Masters Running

Tue Jun 17 Runs and Workouts (Read 473 times)

Did I get in ahead of Vista? Good morning, everyone. Hopefully, I'm back on the East Coast for a while -- maybe you'll see me here early again. As much as I like hot and humid, today's run was a bit of a relief. While it was still humid at 90%, the temps were a pleasant 61F, which made for an enjoyable run. I thought it might rain for a bit, but it held off. Workout: 7.1 miles, 8:14/mi, AHR 153 Overall: 8.1 miles, 1:07 I hope you have a great day.

Lou, (aka Mr. predawnrunner), MD, USA | Lou's Brews | lking@pobox.com

Marathon Maniac #3309

Morning WRFB and everyone else Smile Temps are very pleasant here with temps in the 50"s and low humidity. 40 miles cycling last night - moderate 18.5 ave mph pace. My thighs and quads were still too sore to run on. Feel better this morning, so I should be good to go tonight. Well, have 3 foot of paper work staring at me, so I better get with it. Hope all have a wonderful day today Smile Tim

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

Lou beat me this morning, and that is excellent. I have shut down the other daily thread. Good morning you fine running people. The weather at night is going down to a coolish 50's. This is most certainly a break from what we have had and is certainly welcome. I am following Erika's DS2's soccer tournament in Hawaii. They played their first game yesterday and lost by a 4-0 score to the Pride Predators. It looks like they have another game this morning at 8 AM (Hawaii time). Can you imagine being a kid and getting to play soccer in Hawaii? Heck, can you imagine being a parent with a kid playing soccer in Hawaii? Hopefully they will have a great time. That was certainly an entertaining golf match yesterday between Rocco and Tiger. It was hard to cheer against either one of them. The attitude of Rocco is a breath of fresh air. Those traveling this summer will find less traffic than recent years due to the price of gas. Our nation has shut down a whole lot of automobile use and most likely will learn a whole new attitude towards travel. Have a great day and enjoy your run. Joey
        Vista

Marathon Maniac #957

Good Morning! No run for me today - light x-training instead: dumbbell presses, seated bent over raises, flies, lying hammer curls, bench press, dumbell curls, various crunches. Off to an early ortho appointment with DS. Happy Tuesday!

Life is a headlong rush into the unknown. We can hunker down and hope nothing hits us or we can stand tall, lean into the wind and say, "Bring it on, darlin', and don't be stingy with the jalapenos."

I ran 6 miles with the local running clubbers this morning. The pace overall was around 8:50 mins/mile or so generally. But I ran up and down a couple of short hills really fast and hard, then waited for the group to catch up at the bottom. Then for the last mile I ran it at tempo pace (7:55). How can an Alaskan Soccer team end up playing in Hawaii? Cool for all involved though! Bill

"Some are the strong, silent type. You can't put your finger on exactly what it is they bring to the table until you run without them and then you realize that their steadiness fills a hole that leaks energy in their absence." - Kristin Armstrong

i'm lovin' it... MM#1949

Break in the humidity is coming but not here yet. 70F, 68F dewpoint at 5 am. First ever uphill repeats. 2.2 mi warm-up with Tory at about 9:40 pace. 1 mile to the 0.5 mile x 85 ft rise hill at 8:10 pace then 5 x .5 mi repeats with easy pace back down to the start. 0.5 mi Repeats up 85 ft hill: 3:45 (7:30 pace AHR165, Max172), 3:46 (7:32, 166, 173) 3:48 (7:35, 168, 175) 3:46 (7:32, 168, 177) 3:55 (7:49, 164, 175)... tried an easier start before the steep part but this did not work Smile CD home Overall 8.6 mi in 1:16:16 (8:52 pace) Why do repeats on flat when you can do them up hill and strengthen the legs? Have great runs! Steve

Perch's Profile "I don't know if running adds years to your life, but it definitely adds life to your years." - Jim Fixx "The secret is to make in your mind possible what was not possible before. The secret is to make easy what was difficult, instead to make difficult what really is easy." - Coach Renato Canova

The Jogger

Thanks for opening Lou and nice run. nice bire ride Tim, I'm waiting on my new one, it's a hybrid....Bet you enjoyed that last mile Bill, Hollly, good luck with your appointment and Vista glad you're enjoying the soccer. Nice hill work steve......... Went out for a 6 miler along the Centurian Way, bumped into a few escaped bulls, so decided to turn tail and head off in another direction, in case they took a shine to my red vest (glad I don't have red shorts) heads up a country lane through a field, ignored the bridleway sign and followed some tracks, ended up wading through long grass in the middle of nowhere. Turned out to be an interesting, hilly 10 miler Smile Anyway 10m 01:52:32 @ 11:15pace AHR 152 71% Good Runs All Roy
                  Good morning, all! Lou - nice to have you back on the East Coast and the top of the list! Roy - nice leg of the relay - great to knock minutes off the previous times! Glad you managed to avoid the bulls! Vista - I caught Tigers putt on Sunday that put them into sudden death - what a golfer! I was sorry not to get to watch yesterday. Mariposai - I want to hunt mushrooms too!! I love searching for morels, but I haven't had the opportunity for several years. {{{{{{{nonoruns}}}}}}}} I was fortunate that my Mom was willing to consider assisted living after my Dad passed away, but it was still hard on both of us. Hang in there. SteveP - love those chubby cheeks (on the child ;-). {{{{{{{{Tom's hammie}}}}}}} dg - I've loosely followed Higdon's marathon training program in the past and was happy with the results. I just started using a training program I found on the Runner's World site. It is semi-customizable - you plug in recent race distance and time and your average weekly mileage and it provides a training schedule. Jesse and I jogged 2 miles last night and walked another 2. She was bouncing off the walls after three days with little exercise. We just beat the rain and thunderstorms. Nice hilly 7.4 mile run along the Sound this morning - temps in the 50's with relatively high humidity. Average pace 9:54 and average heart rate 143. I'm enjoying the low heart rate now, because once the temps and humidity go up, so will the heart rate. Good runs to all!

Sue Running is a mental sport...and we're all insane! Anonymous

Mr. Chip & Mizz Rizzo

Yesterday was a rest day for me. This morning Brinkley, my neighbor and I were out for a 4 miler. First official day of marathon training!! Shocked I'm starting to get the "oh my what did I get myself into" feeling. 4 miles - 9:40 avg. pace - 161 AHR The puppies are taking more and more of my time, especially in the mornings so my posting will probably be limited for the next 2 weeks. Sorry I don't have time to do personals right now . . . so I'll leave you with this instead: Uncle Brinkley giving kisses to Lulu Jack Cheers!!!

~Mary

"My sunshine doesn't come from the skies,
                    It comes from the love in my dog's eyes."

~unknown

http:www.rawleypointkennel.com

Hill Runner

Good morning everyone, I just discovered compression shorts and I love them!...used them for the first time this morning. 10.11 miles of hills @ 9:17 pace...no chaffing at all and I felt great after. Good runs to all today.

Upcoming Races:

Boston Marathon, Boston,MA 04/15/13
                      Grandfather Mountain Marathon,Boone NC 07/14/13
                      Thunder Road Marathon, Charlotte NC 11/13

Marathon Maniac #3309

Good morning everyone, I just discovered compression shorts and I love them!
                        That is a recent discovery for me too....and I love um also. Nice run and pace too Smile

Running has given me the courage to start, the determination to keep trying, and the childlike spirit to have fun along the way - Run often and run long, but never outrun your Joy of running!

dg.

good morning! in a hurry so will probably say many stoopid things. hi La T! {{{nono}}} Mary, awwww. Have you been missing or have I just been missing your posts? I've been wondering about you. nice to have Lou back in the morning. nice runs, guys. Roy, bulls, really??? wtg on your relay. so glad to hear that the guy that collapsed is well & ran again. Tselbs, hugs to your hammies. What are you doing for it? There's so much collective experience here-- was wondering if you gave a few details, maybe you'd get some useful ideas. Did you ever see a doctor? i'm so sorry it's gotten worse again. which reminds me, Ribs, i'm really concerned that your ankle hurt again at this point of your recovery. how is it today? thanks, Sue. I'll take a look at that. track this morning. tough again, better take a look at what i'm doing, but not right now. either pushed the wrong polar buttons or just didn't push them hard enough, kept messing up, so this is an educated guess... unknown walking. run was 4:09 miles, average pace 10:18, max 7:35. ahr might have been 171, max was 185. wonder what i forgot. Hope Erika & the fam are enjoying Hawaii & soccer.
                            ...added my 3rd day//.......every damn dog in the neighborhood was out........ ah, ''GarbageDay''......Catch the Fever'' 30min easy run,,, ,,no aggressive mutts, just a LOT of barking,,,,, ................good running guys........woof.....

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Tramps

Nonoruns—hang in there. Mary—cute pics. 8 miles today, with 4 at a tempo pace. I haven’t done a tempo run in quite a while so I wasn’t sure what to aim for. I ran by feel and ended up with 4 @ 7:37, but I think that was a little too fast for me right now. I’ll slow down a bit next time. Cooler and dryer weather is on the way…just as I’m leaving town for work the rest of the week. I probably won’t post while I’m on the road. No fighting until I get back.

Be safe. Be kind.

How can an Alaskan Soccer team end up playing in Hawaii? Cool for all involved though! Bill
                                That is a good question. From what I have seen and in conversation with Erika, they have the country divided up into four segments for youth soccer. Both Alaska and Hawaii fall into the West Coast division and play in that tournament. Last year it was held in Las Vegas and I happened to be in Vegas at exactly the same time. I went to one of the soccer games. Later in the week Erika and I ran the Las Vegas strip early one morning. This year the tournament is in Hawaii. There certainly is a lot of opportunities in sports for kids these days. What a great experience.
                                Vista