplainable, though. For instance, for some inexplicable reason, I gained 5-6 pounds over the past 3 months. Not eating more, exercising the same or more. Then over the Thanksgiving holiday, I lost 3 - and ate a whole berry pie. Go figure. I haven't got on the scale in the last week, and am not sure I really want to. But hitting 40 seems to make your body go all wonky. Plus, your body is having to adjust to a lower activity level. It may take it awhile to balance out. Okay - It's now 9:50, I got some food in me, all the cats are in, and I'm going to bed. Nite!

Leslie
                  -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Hello 40s+! Arla, what a great way to get your 20 miler in....coupling it with a fun HM. Nice job. And your paying attention and practicing your hydrating and fuel....very smart. That will come in handy at DW. Having it all planned out prior to will allow you to concentrate on other things. Ultra....great article! Thanks so much for pointing to it. You need to put that link on your website. How's that going by the way? I need to stop by there occasionally. And remember YOU have the magic wand. Hey I've always wanted to ask someone in the know....is the knee bone really connected to the shin bone? Big grin (ref. your mention of anatomy class) Jim....I don't know if you're interested or not....I toured a biodiesel plant the other day. This plant starts out with a "animal fat" stock to end up with their fuel. Some plants start out with a "vegetable based" stock. Either way it's has an agriculture source. fatozzig....I haven't missed your RR have I? Looking forward to it. The legs feel greta! I nearly always ice them especially after long or hard runs. I figure it's preventative. Ice is a runners friend. (plus I can lay around for awhile with the ice pack and tell DW, "Sorry, Honey, can't < insert="" least="" favorite="" activity="" such="" as="" mow="" the="" lawn,="" paint="" the="" house,="" trim="" the="" trees,="" clean="" the="" gutters,="" shovel="" snow="" /> just yet....gotta ice the legs.") Speaking of snow, it's coming down here. Maybe this afternoon I'll get my first snow run of the season in. Good runs to all.
                    Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                      Whooshemammas all around it seems! Way to to go our weekend racers and pacers Smile. Leslie, that's just got to feel good beating your time goal like that! AND no serious afer-effects. Even better! You have made so much progress. I'm always amazed at your varied schedule, and it seems like you have added some nice speed to your repertoire. Arla, you're definitely well staged for your marathon. And it seems that the nice steady ramp up has kept you injury free as well. You've picked up a bit of speed, I believe. Jewels, glad you are looking forward to the next round of school. You still doing a half? Which one? Evryday, snow huh? The cold air hasn't quite reached us yet, but had some thunderboomers last night. Jim, it's amazing how a race can take it outta ya...even a 5K. That running bug that bit Lynda seems to be turning into a chronic condition Smile. I have a dumb question -- why do you watch the grain markets? Is it so you can protect the price at which you buy seed to plant, or are you trying to protect against changes in the price you get for what you are selling? You have totally destroyed my illusion that one can escape technlogy in farming, LOL! I guess Cindy's mountain house is our last hope to escape technology....hey up there Cindy....how's it going in ski bum land? Awesome pics last week by the way. Kelly, if you discover that wand, please do share. Sounds like you are in a period of finding balance in all things...food, exercise, work/life, etc. I gotta check out your link...just noticed it. How's your website coming along? Thanks for all the get well wishes. I am MUCH better, though actually had to take time off from my work from home job last week, so am very behind there. Thankfully hubby did not catch it! Went for a 3 mile walk on Sunday, an planning a lunch time ease back in run today. Catch you later Smile
                      Progress Trumps Pefection
                        Morning, Friends! Kelly - Great article! Was that published in a local newspaper? Hopefully, you'll get some clients out of it. Carol - I musta missed the part about you not feeling well. Sorry. Embarrassed I'm glad you're feeling better, though. Smile Ev - Loved your "inserts" of what you cant' do because you need to ice your legs. I finally got to work at 9:30 this a.m., although no one's here, so it's no big deal. It was brrrr cold this morning, and the first time I've seen frost everywhere. Guess I'll get to try out my new winter running shirt I bought in July! The Hub's gone 'til the 15th. Went to Texas on a solo vacation - San Antonio, Austin, and some loop he figured out. LOTS of questions from family as to why he went. "Because he had a week of vacation he needed to use." "Why Texas?" "Why not?" "Is he doing something there?" "Vacationing." (for some reason that's been hard to understand.) "Why did you go?" "I didn't have a week of vacation left." "Oh . . ." I keep telling people, our time apart is what keeps us from killing each other, which is why we're still married. Big grin So it's just me and the kiddo cats, and a clean house for a week. (((sigh))) My vacation. Yes

Leslie
                        -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

Queen of 3rd Place

Kelly's a celebrity! How cool izzat? "Easy" 40mi weeks - ummm....that's my *goal* for next year Embarrassed Leslie - enjoy your vacay...be good Evil grin Jim - sitting around making hedge positions - ugh - makes my blood pressure creep up just thinking about it - hope it's working out as well as can be expected in this market - I'm assuming decreasing oil prices are having an effect on you. You marathoners - how many gels do you consume over the course of a marathon? An hour before the run I had a biscotti (maybe 200 calories) and I took 2 gels plus about 16 oz of Gatorade Endurance for a total of around 400 additional calories on my 20-miler, and felt completely great. Do you think I just need one more gel or are we talkin' a whole different ballgame once I get to the full marathon distance? Have to brag - looking at the race results from my 6.9 + HM - I ran a negative split with 11:19 pace at 10K but 10:42 overall!! And the second half was hilly! Yes Arla

Ex runner

jfa

Hi Kids- such a busy bunch we are!! Not quite the same without Cindy around tho.... Undecided Leslie- Great Race!!! Sounds like your training leading up to it really paid off.Hopefully you kept a log and can repeat what made it work.Happy the weather worked out for you .Enjoy your solo time! Arla- Great Race! for you too!Negative splits!Awesome! How did you feel after? Sounds like your full should go well. I think that you can use more gu's over a 20? Might give you more energy. I use them about every 5 miles. Jewels- Happy for you that your time off is coming up! You deserve it! A whole month off,you'll have plenty of running time to get ready for your half! Kelly- nice write up for you! Very impressive about your 100 miler.Do your boys run with you on those 5k's?Can't help you with the losing weight part but just look around at the average Americans in your life.Bet that makes you feel better. Carol- Glad that you're feeling better and out walking.Hub's probably happy that you don't share everything with him! Good luck easing back into it. Ok Evryday-things are looking quite dramatic for Sunday's war game. Both teams coming off of losses though it certainly means more for the Cowboys than Giants. My team doesn't seem to handle prosperity very well and has a way of keeping things interesting. Jim- Nice going with your pacing the race for Lynda last week! Did you tell her that "you're as young as you feel" ?You're a braver man than me if you spend any time watching the market! For me, my 401k is now a .401k and the market's a treacherous roller coaster ride! I'm just really thankful every morning that I'm still going to work. Been having more fun running than should probably be legally allowed. Ten on Fri night including over a mile on the beach sand with Buddy(water temps in the 40's and he still jumped right in the ocean).After about 8-10 days stretched out since summer, finally finished clearing land at the in-laws for them on Saturday. That cross-training is brutal but managed 11m on the snowy trails on Sunday morn. Out for 8.5m of hills at lunch today and am closing in on 2000m for the year!

Have to brag - looking at the race results from my 6.9 + HM - I ran a negative split with 11:19 pace at 10K but 10:42 overall!! And the second half was hilly! Yes Arla
                              What a studette!!! The GU stuff, first - yuck! Second, I have no clue. I'm still working on the fuel department. At about Mile 13 Sunday, I thought I was gonna chuck my cookies. Managed to gag down 1/3 of a Clif bar, and that helped. I really need to find something that's easy to carry and more palatable for those times since I don't seem to be able to do the distance without the onslaught of nausea. MTA: Hi, Joe! We musta been posting at the same time. Sand Running - I should've done that in prep for the run I did. My ankles are still sore.

Leslie
                              -------------

Trail Runner Nation

Bare Performance

xor

You marathoners - how many gels do you consume over the course of a marathon?
                                I carry four. I usually eat 2 or 3. M12 to start. The second one somewhere between M16 and M20. If I took it at M16, then the third one pops out at M20-21. During an 'uh oh' race where I eat all 4, I know that something's up because I feel the need to eat the first one M8ish. In Seattle a couple weeks ago, I had a particularly yucky race foodwise and grabbed a couple spares from the aid stations that had them. Six is a record for me in a marathon. I know a lot of people that take more. And a great many people that eat none. It's something that has to be tested and adjusted through trial and error. Alas, 'error' can not be pretty sometimes.