Masters Running

Peaking in...Lil Engine...Bolder Boulder (Read 310 times)

Hey gang! I'm just peaking in to say hey. I'm still not running too much these days, thanks to the stoopid knees. The last time I went in to see my orthopedist, he basically checked my knees, winced, and said to call him when I was ready to consider surgery. He also said he wouldn't tell me not to run because he knew I'd go do it anyway, so I took that as permission. So I did go up for the Bolder Boulder, which was my slowest 10k ever, but I did run it all and I finished. Which at this point is really my only goal. I'm already registered for the Chicago Distance Classic in August, which will be my first half marathon, and I'm eyeing a couple of smaller races between now and then. In the meantime, I'll be hanging out in my basement on the elliptical, envying all of you outside running! Run a mile for me.
    "I think I can, I think I can..."
    evanflein

Hey Lil Engine, good to hear from you! How were your knees after the 10k? So if the doc says he won't tell you not to run, does that mean that your knees are just gonna be your knees, and running won't necessarily hurt them (just hurt you!)? That's sorta what mine said about my foot... Aggravating, because those things don't ever seem to go away then. Hmmm. Hope you can do a few miles at least every week, and the elliptical will help you keep in shape anyway.
      wildchild

Carolyn

Hey Lil Engine! Wasn't it kind of wet for the Bolder Boulder this year? It rained and hailed at my house all day. Glad you got out anyway, and I guess rain is better than scorching heat. Just curious, why are you running your first half in Chicago? Do you have friends or family there? Isn't it hot there in August? I'm signed up for my first half, too, next weekend in Frisco.

I hammered down the trail, passing rocks and trees like they were standing still.

...you got it lil//.......try to run on softer surfaces, if that's an option for you football fields, and padded infields at Stadiums make for a more comfortable run..... .......go easy, ok??.......do NOT want to blow those knees.......

..nothing takes the place of persistence.....

Top 'O the World!

I'll say "Hey!" in this thread too! Great to see ya back! Smile
            Remember that doing anything well is going to take longer than you think!! ~ Masters Group
            SteveP

It's great to see you Lil' Engine!!! One runner I always look for at races has had a number of surgeries. At least 7. Last Summer, she had her first sub 40 5K. AT the Bayshore, she had a 2:23 half!!

SteveP

Hey back at you, Lil Engine. Stick around and post with us.
                Quit being so damn serious! When we change the way we look at things, the things we look at change. "Ya just gotta let it go." OM
                coastwalker

Welcome back, Lil'E, Congrats on completing the Bolder Boulder. Tomwhite has a good suggestion - stick to softer surfaces when you do get outside to give your knees as much of a break as you can. Good luck in your prep for Chicago. Jay

Without ice cream there would be darkness and chaos.

MM#209 / JapanJoyful#803

So I did go up for the Bolder Boulder, which was my slowest 10k ever, but I did run it all and I finished. Which at this point is really my only goal.
                    Hi lily. we miss you so much. Congratulations on your new 10K PR 'cause that's what I call 'em nowadays. Tell your doc you don't need no stinkin' surgery 'cause you've figured out how to get good exercise and fun from runnin' and it don't have anything to do with having to be fast. Have fun in your summer races, - I dare you to walk them all!. Big grin

"Enjoy yourself. Your younger days never come again." 100yo T. Igarashi to me in geta at top of Mt. Fuji (8/2/87)

It's good to hear from you LilE. Good job on the Bolder Boulder and good luck with the half. You sure aren't letting those knees tell you what to do. TomS

GreenMan

Good to see you back Lil. Hope the elliptical works for you. jjj
                        Iron Mt. Trail Runners blogsite .... JJJessee blogsite ....Spring is here. Go outside and play.
                          Good to hear from you and to see you still running. Keep us posted please Tall

Recent Best times: None recently

Sad, sad, sad. I deliberately misspelled "peaking" and no one took the bait. I remember a day when 'Ribs would have fined me big for that one. Sad. Evanflein - the doc says running probably is hastening the inevitable, but it's inevitable anyway, so it's probably not a terrible thing to do. The therapy I did for a couple of months did improve things a bit, but this is pretty much they way they're going to be until I fix them. So I'm thinking maybe in December, after I've run all the races I want to this summer. (I use the term "run" very loosely these days.) Wildchild - my sister, Mighty Dog, is in Chicago. She my buddy and my running pal. So I'm running my first half with her. Meanwhile, I signed up for the Seagate Women's 8k on Sunday. We'll see how that goes (slow I bet Undecided )
                            "I think I can, I think I can..."
                            arf

MM #405

Congrats Lil E! I get to stop in here once in a while and see what everyone is up to. Glad I saw your RR Nothing wrong with being slow, at least you are getting out there and doing what you love! Think of all the people that don't have the courage to stand at the starting line...you inspire me. Wishing you a GREAT year ahead! Smile
                              evanflein

Sad, sad, sad. I deliberately misspelled "peaking" and no one took the bait. I remember a day when 'Ribs would have fined me big for that one. Sad. Evanflein - the doc says running probably is hastening the inevitable, but it's inevitable anyway, so it's probably not a terrible thing to do. The therapy I did for a couple of months did improve things a bit, but this is pretty much they way they're going to be until I fix them.
                                Well, I did catch the "peaking" but let it go. But I also caught the other one. Wink (sorry, catching typos is part of my job...)